Power Steering - Intermittent Fault

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Leod   
Fri Oct 20 2017, 01:49pm
Member No: #3302
Hi all,

Thanks for the input. The car is at the garage still and I've passed on your posts.

I don't have access to the VIN as the garage is over 60 miles away. I'll ask them to send it to me.
Leod   
Fri Oct 20 2017, 01:59pm
Member No: #3302
Hi

Just to update you. The ABS ECU is not communicating with the rest of the controllers in the car. So, the garage's recommendation is that the unit is sent to ECU Testing in the UK for diagnosis and fixing if required. Will keep you posted.
c6kev   
Fri Oct 20 2017, 05:18pm
Member No: #1508
Leod

Sorry for not picking up on this one earlier. I recognise the solution, but had forgotten that the power steering was one of the symptoms of ABS ECU failure. See - Click Here - for my own experiences.

Whilst ECU repair may be feasible and affordable, I was able to locate a second hand part on the internet very quickly. I paid £250 for a complete ECU and valve block and fitting took less than an hour (including brake bleeding). As always, there are a lot of very similar part numbers - I took the safe option and paid a little extra for an identical part from a car of the same age as mine (identical VIN +/-20).

I'm sure you are on the route to an easy and affordable return to reliability.

Good luck,

Kevin
Grumpytvr   
Tue Nov 21 2017, 09:05pm
Member No: #742
Hi Leod

Did changing the ABS pump fix your problem? I also have a 2.2 manual C6 Lignage and it's started doing something similar. It normally starts with ASR/ESP failure (often when going round a corner) followed by persistant power steering failure faults on the display but the power steering is fine. Sometimes also the handbrake fails and doesn't operate, occasionally there is also a suspension failure and brake system failure fault but again they work fine..

I plugged in Lexia and it displayed lots of codes saying failure of communication on CAN systems. Will be interesting to find out whether repairing / replacing the ABS pump worked. Ive already changed the battery to no avail and the brake pedal switch was replaced about a year or so back.

On a separate note does your 2.2 manual suffer from turbo lag when it's warm?

Must admit I've got to the point where I'm thinking of getting rid of my C6 I've had it 6 years and really like it, I simply don't have the time to devote to fixing it when it goes wrong!

Cheers

Grumpytvr

arconell3   
Sun Nov 26 2017, 01:38pm
Member No: #922
Hi Leod,
As for the power steering issue, on your car that is a completely separate system, with its own LDS reservoir. (i.e. different from the power steering on the V6 models). The type of integrated pump/reservoir used is somewhat prone to internal leakage, causing the LDS to foul up the build-in ECU of the pump.

When that happens, it starts with intermittent faults, ending up with complete failure... Remedy: new pump unit. (similar pumps with the same weakness are indeed mounted on other Citroen models)

Sorry for the bad news..

Robert

Ps: This is completely different from an ABS fault, i.e. a power steering failure message in this case does indeed mean no power steering.
Website
Grumpytvr   
Tue Mar 13 2018, 09:19pm
Member No: #742
I thought I'd resurrect this thread as I'm still having problems with my 2.2 C6 manual.

To summarise the car starts fine and drives fine, after about 5 minutes and ESP/ASR failure is displayed on the screen along with an orange triangle in the instrument binnacle. Shortly after a power steering fault is displayed and it says I should stop the car. The power steering feels fine. If you continue to drive, after a while the handbrake also fails.

To date I have replaced the battery and replaced the ABS unit with a virginised recon unit from BBA reman (who have always provided me with good parts in the past). However I still have the problem as above, even after changing the ABS pump the faults occurred exactly the same as before.

I've plugged Lexia in, run a diagnostic and interogated all ECUs showing faults. Cross referencing the fault codes listed on this website, I have the following:

Injection (EDC16CP39)
Fault codes - DW12BTED4 engine (BOSCH EDC16CP39) FAP (Summary)
P1351 Pre-heating relay circuit : Relay controlled and plugs never supplied
U0122 CAN communication : Absence of communication with the ESP ECU
U0304 CAN communication : Auto gearbox error message

ABS System (ESP_VSC440)
Fault codes - Computer ESP trw EBC440 ELECTRONIC STABILITY PROGRAM (Summary)
U1309 Communication with automatic gearbox ECU fault : Coherence
U1109 Communication with automatic gearbox ECU fault : Automatic gearbox ECU absent
C1510 CAN Bus fault and detection of open circuit
U1325 Communication with gyrometer-accelerometer sensor fault : Coherence
U2000 Triggering mode fault : Incorrect reception of the main triggering message

Suspension (SUSPENSION_ECOTECH) (As listed in Lexia – can’t find corresponding fault codes in list)
P05E0 Permanent Fault no communication with the steering wheel angle sensor incorrect value received.
P05D2 Temporary Fault no communication with the steering wheel angle sensor no signal
P05E0 Remote Fault, Permanent Fault, No communication with the ABS ECU no signal

Power Steering (GEP)
Fault codes - Power steering electropump assembly ECU (Summary)
U1003 Communication fault on the CAN network
U1108 Fault engine status information : No signal
U1113 Vehicle speed data fault : No signal
U1000 Fault: electropump ECU mute

Headlights (PROJECTEURS)
Remote Fault, temporary fault Dialogue with the ESP or ABS ECU no communication. (No Fault Code)

Deflation Detection (DSG)
Fault codes - Deflation detection ECU (Summary)
U1003 Communication fault on the CAN network
U1000 Communication fault on the CAN network
U1105 Absence of communication on the CAN with the steering wheel angle sensor

Handbrake (FSE)
Fault codes - Electric parking brake ECU (Summary)
U1313 Fault in the reception of the partial triggering message by the built-in systems interface (BSI)
U1113 Fault - absence of communication with the stability control (ESP) ECU : No signal
U1213 Fault - absence of communication with the stability control (ESP) ECU : Value received incorrect

Obviously some of the codes are a bit spurious (the car is a manual and there is reference to communication with the auto box, likewise the preheat fault has been happening ever since I bought the car). However I'm not quite sure what to do next as I'm not certain exactly which ECU speaks to which or whether all CAN is sent via the BSI unit.

