C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: 3.0 HDi Forum

Oil leakage ?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Tjensen   
Sat Dec 23 2017, 12:57pm
Member No: #954
When starting up yesterday the "check oil" warning came on. I checked and the level was a little low. I refilled one liter. The warning continued and during the day (driving 650km) i filled another liter.Today the warning disappeared. BUT: There is clearly oil spillage under the air filter box. What is under there ? Quite recently I had a full register belt and aux belt change, is there something that could go wrong with that ? The engine noise at startup/idle have worsened after this operation
321dave   
Sun Dec 24 2017, 08:53pm
Member No: #614
Tjensen wrote ...

When starting up yesterday the "check oil" warning came on. I checked and the level was a little low. I refilled one liter. The warning continued and during the day (driving 650km) i filled another liter.Today the warning disappeared. BUT: There is clearly oil spillage under the air filter box. What is under there ? Quite recently I had a full register belt and aux belt change, is there something that could go wrong with that ? The engine noise at startup/idle have worsened after this operation

Hi Tjensen,
Just wondering was the front turbo to intercooler pipe left lose or come lose after the garage, it would possibly leak a bit of oil under the air box at the front of the air box. If it was fully off you would have noticeable turbo issues, but if it was part off it might be leaking oil and not be effecting the turbo pressure. But it would normal be forced off. Happy Christmas.
Tjensen   
Mon Dec 25 2017, 04:03pm
Thanks for a good theory, will check the pipes in the area after taking off the air filter box. And a happy Christmas to you.
Tjensen   
Thu Dec 28 2017, 07:56pm
Too dark and cold for me to work on the engine. The garage have had it for two days and the diagnose is oil leakage from under the oil filter. Parts must come from France so I will not get the car back until next year ! The part that has the leakage is probably the gasket of the 1103 S9 oil-water heat exchanger. Any opinions or experiences ?
Cisco   
Fri Dec 29 2017, 10:56am
Member No: #1429
Hi Tjensen,

This old thread will be relevant..

- Click Here -

Only sources of oil leakage in this area are:

1. Plastic oil filter housing/O-ring leaking.
2. Oil/water/diesel heat exchanger housing leaking to atmosphere.
3. Heatexchanger to block metal gasket failed.

Any of the above will result in the engine V eventually filling with oil before developing a visible leak from under the car.

Good luck with it and seasons greetings.

Frank
Tjensen   
Tue Jan 23 2018, 06:58pm
Thanks again for advice. Will get the car back tomorrow. Chose to replace the thermostat housing as well. The leaking oil is coming from the heat exchanger itself, half-way up on the body there is a joint where oil leaks out (detected by use of camera at the garage). Why is this part failing ? Do I have a more general overheating problem ? (after two times aux-belt skipping)

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club