Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Introduce yourself

Me again with another C6 and the usual niggles.... But now gone.

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Swalleau   
Sat Oct 07 2017, 08:27pm
Member No: #3097
Strangely enough mine did the same thing to me near Bergerac a few weeks ago.

After a 'brisk' trip of about 40 minutes things were fine. Started up after wine or chocolate (!) and bleeping and whinging. Sounded fine so I guessed that it was the original EGR grumbling. Car was fine and fairly flew to the next venue.

Once back at our accomodation I fired up Mr Diagbox and lo, permanent fault on front EGR. Cleared it and next morning the only moaning from the warning light disco was the rear O/S ABS sensor that decided to go pop two days before setting off.

Another 40 minute run, although some burping on the overrun for the first few minutes after starting, and all was tickets boo. After lunch and another tepid/warm start on a warm day was enough for the 'pooter to decide it should do emission control.

Ignored the problem and have done about 700 miles. Car is off to see its Uncle Robert for a new EGR valve and a new ABS sensor in a few days.
C6Dave   
Tue Oct 10 2017, 05:53pm

Member No: #1
Drive home was uneventful, even with the EML lit and fully loaded the car drove like a dream all the way to home yesterday.

I installed Diagbox on my laptop today and checked the car, cleared the faults (quite a few showed but I put that down to driving the car with the EML on) did a short 2 mile run to the car wash to get rid of all the French bugs on the front end, stopped the engine ok but on restart, back came the engine management light.

This time it's only saying P1351 (Front) EGR and P0404 pre/post heat relay.

Hey Ho C6 funtime.

Going to try some EGR cleaner 1st as it's the cheaper option as it may be down to a couple of tanks of cheap French Supermarket 'gasoil' (I know, I know I should know better)
Website
Trainman   
Tue Oct 10 2017, 07:58pm

Member No: #86
Dave-Retired wrote ...

Going to try some EGR cleaner 1st as it's the cheaper option as it may be down to a couple of tanks of cheap French Supermarket 'gasoil' (I know, I know I should know better)

e3steve   
Wed Oct 11 2017, 06:41am
Member No: #1163
I learned, the easy way, that the HDi — V6, leastways — really does not like regular derv...
C6Dave   
Wed Oct 11 2017, 02:19pm

Today went to see James at 'Tints N Tweeks' (he's ex Citroen Tech) and he did a Hydrogen Engine Clean on the C6. Machine runs for 1 hour softening and removing internal carbon (bit like Terraclean claims to do) and......

The EML: is out and there are no EGR or other engine errors.

Cost £75 (special offer) which so far is far cheaper than an EGR valve change. The car feels more responsive as well so it will be interesting to see what happens going forward (but no more supermarket diesel....)
Website
Tjensen   
Wed Oct 11 2017, 09:55pm
Member No: #954
Never seen engine warning light due to EGR problems, but garage told me there have been error messages each 1500 km or so last year. Changed from the good Shell VP diesel to the (even better) Shell ReX biodiesel and then garage report no new EGR messages for 5000km. They also say that messages might come in winter, but without any serious cause that wont' be gone in the spring.
C6Dave   
Fri Oct 13 2017, 10:09am

Well the EML came back this morning so it's going to be plan B or C, still deciding on which.
Website
C6Dave   
Tue Oct 24 2017, 10:20am

OK going for Plan B, fit a new EGR valve (genuine Valeo) supplied by Dan at Wolsey House which I will get fitted locally to save the 600 mile round trip to Diss.

Be an interesting exercise to strip the old one down to see what has failed electrically (that's why most fail apparently)
Website
cruiserphil   
Tue Oct 24 2017, 02:11pm

Member No: #38
Best of luck with it Dave,

Best regards,

Phil C.
C6Dave   
Tue Oct 24 2017, 02:55pm

cruiserphil wrote ...

Best of luck with it Dave,

Hopefully it is the EGR.

Simon has had his car checked after intermittent EGR error messages and they found air leaks on the MAF potentially causing erroneous air/fuelling messages to the ECU
Website
C6Dave   
Thu Nov 02 2017, 06:55pm

Front EGR changed today for £168.00 labour charge (Dan supplied the valve) - one that was removed was a 'Sagem' and was full of soot/carbon. As it wasn't a Valeo one I can only assume that it had been changed in the past but looking at the physical condition of the exterior, it was some time ago.

Here's a picture of the 2 ports. Not an unexpected condition really with the valve stuck open allowing the exhaust to pass through. I will though ensure that nothing but Low Saps C2/C3 engine oil and decent quality diesel is used in the car going forward...

Website
C6Dave   
Fri Nov 03 2017, 09:26am

I stripped the old EGR valve today and the 'soot' was just that as the valve had been stuck open, it simply wiped off as can be seen in the image below.

The valve itself was free and opened and closed by hand OK, which points to a problem with the actuator part which is what I was told fails in 90%+ cases of EGR failure.

On the left in the image above is the mechanical part of the EGR, on the right, the electric 'actuator'

Basically it turns the crossbar piece you can see in the left side image 'clockwise' to close the valve or anti clockwise to open it with a simple roller in a slot acting as a 'cam'.

However the 'actuator' does not appear to be 'serviceable' so the only option when one fails is to change the whole EGR as you can't buy the actuator separately.

If it only had a 'return' spring so it defaulted to closed, a lot of problems would be solved......
Website
gmerry   
Fri Nov 03 2017, 11:26am
Member No: #21
Hi Dave, it could be a lot worse.

Pretty sure most PSA Euro6 vehicles have a unit package for EGR Valve and Cooler, equals very expensive.

regards

Note, my car which has never been touched in its entire life other than by me (OK, some early dealer services) had SAGEM EGR valves fitted. So I assume Ford did some value engineering and fitted cheaper valves as original fit.
C6Dave   
Fri Nov 03 2017, 11:46am

gmerry wrote ...

Note, my car which has never been touched in its entire life other than by me (OK, some early dealer services) had SAGEM EGR valves fitted. So I assume Ford did some value engineering and fitted cheaper valves as original fit.

Interesting about the 'Sagem' G, could be that mine is an original to the car after all then.

So Valeo wasn't a 'standard' fitment, unless those engines were originally destined to go in Jags or other brands and for some reason went to Citroen instead.....
Website
vaho   
Fri Nov 03 2017, 12:51pm
Member No: #2228
The valve actually has a return spring, it is in the actuator housing on the contact plate side (grey plastic housing). It is not very strong though so it is possible it can not move the valve to closed position when the mechanical side is stuck do to the soot.
If you move the fork (contact plate side attached) by hand you should feel that it moves against the spring and returns - that is of course in case the actuator itself is not stuck or the spring is not broken.
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club