Hello from Birmingham

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
p6rob   
Thu Sep 21 2017, 08:21am
Member No: #3275
Just thought I'd say hello.
I don't own a C6 yet but am actively looking. I had a test drive of one recently but it felt quite wallowy. Is that normal, or a sign of impending expense? I had an XM about 10 years ago and don't remember it being that soft.

Regards

Rob
C6Dave   
Thu Sep 21 2017, 10:38am

Member No: #1
The C6 can feel 'soft' in normal mode and there is a software update that can be applied to firm things up but you can always simply put it in 'sport' mode which firms things up anyway.
Website
e3steve   
Fri Sep 22 2017, 07:55am
Member No: #1163
p6rob wrote ...

Just thought I'd say hello.
I don't own a C6 yet but am actively looking. I had a test drive of one recently but it felt quite wallowy. Is that normal, or a sign of impending expense? I had an XM about 10 years ago and don't remember it being that soft.

Regards

Rob
C6 is 'wallowy' in NORMAL mode but, as Dave states, SPORT mode suppresses that. I drive, using the latter, most of the time; it doesn't affect the comfort one bit with either of mine. They both just cease to undulate (in a straight line).

I can't comment on any model other than those with AMVAR, but cornering isn't any less firm or grippy in either mode; the moment the system senses a bit of enthusiastic -- read "spirited" -- driving, it tenses its muscles and just simply and utterly inhibits body roll...
C6Dave   
Fri Sep 22 2017, 11:50am

e3steve wrote ...

I can't comment on any model other than those with AMVAR, but cornering isn't any less firm or grippy in either mode; the moment the system senses a bit of enthusiastic -- read "spirited" -- driving, it tenses its muscles and just simply and utterly inhibits body roll...

A C6 is much more 'planted' on the road than my 74 DSuper ever was.
Website
p6rob   
Fri Sep 22 2017, 01:34pm
Well, my second offer was accepted and I'd come down to Southampton to collect the car.
Put some fuel in and thought "better check the tyre pressures" before heading back to brum.
The nearside rear valve disintegrated when I took the valve cap off.
The spare is unused but unfortunately there's no jack and no wheel brace.
As luck would have it, I was only 100 yards from what I bought it, so, they gave me a jack and brace and I'm now waiting at the tyre fitters while they replace the valve. I guess it's lucky it happened before I got underway, could have been nasty if it had let go on the motorway.
Curious to see what else happens on the journey home!
And will see what the sort mode feels like
C6Dave   
Fri Sep 22 2017, 02:23pm

p6rob wrote ...

Well, my second offer was accepted and I'd come down to Southampton to collect the car.
Put some fuel in and thought "better check the tyre pressures" before heading back to brum.

Very common problem well documented on site. You should not use metal valve caps.

Only use plastic ones and put a bit of vaseline on them to help them off in future.

If plastic ones do get stuck on, at least you can cut them off with a sharp knife (which I had to do once on a C4)

Don't let the experience put you off the car though
Website
Hattershaun   
Fri Sep 22 2017, 09:37pm
Member No: #320
Welcome and good t hear you now have a C6, even if it did test you you on day one!
Regarding your feeling about the suspension.

The AMVAR variable damping has 16 different settings. Plus two different stiffness settings.
Plus it's auto-adaptive to driving style, road conditions, speed etc.

I've always found that when you first drive the car the suspension is in a default setting, which has fairly soft damping, I.e. The car can feel wallowy, especially around town. After driving for 10 minutes or more I can sense the suspension adjusting to the road conditions, particularly if I'm on a motorway.

e3steve   
Sat Sep 23 2017, 08:51am
Member No: #1163
p6rob wrote ...

The spare is unused but unfortunately there's no jack and no wheel brace.
As luck would have it, I was only 100 yards from what I bought it, so, they gave me a jack and brace and I'm now waiting at the tyre fitters while they replace the valve. I guess it's lucky it happened before I got underway, could have been nasty if it had let go on the motorway.
Curious to see what else happens on the journey home!
And will see what the sort mode feels like

Where in So'ton did you buy it from? Interested, as I know a fair few traders in the area, having been in the game myself, back in the seventies and early eighties...

I had a similar experience to yours, with the tyre valves, the first time I attempted to check my 2.7's pressures. The TPMS valve stems are aluminium and, as a result, corrode/rot when exposed to winter road salts (not to mention dissimilar metal corrosion). As Dave says: valve caps, other than plastic ones, should be avoided; and a smear of Vaseline or silicone grease on the thread is good preventive maintenance.

Get yourself an aerosol of Bilt Hamber's 'Ferrosol', too (Opie Oils, on eBay); it's an essential accessory for any motorist, and works wonders at keeping the rear spoiler mechanism from playing up! Remember that WD40 is merely a water-displacer and solvent-lubricant.
p6rob   
Sat Sep 23 2017, 07:41pm
Thanks guys. The cap was a standard plastic one, however, I've got no idea what may have been on before. Would like to be able to say the rest of the journey was uneventful and to be fair, it mostly was. There were regualr notifications about faulty seatbelt or pre-tensiosers and one other wheel is not being monitored, the display says offside front (but I suspect it's the nearside, as that seems to have a standard tyre valve) and the cruise control won't activate. However, more significantly, towards the end of the journey, during stop start motorway traffic, there were a few very harsh gear changes and a gearbox faulty warning was displayed. I suspect the fluid level is low, however, I couldn't find any means to check it.
Having since read the technical document on here, I guess it'll need to go into a garage for checking.
Looks like I'll be reading up quite a few more of the how to documents on here, so, thank you to anyone that's contributed to them.

Rob

Rob
p6rob   
Sun Sep 24 2017, 01:52pm
Following reading some of the tech documents and after a bit of jiggling of the steering wheel adjustment, cruise is working again. I'll take the nacelle off at some point and do the recommended modification to the cable ties.
Also took the air filter box out and put 1/2 litre of gearbox oil in. It seemed quieter and smoother up until it got fully earth, then started playing up again. I've got no means to get the car up high enough to access the drain and level plugs, so, it'll have to go into a garage to check it properly.I did notice there was an oily residue over the multi plug on top of the gearbox, so perhaps a clean up might help.

Rob

C6Dave   
Tue Oct 03 2017, 07:01pm

When I got the new (to me) 2.7 in normal suspension mode it did feel very 'floaty' and did wallow a bit but I have just done over 200 miles over the past 3 days on French 'D' roads in normal mode and the car has adjusted to my driving style to the point that there seems little difference between it and 'sport' mode.

Thinking back to my 1st C6 the experience was pretty much the same, you need to give the car (and yourself) time to let things settle especially where a C6 has had a long rest period on a garage forecourt

Off Topic (partly) but I now know why the rear spoiler fully deploys at 124 kph, just below the 130 kph French Auto route limit. At 130 kph with the speed limited engaged the car is doing what it was designed to do, gobble up the miles in stress free comfort
Website

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club