Long time lurking, first time posting.

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Swalleau   
Fri Oct 06 2017, 09:55pm
Member No: #3097
Hi all,

If I include the horrible company Xsara my eighth Citroën is a C6. The Citroën thing started when my maths teacher gave me a lift in his fabulous blue CX. It had the semi-automatic box and the first generation instruments. Then I saw pictures and reviews a DS and a review of the SM in a Motor road test annual. The seed was sown......

Five years later I needed a car to replace the Daihatsu Gtti that I had slightly scratched. It needed to be good at covering the trip from Bournemouth to Manchester every 7 days. Enter BX number one. 9000 miles later I foolishly sold it for a VW Sirroco. That lasted less than a month before some dopey pill in a Volvo broke it. After about four years the next BX appeared. Older than the first but in stunning condition this one lasted me well over 100,000 miles - on top of the 75,000 it had when I bought it.

Luckily a company car was offered as my mileage went up to 30,000 a year. Unluckily the car was a Xsara. Practical, yes. Fun, exciting and Citroëny - NO.

Around this time the C6 was announced. Pictures of Jaguar XKRs and Citroën C6s where my screen savers from then on. When it was displayed at the National Motor Museum I realised that a C6 was on the list of must have cars. Thoughts of an XM had been flushed from my mind.

Fortunately I got to pay for the next car.... a green Xantia. Then another to replace it. And then a blue Xantia estate to keep the second one company. Strong, comfortable, cheap to run, quick across country and still with Citroën blood in their veins!

I strayed from the fold into an XKR for a few years, although still using the blue Xantia and Ducati as alternatives.

My wife got a C4 Coupe which has been our only Gallic transport for seven years......

Until August this year when the C6 arrived.

Unfortunately I missed out on the nearly perfect car for me in May because I was out of the country. However the goal of having a C6 for a trip to France this September was realised.

Absolutely the last really great Citroën. All the tech, the style, the suspension and the insouciance a big Citroën should have. Certainly, an XF, an A5 or BMW 4 series would have been 'sensible' choices but they would have been sooooooooo mundane. Why have a car that gets lost in the car park amongst all the boring Euro tin when you can have a C6?

I'm incredible grateful for this forum - it is a great resource. Thank you.

I also have say that Robert at BL Autos has been fabulous and I would recommend him to anyone with a C6.

Iain

Hattershaun   
Sat Oct 07 2017, 06:47am
Member No: #320
Welcome Iain,

Like you I've had Citroen for many years, a ride in a CX as a child started it all. Bought a DS as a fun car in the 90's.
B.L.Autos have looked after all my cars for the last 20 years, glad that you found then.
Robert knows the C6 inside out.
I admired your car, I saw it in their workshop.
Iron Grey is one of my favourite C6 colours.
Trainman   
Sat Oct 07 2017, 01:09pm

Member No: #86
Welcome Iain
C6Dave   
Sat Oct 07 2017, 02:16pm

Member No: #1
Swalleau wrote ...

Until August this year when the C6 arrived.

Unfortunately I missed out on the nearly perfect car for me in May because I was out of the country. However the goal of having a C6 for a trip to France this September was realised.

Absolutely the last really great Citroën.

Welcome aboard

Have to agree with you which is why I bought another one...

It is the perfect car on French roads, soaking up the miles with ease in comfort.

Ours is currently loaded up with wine for the rest of the return run under the channel tomorrow and it still wafts along, tail up on the auto routes and soaking up the cobbles in the old parts of town where we are tonight.
Website
MikkelCPH   
Sat Oct 07 2017, 07:24pm
Member No: #2532
I say"welcome home" to the real Citroën; apparently the last one... Ever since I as a 5 year old boy sat in a soft DS, I have been infected. Still today, I am somehow more fond of my DS because it is THE Citroën but the C6 gives so much and is modern, fast and quiet.

When do we meet on the continent
Swalleau   
Sat Oct 07 2017, 08:32pm
Member No: #3097
Oh yes, a DS, an SM and a CX lined up next to a C6 would be most of my perfect garage.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club