Could it be that I've bought a duff ABS unit? (although for it to fire up fault codes in exactly the same way as before seems somewhat unusual), or perhaps the power steering pump is on its way out, or a wiring fault, or something wrong with the BSI unit?

Your thoughts appreciated, it's driving me up the wall!!! I wish it was easier to fix!!
arconell3   
Fri Mar 16 2018, 08:28pm
Member No: #922
Hi Grumpy,
For starters, try to get your C6 on Diagbox, that will give you a lot more info. Most likely, you'll find most of the faults being intermittent faults. Usually, whenever you do work on the car and pull off a connector, no matter where, the ECU will register a fault, even with the engine switched off.
Delete all faults, drive the car for a short while and check again. Whatever remains needs to be taken care of.

Ps: I have yet to find a Cit workshop where, after work on the car, faults are cleared! Some of them may have been registered a century ago!

Robert
Website
viorelovidiu   
Fri Jul 26 2019, 08:20am
Member No: #2684
Hello,
I have the same problem with my C6 3.0HDI for over an year without luck finding the cause. When humidity level is high or after a heavy rain there are 50/50 chanches that the car will throw dozen of errors all at the same time like: gearbox failure, esp/abs failer, servo failure, suspension failure, brake and electrical parking failure, etc. Instrument panel will show no gearbox position and/or speed info (showing --- instead of actual speed). I have already replaced BSI, BSM and BSC modules with new parts but no luck. Errors are temporary and after restarting engine several times it will work just fine. Errors stored in all modules affected are referring to missing information about vehicle speed (missing comunication with ESP/ABS unit). Once I managed to put Diagbox at the moment when all errors came out and ESP/ABS module was not accesible (offline). After restarting engine, ESP/ABS module was just fine.
You can see errors on flick webpage here
C6Dave   
Fri Jul 26 2019, 09:02am

Member No: #1
Given the main codes and 'dampness' triggering them:

U1003

Engine ECU : Internal failures or network communication
Automatic transmission control unit

U2000

Network communication fault  
Engine ECU  
Electrical harness  
BSI

It would seem to be a connector somewhere, but where is the problem. I would get a can of 'Ferrosol' (not WD40) and start working around the car from the engine bay and checking and spraying all the connectors.

BTW is the engine undertray fitted?

It has been known that a missing one has let water up into the engine bay causing multiple warnings as you describe.
Website
onthecut   
Sun Aug 04 2019, 03:40pm
Member No: #2793
Gong off at a very slight tangent, just been having fun on C5 3.0 with heavy steering. Faulkt reading on that turned out to be short circuit relating to the rack valve modulator. In the event, the problem turned out to be a chafed cable in the harness running to the modulator valve. On the C6, it seems that anything iffy with the ABS throws up a bucketful of faults; ESP. earbox. Handbrake.

MIke.
joopajaa   
Fri Sep 27 2019, 02:46pm
Member No: #3261
Hi please advice ASAP: where I can check V6 steering valves and other electronics with Lexia? Cannot find them and have massive problem with heavy steering (changed already the rack and pump).
joopajaa   
Fri Oct 04 2019, 05:45am
Member No: #3261
Anyone?
321dave   
Fri Oct 04 2019, 10:42am
Member No: #614
joopajaa wrote ...

Anyone?

Hi Joopjaa,
maybe others can advise here better than me as I not sure about the steering and it's relation through Diagbox or lexia! Im just thinking it must be the pump though or a leak? As when it's turned of it will lose the pressure to the steering rack. If you removed the pump and replaced it or serviced it, did the belt go back on correctly or is it slipping more likely?
viorelovidiu   
Wed Aug 31 2022, 06:41am
Member No: #2684
viorelovidiu wrote ...

Hello,
I have the same problem with my C6 3.0HDI for over an year without luck finding the cause. When humidity level is high or after a heavy rain there are 50/50 chanches that the car will throw dozen of errors all at the same time like: gearbox failure, esp/abs failer, servo failure, suspension failure, brake and electrical parking failure, etc. Instrument panel will show no gearbox position and/or speed info (showing --- instead of actual speed). I have already replaced BSI, BSM and BSC modules with new parts but no luck. Errors are temporary and after restarting engine several times it will work just fine. Errors stored in all modules affected are referring to missing information about vehicle speed (missing comunication with ESP/ABS unit). Once I managed to put Diagbox at the moment when all errors came out and ESP/ABS module was not accesible (offline). After restarting engine, ESP/ABS module was just fine.
You can see errors on flick webpage here

Hi, I have fixed the problem in 2019 by replacing ESP ECU module which sits on top of ABS Pump!
Go to page   <<       

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club