C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Electric Conversion?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Ghostrider   
Mon Nov 27 2017, 09:59am
Member No: #3219
I've just finished watching an episode of "Wheeler Dealers" where they converted a Maserati Bi Turbo to electric power (not as sacreligous as it sounds as the engine had already been removed before they bought it), which got me thinking about my 2.7HDI, the performance is far from sparkling considering the huge pollution it causes and the dire fuel consumption (34.8 over the first 3000 miles of my ownership, which is probably closer to 32 having checked the actual consumption against the computer which consistently over reads by about 2mpg), It is supremely comfortable but the performance is a huge disappointment after my CX GTi T2, which had similar fuel consumption. So I was wondering about a conversion to electric power as a possibility to give me a comfortable and very quick car, although with limited range.
Ciaran   
Mon Nov 27 2017, 12:16pm
Member No: #3087
Besides the obvious mechanical questions, the other main problem with electric, will be storage space for the copious amounts of batteries it requires. Expect to loose your boot space to make that aspect of it possible.

Interesting concept though.

Ciaran   
Mon Nov 27 2017, 12:24pm
I just remembered, there's a video of an XM from a few years ago, which someone converted to electric:

Ghostrider   
Mon Nov 27 2017, 04:19pm
Member No: #3219
Thanks for that Ciaran, XM looked interesting, I think that the car was using lead acid batteries judging by the looks of the batteries in the front of the car, a bit like the WD programme, I am thinking of LiIon and a brushless AC motor with suitable inverters as the modern equivalent.
I think the cost will probably be the killer! (along with losing the boot)
Peter
ul9601   
Mon Nov 27 2017, 05:38pm
Member No: #1975
A while ago I read an article about an electric GS, which had the typical setup of advanced DC motor and 144V. Unfortunately it had a rather pathetic range 40 miles, even by the standard of those days. Something has to run the hydraulic pump so one of the advantages of EV not having to use energy while sitting still in traffic is somewhat negated.
By the way, I don't know whether it's C6 thing or just mine, it takes absolutely ages to raise the suspension compared to GSA.
Ciaran   
Mon Nov 27 2017, 06:09pm
Yeah I think anything with an electric pump takes quite a long time to change height when compared to the engine driven pump, mines certainly no exception, takes 2-3 times as long as the XMs, easily.
Progress!

e3steve   
Tue Nov 28 2017, 08:53am
Member No: #1163
ul9601 wrote ...
By the way, I don't know whether it's C6 thing or just mine, it takes absolutely ages to raise the suspension compared to GSA.
I remember thinking that there was something wrong with my CX, BITD, because it seemed to take an inordinate length of time to rise, when compared to my GSX2; but no, they’re just different, as are Hydractives different again. My C5 was different in comparison to my C6s, too.

Both C6s level-up within around ten seconds, when the car is unlocked, depending upon how long they’ve been left locked, but both ‘settle’ by about 10-20mm immediately upon switching off the engine.

I’d imagine 2.2s differ also.
Ciaran   
Tue Nov 28 2017, 12:29pm
I think that lowering on unlock / engine turn off is deliberate, it's to make it easier to enter / exit the car. Its possible you can configure it with the Lexia.
ul9601   
Tue Nov 28 2017, 06:03pm
Member No: #1975
e3steve wrote ...

ul9601 wrote ...
I remember thinking that there was something wrong with my CX, BITD, because it seemed to take an inordinate length of time to rise, when compared to my GSX2; but no, they’re just different, as are Hydractives different again. My C5 was different in comparison to my C6s, too.

Both C6s level-up within around ten seconds, when the car is unlocked, depending upon how long they’ve been left locked, but both ‘settle’ by about 10-20mm immediately upon switching off the engine.

I’d imagine 2.2s differ also.

I was talking about raising the suspension actually (i.e. from normal to very high, for example) as opposed to the car levelling itself when door is unlocked and opened.
I raise the car to the max when I park with its nose in, as it tends to scrape the kerb, and it takes AGES... With my old C5 (which, by the way didn't take as long to raise the suspension level, compared to C6), I ripped out the undertray a couple of times.
e3steve   
Tue Nov 28 2017, 11:00pm
Member No: #1163
Ahhh, gotcha. Yes, about 30secs, I’d say. It seems to report ‘max height’ before it actually completes the action...
Norman   
Wed Nov 29 2017, 12:00am
Member No: #364
I put my 2.2 into medium height when I pull up outside the house by the time I have selected reverse and backed up the first part of the drive the car is up to height and it doesn't catch on the floor as the front would do if I forget to raise it so it's pretty quick.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club