C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Vacuum tubing/piping for variable Turbo Vanes

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
awright1707   
Thu Dec 21 2017, 09:03pm
Member No: #2226
Hi, I need some help, Whilst travelling along the M1 in my 2.7 HDI the thermostat housing disintergrated spraying hot water and steam all over the top of the engine this fractured the brittle plastic pipes that I believe are the Turbo Vacuum piping for controlling the variable vanes, anyway I have bought some Silicone Rubber Vacuum tubing to replace the lot, But....

I need a diagram of where each pipe is connected to, as during the steam and water rush part of the old piping was lost There is what looks like a solenoid valve on the cover of the timing belt housing that they all connect to but I need a diagram so I can connect the new pipes correctly, can anyone point me in the right direction of where I can download some help.
I've looked at the download of the Turbo Air Pipe Parts but the info I need isn't on that document.
Best regards
vaho   
Fri Dec 22 2017, 08:06am
Member No: #2228
They are not related to turbo, the turbo vanes are regulated with electric regulators. The tubes are connected to the SWIRL valves and one tube is ventilation. Basically I know that the solenoid has three pipes connected to it. One comes from vacuum pump, one goes out to the SWIRL valves and one is ventilation. Unfortunately I do not know which is which. I suggest you look for the threads related to SWIRL and thermostat housing.

There are pictures in these threads from these locations so maybe you can identify the pipes. Good thing is that you can drive the car while the pipes are detached, the SWIRL valves may be unoperational anyway. Just put a blind to the pipe coming from vacuum pump.
Found one picture, maybe helps a bit:

In addition, maybe it is not a good idea to replace the tubes with rubber pipe. Rubber tends to get soft when heated up and since there is vacuum it may collapse. It is the cheapest and easiest way to try though.

Originally the tubes are sold as a bulk with the solenoid I think and they cost some 200 euros.
C6Dave   
Fri Dec 22 2017, 11:24am

Member No: #1
vaho wrote ...
In addition, maybe it is not a good idea to replace the tubes with rubber pipe. Rubber tends to get soft when heated up and since there is vacuum it may collapse.

Some hose will be too soft as vahoo says.

Google 'vacuum tubing' to get a list of suppliers for dedicated vacuum tubing.

BTW the thermostat housing (Engine Water Outlet Tank part 1336-Y3) is a known problem on the 2.7HDi - there is a thread - Click Here - started by gmerry trying to get an idea on how long they are lasting so we can plan some preventative maintenance by changing them before they let go.
Website
vaho   
Fri Dec 22 2017, 11:35am
Looked it a bit up and this is what I concluded:

This is all done by comparing different pictures so I can be mistaking. I am sure about the ventilation tube connection, the other two not 100%.

It can be checked easily though with vacuum gauge. After you connected all the tubes to the solenoid disconnect the outbound tube from the T-piece in the other end. Connect the gauge and start the engine. There should be no vacuum during idle. Apply light throttle - vacuum should be present. Or just use your finger and somebody to throttle the engine, you should feel it.

Here is the picture from citroen service:

vaho   
Fri Dec 22 2017, 12:03pm
Some more graphics:

gmerry   
Fri Dec 22 2017, 02:46pm
Member No: #21
Hi, to replace the plastic vacuum pipe, I used some CuNi brake tubing I just happened to have: much better material than the original plastic

regards
C6Dave   
Thu Jan 18 2018, 10:35am

Member No: #1

When I had the cam belt changed last week the garage found that the pipes had indeed gone brittle so repaired them. Don't know what they used though I did mention your CuNi pipe tip G.
Website
ul9601   
Thu Jan 18 2018, 05:04pm
Member No: #1975
Why not run a vacuum hose all the way without intermediate pipe in between? There are vacuum hoses (albeit short) everywhere there.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club