Door struts

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
JamesHammond   
Mon Jan 15 2018, 05:38pm
Member No: #3159
Hi all,

My first post so please be gentle with me.

I have a blue Exclusive which is a 2009 2.7. I am just about to start my 3rd year of ownership. The whole time I've owned the car the door struts that are supposed to keep the doors in an open position (unless a gust of wind catches it), on all four doors are absolutely useless. If the car is on the slightest of inclines the door will slam shut or open fully.

Is there a fix for this and has this been a problem for anyone else?
If there are any replacement parts required would you be good enough to share your wisdom & knowledge.

BTW, they all look quite rusty coloured.
C6Dave   
Mon Jan 15 2018, 06:48pm

Member No: #1
The door stops can show signs of rust on the surface (mine do probably from lack of use) and can often be 'noisy' because of that rust.

They were never 'tight' on the 3 C6 I have owned and the doors aren't lightweight, but I have had cars with far heavier doors (2 door Merc Convertible) which stayed open.

Maybe get 1 new one to compare with the old to see if they can be tightened up.

Front Door Stops part 9181J4 are £39.84 each UK retail

Rear Door Stops part 9184J3 are £33.60 each UK retail
Website
JamesHammond   
Mon Jan 15 2018, 08:56pm
Member No: #3159
Thanks for the quick reply.
vaho   
Tue Jan 16 2018, 06:22am
Member No: #2228
Each stop has two springs and generally only one of the springs fails/breaks. So the most cost effective way is to buy one front and one rear and repair the others with the good parts from the replaced stops.
C6Dave   
Tue Jan 16 2018, 08:19am

Member No: #1
vaho wrote ...

Each stop has two springs and generally only one of the springs fails/breaks. So the most cost effective way is to buy one front and one rear and repair the others with the good parts from the replaced stops.

I haven't actually removed one to take a look so that's good to know vaho.
Website
AndreSMCXXMC6   
Tue Jan 16 2018, 01:39pm
Member No: #615
Order some clips 7473.FL too.
When dismounting the door panel some will brake off.
e3steve   
Wed Jan 17 2018, 04:26am
Member No: #1163
AndreSMCXXMC6 wrote ...

Order some clips 7473.FL too.
When dismounting the door panel some will brake off.
They’re £1 (GBP) each! I managed to get all of mine out by using the correct tool, once the door card was separated from the door...
PercyPorcelain   
Tue Jan 30 2018, 09:59pm
Member No: #2027
I put silicone grease on my door struts as they are prone to corrosion from rainwater dripping down. I also put silicone grease on wing mirrors as they became a bit juddery which I thought would stress the motors. Incidentally, does anyone know where door pins go, as I've seen some smart after-market ones on europarts for only a tenner

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club