Absent glow plug light on startup

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Jas16   
Fri Jun 09 2017, 09:42pm
Member No: #2994
My car is the 2007, 2.2hdi manual.

When I first brought the car, on startup the glow plug light would always illuminate even for a couple of seconds.

Now when exactly it stopped I can't remember but there was a time when cold starts became difficult especially if the car hadn't been started for a few days. Recently I noticed difficulty starting, even in this fair weather. But also that the glow plug light would not come on at all.

From the records of the previous owner it looks at though the glow plugs were replaced a few years ago [2014]. Buy I wanted to try the easier options first. Checked coolant temp levels and have been consistent, hence don't believe it is the coolant sensor [yet]. Also replaced the glow plug relay, no luck.

Then I managed to get my Lexia/Diagbox working, somehow, and after clearing all faults [recently had battery replaced], did a rescan and the only fault coming back is P0341, camshaft sensor. Now I don't get any engine lights on the dash. Nor are there any other codes thrown up.

This isn't the most expensive sensor so don't mind changing it. However, wanted to ask if anyone has changed it before? Doesn't look that difficult but haven't done this work before.

Also I wanted to ask if there is anything else I could look out for, or complete this work and do another scan and see if any other code comes up?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.
gmerry   
Sat Jun 10 2017, 07:16am
Member No: #21
Hi Jas16, for the 2.7HDi there is a technical document in the downloads which explains operation of the pre-post heating aka the glow plugs. There may be a specific technical document for the 2.2. The logic uses an ambient (engine) temperature input to decide if the pre-heating dashboard indication will be illuminated at all: this time of the year, I would never see this lit (again on the 2.7 so check details for 2.2).

regards
cruiserphil   
Sat Jun 10 2017, 08:58am

Member No: #38
Jas16,

On the crankshaft sensor front is it a temporary or permanent fault?

Bestvregards,

Phil C.
Norman   
Sat Jun 10 2017, 10:43am
Member No: #364
My glow plug light only comes on when it's very cold, as a rule i hardly ever see it
Jas16   
Sat Jun 10 2017, 11:26am
Hi Phil

The camshaft sensor is a permanent fault. I have ordered a new one so will fit it over the following week.

I will then do another scan and make sure that there are no other fault codes.

After a bit of digging and checking over the car, my only other thoughts are battery related since it looks like I am still running on the original from Citroen 2008!
Dan595   
Sat Jun 10 2017, 12:19pm
Member No: #299
I have a 2.2 manual. I would never expect to see the glowplug lamp in the summer. Only on cold winter mornings.

If the battery is original, probably worth changing it. Mind you, mine is original too (2006) as are the glow plugs.
Jas16   
Sat Nov 18 2017, 11:54am
hello, sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I had changed the glow plug sensor and replaced the battery for the 'correct' type. Even on these cold mornings, the glow plug light doesn't come on. Whilst I would like to look to changing the glow plugs myself, I need to research on how to complete this work.

However, I have no starting problems at all just something that is in the back of my mind.

Albeit I need to service the car that is a separate matter.

Thanks in advance for all your help.
C6Dave   
Sat Nov 18 2017, 02:42pm

Member No: #1
Bottow of this post - Click Here - is the table showing when the Glow Plugs may light up (but sometimes it won't), you will see that it's related to 'coolant' temperature, not air temperature outside.
Website
Jas16   
Sun Nov 19 2017, 10:17pm
Dave, thank you for your advice. Many it was a Citroen thing, but strangely I noticed the glow light come on this afternoon.

I do find the little things around electrical energy conservation great about this car.

I suppose I am used to other diesels with the light coming on no matter what.

Just out of curiosity I will plug in the Lexia for my own sanity.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club