C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Why speed limit on steel spare?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
ul9601   
Wed Jan 03 2018, 06:42am
Member No: #1975
Just had the spare out while cleaning out the boot etc - it has speed limit sticker showing 80kph.
I'm curious to know what the limiting factors are.
Looking at the mechanic's handbook (and the spare itself), the tyre is 97W and the 3.0i cars with optional 17" alloys have the same size, load and speed rating, so they shouldn't be an issue.
Is it just a matter of having one slightly different size tyre at one corner, as opposed to the spare tyre/wheel itself is speed limited?
e3steve   
Wed Jan 03 2018, 07:32pm
Member No: #1163
ul9601 wrote ...
Is it just a matter of having one slightly different size tyre at one corner, as opposed to the spare tyre/wheel itself is speed limited?

Good God, yes!

In order to achieve the correct rolling radius and with a suitable contact area, a space-saver wheel, being narrower in width, is greater in aspect ratio (wall height); this de-stabilises one corner of the car when the wheel is fitted, meaning that it will not grip as well as the other three corners when sideways stresses are applied or, more importantly, its smaller contact area lessens that tyre’s braking ability; thus, grip when cornering or braking is greatly reduced!
ul9601   
Wed Jan 03 2018, 08:19pm
Thanks Steve.
Is the steel spare wheel also used on other Citroens? (maybe C5?)
Call me crazy but I quite like the look... I wonder how they would ride if I have four of them on.
e3steve   
Wed Jan 03 2018, 08:42pm
ul9601 wrote ...

Thanks Steve.
Is the steel spare wheel also used on other Citroens? (maybe C5?)
Call me crazy but I quite like the look... I wonder how they would ride if I have four of them on.
Yep. You’re crazy...

I know that they’re preferred for winter tyre fitment for many, as 17” tyres are less expensive, and narrower tyres are better in snow... As demonstrated by Stig Blomqvist and Eric Carlsson!
gmerry   
Thu Jan 04 2018, 12:23pm
Member No: #21
Been driving on 4 of these wheels with winter tyres for last 8 winters.

If anything, ride is improved and difference in handling not noticeable.

The 80kph sticker is because PSA didn't have a 100kph one to hand!!!!!

Regards
ul9601   
Thu Jan 04 2018, 01:57pm
gmerry wrote ...

Been driving on 4 of these wheels with winter tyres for last 8 winters.

If anything, ride is improved and difference in handling not noticeable.

The 80kph sticker is because PSA didn't have a 100kph one to hand!!!!!

Regards

I did look at the photo of your wheel trim, they come across quite nicely. Speaking of which, you mentioned using old school centre caps, instead of the trim covering the whole steel wheel - did you seriously look into it? I'd be interested how that would look as I quite like the police car look that would bring...
Either way, I guess it's a cheaper way of getting a custom look and a better ride as a bonus! I definitely would consider that option next time I need a set of new tyres. The only downside is not having TPMS...
I wonder how the price of a set of 4 steel wheels (+shipping) from UK dealers would come out compared buying from the price gougers here...
Cheers
gmerry   
Thu Jan 04 2018, 02:57pm
Hi UL9601, my winter wheels are fitted with TPMS, no compatibility problems.

Which photo did you find of my trims and centre caps (they are all a little corroded now due to many seasons of heavily salted winter roads). Upside is that the alloys are pretty much like new.

regards
ul9601   
Thu Jan 04 2018, 03:22pm
gmerry wrote ...

Hi UL9601, my winter wheels are fitted with TPMS, no compatibility problems.

Which photo did you find of my trims and centre caps (they are all a little corroded now due to many seasons of heavily salted winter roads). Upside is that the alloys are pretty much like new.

regards

Wait, you have TPMS on the steel wheels?
- Click Here -
about halfway down you talked about chrome centre cap.
Page 5 of the same thread down the bottom has the photos of plastic wheel trim and metal centre cap.
I should play with Photoshop to get the right colour combo - I think gloss black wheel and centre cap to match body colour could work well...
ul9601   
Sat Jan 13 2018, 01:49am
FYI measured the wheel weight.
San Marin 5 with 245 45 R18 100W Michelin Primacy 3ST: 29kg
Spare steel wheel with 225 55 R17 97W Michelin Pilot Primacy Radial XSE: 24kg
I'm quite surprised there is this much weight difference, in favour of the steel spare.
e3steve   
Sat Jan 13 2018, 09:03am
Jeez! As am I!!
gmerry   
Thu Jan 25 2018, 10:08am
ul9601, yes my steel winter wheels, complete with working TPMS, are fitted with plastic trims and alloy hubcaps. see attached jpeg, from my 2011 post.

regards

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club