Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Handbrake cable

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Jas16   
Sun Dec 03 2017, 02:52am
Member No: #2994
Dear All,

The passenger side of my handbrake cable broke when I went to engage it at a local car park.

Now I went to Citroen and they wanted approx £1000 [inc VAT] just as parts for the electronic motor and two cables? This seems a bit steep to me to say the least. I am very sure the electronic module is absolutely fine, but I was still quoted close to £400 [inc VAT] just for the two cables?

This just doesn't seem right. Thanks to this forum I have found and downloaded the manual for changing the cables and have Lexia, but I am not confident on doing the job myself so I will still give it to a garage as the most likely scenario.

Question: Are these cables really this expensive?

Has anyone else's cable snapped before? To be honest the rear of my car doesn't look great but in all my years I have never come across snapped handbrake cable before.

Appreciate any help as always

Thanks in advance.
C6Dave   
Sun Dec 03 2017, 12:03pm

Member No: #1
The cables come as a 'pair' (part: 4745 Z1) I'm afraid and should cost £314.20 new, retail from your local OR Peugeot dealer. There is another thread on the issue - Click Here -

Website
Tjensen   
Sun Dec 03 2017, 12:10pm
Member No: #954
I was told from a Citroen dealer that part prices are made up form calculations on probable sale: less sale, higher price. But: check ebay. I have bought cheap originals parts from Poland
C6Dave   
Sun Dec 03 2017, 02:03pm

Member No: #1
Tjensen wrote ...

I was told from a Citroen dealer that part prices are made up form calculations on probable sale: less sale, higher price. But: check ebay. I have bought cheap originals parts from Poland

Main problem is that the part is exclusive to the C6 (after checking both Citroen and Peugeot parts online) however there is a German supplier with a lower price - Click Here - It is also worth trying a phone call to Eurocarcare to see if they can get one at a discount.
Website
Jas16   
Mon Dec 04 2017, 01:03am
Thank you Dave, I will look into the links you posted.
klu   
Wed Dec 06 2017, 11:09pm
Member No: #2779
I ordered both cables (refurbished) for a small fraction of the price you have to pay at the Citroen dealer. They fit and work perfectly and the seller gave me a 3-year warranty.
Try to contact him, maybe he doesn't mind sending them outside of Poland - the e-mail address and phone number are in the footer of this website:

linki-samochodowe.com

e3steve   
Wed Dec 13 2017, 08:57pm
Member No: #1163
Perhaps irrelevant to this thread, but salient within the topic: C6Steve has just reported (to the new owner) the 'usual' ESP/ASR Faulty > ABS Faulty, then, half a minute's driving later "Handbrake Cable Fault"(?). Anybody experienced this report? Certainly a new one on me! I've had "Handbrake Faulty" before now (usually an ABS wheel sensor, all of which I've now replaced with Delphi items on her)...

Any advice welcomed!
321dave   
Thu Dec 14 2017, 02:57pm
Member No: #614
e3steve wrote ...

Perhaps irrelevant to this thread, but salient within the topic: C6Steve has just reported (to the new owner) the 'usual' ESP/ASR Faulty > ABS Faulty, then, half a minute's driving later "Handbrake Cable Fault"(?). Anybody experienced this report? Certainly a new one on me! I've had "Handbrake Faulty" before now (usually an ABS wheel sensor, all of which I've now replaced with Delphi items on her)...

Any advice welcomed!

Hi Steve, that's what I used to get until I replaced the rear ABS sensors and all was lovely for a while. But now strangely my sat nav signal has gone but I've no other warning at all. When I checked the car with Diagbox it reports my two rear ABS sensor are intermittently not good. They did not last long, both Bosch sensors and I believe that they effect the Sat Nav? But no other warning? Strange. Does C6Steve have a functionig sat nav signal? I'm thinking the route of the replaced abs sensor cables was not so good and maybe pinched somewhere.
joopajaa   
Tue Jan 09 2018, 06:44pm
Member No: #3261
Anyone happen to have a picture of the cable guides installed correctly? Mine are broken and no way telling the correct position. They are the part no. 07 on the diagram.
Dan595   
Thu Nov 15 2018, 05:06pm
Member No: #299
klu wrote ...

I ordered both cables (refurbished) for a small fraction of the price you have to pay at the Citroen dealer. They fit and work perfectly and the seller gave me a 3-year warranty.
Try to contact him, maybe he doesn't mind sending them outside of Poland - the e-mail address and phone number are in the footer of this website:

linki-samochodowe.com

Thanks for this tip - how are you getting on with your cables? I'm about to send this guy some zlotys as I can't face paying my dealer £650 to replace a pair of handbrake cables (he says post to UK is fine).

Many thanks
Jas16   
Thu Nov 15 2018, 08:50pm
yes I am also interested in how this pans out
e3steve   
Sat Nov 17 2018, 08:42am
321dave wrote ...

e3steve wrote ...

Any advice welcomed!

Hi Steve, that's what I used to get until I replaced the rear ABS sensors and all was lovely for a while. But now strangely my sat nav signal has gone but I've no other warning at all. When I checked the car with Diagbox it reports my two rear ABS sensor are intermittently not good. They did not last long, both Bosch sensors and I believe that they effect the Sat Nav? But no other warning? Strange. Does C6Steve have a functionig sat nav signal? I'm thinking the route of the replaced abs sensor cables was not so good and maybe pinched somewhere.

My apologies, Dave; I didn’t see this post of yours!
321dave   
Sat Nov 17 2018, 07:30pm
e3steve wrote ...

321dave wrote ...

e3steve wrote ...

Any advice welcomed!

My apologies, Dave; I didn’t see this post of yours!

Hi Steve, no problem, I always check in every day or so to see how things are going in the forum. Great discussions taking place! I think that maybe my sat nav aerial may be broken somewhere if possible as I don't have any handbrake warnings or abs warning that come with the abs sensor problems, or the intermittent warning has become permanent now.

I will I think do the rear sensors again, and I'll be more careful not to have the cables inset tightly in place along the cable route/channel. I believe you once said that If the abs cable get stretched or pinched, the signal can be disturbed. Something to do with impedance if I remember correctly. Sorry if i got that bit backwards.

Thanks Steve.
e3steve   
Mon Nov 19 2018, 06:59pm
The GPS connects to the stereo head unit, so check to see if the connectors are seated and that the cables aren't damaged, Dave.
321dave   
Tue Nov 20 2018, 09:36am
e3steve wrote ...

The GPS connects to the stereo head unit, so check to see if the connectors are seated and that the cables aren't damages, Dave.

Thanks for that Steve, might have a go again at installing the newer head unit I received a few months back, I have a complete RT5 system to go in place of the older RT3 so not a bad time to try again at installing the newer unit and see if the aerial issue can also be resolved.

They charge an eye-watering €300 for the plastic surround for the screen! I bought a second-hand unit in case I broke the one on at the moment. It really is stuck on good and hard and I'm afraid only brute force at this stage (not really much good in a car interior) is going to get it removed for the installation. pity.
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club