To do list

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
p6rob   
Tue Nov 21 2017, 02:44pm
Member No: #3275
Hi Guys and Gals,

It's been about 6 weeks since buying the C6 and the rebuilt autobox has been fantastic. However, there are now a few more jobs to do, mostly related to front suspension.
When the gearbox was done, the garage advised the lower ball joints were well past their best and recently the car has felt very loose up front. I've also done a bit of research about the wallowy ride. It does improve briefly, especially if I change to sport suspension mode but I found the right hand strut has a leak, so I've bit the bullet and ordered a pair of front struts, a set of bushes and top and bottom ball joints. Hopefully following the helpful guides you guys have written, this won't be too difficult a job to sort out.

The other niggles are to do with headlights.
The right hand head light doesn't go to main beam, there's a fault registered in diag box, something like "no signal from the levelling motor" if I remember correctly. I'll need to check the error properly but is this a common problem? is there a fix?

On a couple of occasions the left hand headlight has flickered a bit and gone out. The first time it happened I bought a pair of bulbs but as the lamp worked next time I used the car, haven't fitted them yet. It was too cold and damp to bother removing bumpers etc and as it'll need space in a garage to do the suspension, thought it might as well wait.

The lane departure warning system only seems to warn when wandering left. There's no error reported, so I assume it's just dirty sensors. I had a quick look underneath but couldn't see anything to clean.

Thanks for any advice.

Rob
p6rob   
Tue Dec 05 2017, 03:47pm
Member No: #3275
I'm pleased to say that, at least for the time being, the to do list is now fairly short. Although, it has taken quite a bit of time and money to sort the suspension.
The biggest problem was the nearside hub carrier, it had previously been damaged and a bodged repair made. The bottom pin that fits in the 'ducks foot' bearing had been welded and was well and truly out of round. It reminded me of an old allegro steering wheel!

Having spent all that money on bushes and struts, it seemed foolish not to replace the hub carrier with a new one. There was a place advertising on eBay that did them. The only issue was because of design changes, it also required a new, later, track rod too. Considering it includes a new bottom 'ball joint', wheel bearing and hub, the price was pretty reasonable, although, I couldn't rescue the old abs sensor, so ended up replacing that too.
While waiting for the bits to arrive, I repaired the broken tangs on the number plate surround and now, when shutting the boot, there's a decent thud, rather than the cheap rattly sound the car has had since I bought it.

Another job that I started to do was trying to fix the headlights. Once the bumper was off, the nearside was pretty straightforward, however, the same can't be said of the drivers side. There's evidence the same bodger has been at work here. To begin with, I've been unable to remove the electrical conenctor, it's been broken and the remains have been super glued back onto the light unit.

Undaunted, I undid the bolts so the light could be turned upside down and the rear cover removed. Looking inside, it was pretty easy to see why the light doesn't do main beam, the motor wire connectors look to have overheated at some point and have been bypassed with wires soldered directly to the board, one of these wires has become detached. Rather than deal with this mess, I've bought a second hand light, a replacement connector and some tools to remove the wires and hopefully swap tem ontot the new plug. Again all from ebay.

The light unit was pretty expensive, or so I thought. Still waiting for that to arrive, so, until then, I've put the rest back together, so I can at least drive the car and free up my friends ramp. (While it was up in the air, I did notice one of the flexible pipes by the rear comfort spheres will need replacing very soon.

I followed the tutorials on here for pretty much all the work, so, thank you for taking the time to produce them. It has made fixing this car reasonably straightforward.

Rob
C6Dave   
Tue Dec 05 2017, 06:40pm

Member No: #1
I posted a link to a C6 being broken on Leboncoin but there is also a lot of individual parts available like light units, ballasts etc. if you look at - Click Here -

You need to trawl through a lot of dross, but there are a few 'gems' you won't find on eBay
Website

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club