Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Does anyone know how to remove the JBL amplifier ?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
dgamos   
Sun Mar 22 2015, 04:35pm
Member No: #2030
I'm trying to sort a fault with the audio in my C6 Exclusive which I'm assuming is due to an amplifier fault, but don't know where the JBL amp is located and don't want to start removing panels unnecessarily. Can anybody point me in the right direction ?

I've noted the symptoms of the problem below in case anybody else has had this and fixed it:

Switch on ignition and audio works fine with sound coming from all speakers as normal. Approx 10 secs later sound disappears completely. All the audio functions appear to be working fine on the screen - radio, CD, Aux and phone etc, but just no sound. Switching the audio unit on and off makes no difference. Stop the car and take the key out the ignition and then start it again and the audio sound comes back on again for 10 secs before disappearing again. Very annoying, particularly as I'm commuting 2 hours every day !!
Any help gratefully received.
C6Dave   
Sun Mar 22 2015, 08:11pm

Member No: #1
If it's the same as the C4 (no reason why not) it's under the front pasenger seat - look at the retro fit tutorial for more info - Click Here -

The wiring diagram is in the archive - Click Here -
Website
dgamos   
Sat Apr 04 2015, 02:34pm
Member No: #2030
Just removed the AMP. For future reference it is attached (3 bolts, 2 top and 1 bottom) to the bulkhead to the right of the accelerator pedal (see picture). To get at it, you need to remove the lower driver side dashboard panels. Just bought a replacement on ebay, so hopefully that will solve the problem.

joopajaa   
Thu Jan 04 2018, 06:44am
Member No: #3261
Anyone have a clue where the AMP is on LHD version? Passangers footwell / bulkhead?
C6Dave   
Thu Jan 04 2018, 09:09am

Member No: #1
joopajaa wrote ...

Anyone have a clue where the AMP is on LHD version? Passengers footwell / bulkhead?

Is it not in the same place on all RHD & LHD cars so in the right side of the car?
Website
joopajaa   
Thu Jan 11 2018, 09:52am
Is there any material for the amp system with pinouts etc? If I guess I would say the amp is connected via 4-channel "speaker" outputs (with low-level selected from the radio).

I have a plan to replace the amp with a AUDISON PRIMA AP8.9BIT unit (8+1-channel) including DSP. It is ment to replace OEM amp/adding amp to OEM radio. Maybe just bridging it to 4 channels + sub channels. If there is no enough kick then I just add one more amp for the woofers (this AP8.9 has sub-pre out). All channels/slopes/time alignments fully configurable. I bought it few years ago and never installed it because changing cars too often (ok also my last car was equipped with really nice hifi system so no need for this.. unlike C6...)

I would also replace the "JBL" woofers on the parcel shelf with 8" or 10" real subwoofers as they are so plain on the C6. This one is a little problem with selecting freeair subs or constructing some enclosure under the shelf on the trunk.
joopajaa   
Mon Feb 19 2018, 07:24am
Anyone have a photo of the location or connectors?
321dave   
Mon Feb 19 2018, 12:33pm
Member No: #614
Its under the steering wheel, I'll try dig out something for you.
bargi   
Tue Feb 20 2018, 10:42pm
Member No: #2590
I'd be really interested in the details of this as well.
No as crazy as Joopa perhaps
joopajaa   
Mon Feb 26 2018, 07:05am
321dave wrote ...

Its under the steering wheel, I'll try dig out something for you.

This is for RHD car right? So it may bee on the right side of the car in the LHD also.
bargi   
Mon Feb 26 2018, 08:34am
Member No: #2590
Yes it'll be the same place for LHD and Rhd cars.
Citroen move as little as possible for RHD cars, it's why the glove box is tiny (full of fuses) and even the bonnet release is still on the left.

Please let me know how you get on. Definitely interested in how to tap into the amp and speakers
joopajaa   
Sat Nov 10 2018, 06:30pm
OK this projec is on it way. I added my 8-channel DSP-amp to original wiring harness with "minimal harm done" to revert any time I would like to the original. Basically I only needed to cut AMP power wire (lazyness, no need for new poer cable) and few speaker cables (run out of connectors while doing..).

It is doable - if one can have male "AMP"-connectors (the on the JBL amp) it would be almost "plug and play". The amp is located on the right front corner of the car - quite easy to locate on the LHD car (just remove the glove box). Might be a different story with the RHD since there is more stuff then on the way.

The concept is proofed - now I have to look how to finish this up:
- choose how to fix the amp to car
- decide if I want to solder all wires to have everything rock solid
- decide if I want to add second amp for bass channels only (actually those stock free air "subs" did not sound that bad)
- add (very) small capasitor to my amp's wiring to balance power peaks with the current stock power wiring (I added my own earth cable as its easy to "bolt on) with metal nearby

Actually this amp model DO have option to limit the current draw with stock wiring to 15A or 20A etc, I left un-limitimed for now.

It's a bit shame these cars don't have better speakers than the C5 or other models - only the amp and the subs are differenting from base models - thus giving undistorted sounds but still nothing "great" on the upper end. Or low :/

First proof of concept installment in my case:

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club