C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

DPF removal and EGR (x2) delete update

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Wantathreelitre   
Fri Jul 21 2017, 05:27am
Member No: #3179
For anyone wondering about these modifications i can thoroughly recommend them together with the mild re-map which was done at the same time. I've put 1,500 miles on the car since and the car, whilst not much faster outright, pulls better and the flat spot these cars have is gone. It's certainly better from a standing start with a little less lag for sure. The whole pedal feel has improved and it's the best £400 you could spend. On a careful drive to the isle of Man and back it's just recorded 39.1 mpg which for a 2 tonne car with 2.7 litres is damn good.
gmerry   
Fri Jul 21 2017, 05:50am
Member No: #21
Best for anyone else thinking about this, to remember that in the UK, DPF removal will result in a MOT failure if detected. Not to mention that the car will now be emitting a stream of unabated particulates.

regards
Wantathreelitre   
Sat Jul 22 2017, 05:53pm
Member No: #3179
It will not be detected, it looks standard.
The car runs much more efficiently without 2 EGRs clogging it up and without a DPF restricting it, so there's no smoke at all and it is doing better mpg. It feels less restricted when driving, which adds to the pleasure and 30 BHP more is always useful with a heavy car of course.
Also if the DPF goes wrong it can cost £2,000 or half the value of many C6s!
It's the best £400 i have spent for a long time.
speedfix   
Sat Jul 22 2017, 07:50pm
Member No: #1043
Ian after 2017 DVSA will have more stringent tests.
The fines now can be £1000.00+.
The view I'm all right Jack, and leave a deadly trail of particulates for others following behind to breath is not very responsible.

The roads minister, Andrew Jones, said: “We are fully committed to improving air quality and the new figures are proof that our common-sense changes to the MOT test are helping get hundreds of polluting vehicles off the road. We continue to tackle harmful vehicle emissions and are investigating ways to use the latest technology to further improve detection methods.”

The DfT has commissioned research on how existing or new technology can be used to detect DPF removal by measuring exhaust fumes. One possibility is adapting the use of the equipment that performs the current MOT smoke test to make it more sensitive. The findings may be implemented as part of changes to the Roadworthiness Directive, which sets the framework for MOT testing, and is scheduled to be introduced in the UK in 2017-18.

The cost of re fitting the DPF and remapping not to mention the Repairs to the EGR valves on your car will cost thousands.
ul9601   
Sat Jul 22 2017, 10:22pm
Member No: #1975
No skin off my nose as it's the UK discussion but we have loads of old Japanese import diesel cars and trucks here in NZ and the amount of black smoke they leave in their wake is absolutely disgusting. We have pretty laughable standards when it comes to MOT (called WOF here) and we don't test for emission. It makes me so mad whenever I get caught behind one of those cars, I'm sure you can imagine. Do as you would be done by, I'd say.
speedfix   
Sun Jul 23 2017, 08:28am
Here in the UK the companies who do the mod get a disclaimer signed by the owner that the vehicle has been modified for off-road use only.
I believe that vehicles modified in this way may well be flagged by some means to be delt with at a later date.
Insurance companies have the know how to check mapping etc if not standard.

The VW emission problems are nothing compared to a C6 running with deleted DPF ETC.

The implications of this if the vehicle is sold to an unknowing new owner will be catastrophic.
e3steve   
Sun Jul 23 2017, 08:57pm
Member No: #1163
EGR system deletion or DPF removal isn't something I'd consider with either of mine, but it's certainly interesting to know how different C6s perform, particularly referring to economy.

The 3.0HDi is a totally different Lion engine. It's much cleaner and lacks the distinctive EOLYS smell from the exhaust gasses!

Aside: I mentioned in another thread that my 3's MoT has an advisory - "emissions too clean to register"...
speedfix   
Mon Sep 25 2017, 03:39pm
Going to be many cars scrapped that have had this type of modification carried out due to the cost of fines and to refit and remap systems back to original speck.

- Click Here -
arconell3   
Tue Sep 26 2017, 07:48am
Member No: #922
e3steve wrote ...

EGR system deletion or DPF removal isn't something I'd consider with either of mine, but it's certainly interesting to know how different C6s perform, particularly referring to economy.

The 3.0HDi is a totally different Lion engine. It's much cleaner and lacks the distinctive EOLYS smell from the exhaust gasses!

Aside: I mentioned in another thread that my 3's MoT has an advisory - "emissions too clean to register"...

I am driving both the 2.7 and the 3.0 HDI engines in our 2 C6's, as well as the 2.2 HDI 170 biturbo in the Lancia Phedra. Here our TÜV testing engineer has made exactly the same remarks on the emission of all 3 engines, adding that it always amazes him that the French diesel engines have such extremely low emissions as compared to the German diesels!

All engines are in original condition, i.e. with DPF's and EGR's in place and working. Both the 2.7 and the 2.2 have clocked well over 135.000 miles, the 3.0 about 90.000 miles, without any problems.

Robert
Website

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club