Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: 3.0 HDi Forum

Charging and steering- serious problems

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Tjensen   
Mon Aug 07 2017, 07:29pm
Member No: #954
For the first time, my C6 is undriveable. Probably started with the generator clutch. Strange noises before message about charging error. After a while , steering became super-heavy. Could drive home and charge the battery. Starting again OK, suspension OK. No warnings. But steering again too heavy for getting the car out of the parked position. My questions: Is there a belt for both steering and generator , that might have broken after the generator clutch started making problems ? Or some electrical problems ? Is the only solution the get a service truck to the nearest Citroen garage ?
(The 3,0 have differenet generator setup and different steering, compared to the 2,7)
e3steve   
Mon Aug 07 2017, 07:40pm
Member No: #1163
The accessory / services / serpentine belt drives the steering pump as well as the a/c compressor and the alternator.
vaho   
Tue Aug 08 2017, 05:56am
Member No: #2228
And water pump to, so driving with broken belt is really not advisable.
Tjensen   
Tue Aug 08 2017, 08:00am
If it is also the water pump, as you say, I really should not try to drive to the garage (my usual is 100 km away, but I also have one only 15 km away). I managed to drive the car into the garage last night and have ordered a new generator (at one fith of the Norwegian Citroen official price). I will check the water pump issue, I did not get overheating warnings when driving, just electrical.
vaho   
Tue Aug 08 2017, 10:02am
You really only have to check the accessory belt. It is clearly visible if you look downwards into the generator-power steering pump area left of the engine when facing the car. If there is no belt or the belt is broken/loose then 100 km without coolant circulation is too much.

Tjensen   
Tue Aug 08 2017, 10:38am
Thanks for a very instructive and useful picture ! But is the setup the same on the 3,0 Hdi ? (This picture is the 2,7 engine). I hope not, since I drove a lot of km's with broken aux belt.
vaho   
Tue Aug 08 2017, 11:21am
Yes, the belt drive is the same, 3.0 has the same belt with part no 5750XC.
Cisco   
Tue Aug 08 2017, 11:31am
Member No: #1429
Hi Tjensen,

Yes, the basic arrangement of the 3l is the same as the 2.7l with respect to belts and pulleys, I think Vaho's pic is actually the 3l.

If you continue to run the car without the aux belt you are running it without a waterpump. Disaster will eventually follow.

From your original post it is clear that the aux belt has failed - either by itself or due to any one of the various pulleys failing causing the belt to fail. Once you get full access it will be clear what has failed.

Good luck with it.

Frank
Tjensen   
Tue Aug 08 2017, 11:32am
Thanks again for very useful information. So I just have to be very anxious about the condition of the engine, and to use professional help to get the car to the nearest dealer/garage
vaho   
Tue Aug 08 2017, 11:49am
No Frank, it is the 2.7 HDI engine. On 3.0 the EGR valves are different and as seen on the picture below it seems the vacuum pump also. There are other differences (air intake tubes, different turbos, crankcase ventilation etc) but yes, the belt drive setup is the same.

Tjensen   
Tue Aug 08 2017, 04:53pm
Visited the car again after all this good information. And, yes, the aux belt has slipped of the wheels. All the wheels are turning OK, but the generator made a lot of noise up to the incident, so that is the cause. The belt looks OK, but this car is too complicated to just hook it on again, as we could in the old days (But even the DS was a bit complicated in the "fan belt" area). I have been driving without generator, water pump and servo for some km's (20 ?) and just have to hope all is well with the engine. Will follow up when work is fished (1-2 weeks ?). Thanks for help and information ! And one last question. When replacing generator and its belt, what else would be sensible to to at the same time (130 000km) . Timing belt ? Water pump ? Rollers and tensioners ?
vaho   
Mon Aug 14 2017, 07:53am
I think the timing belt changing interval is close to 200 000 km. You can check the correct number from the user manual. So if the timing belt covers are intact and there was no risk something getting into the belt drive area, there is no need to change the timing belt. At 130 000 I would´t be worried about the water pump also but for the peace of mind you can change it of course. What I would change during an alternator replacement is the water outlet tank. It is fairly unexpensive piece but it is common to failure and it requires the alternator removal to change it and since you are already doing that change the water outlet tank.
e3steve   
Mon Aug 14 2017, 08:40am
Member No: #1163

The water pump is a sensible replacement suggestion, but really only when going in to replace the timing belt and its associated tensioner & idlers. I did mine -- on my 2.7 -- at 110,000 miles(176,000kms), as it coincided with the ten-year recommendation. I also replaced the coolant intake, as Vaho has suggested, as it had been weeping and I already had the bumper off and the wheel arch liners stripped out.

On the 2.7, it's necessary to unbolt the a/c compressor and lower it, suspended by its hoses and a couple of strategically-attached zip-ties, in order to remove the alternator. Not sure about the 3.0, though.
Tjensen   
Mon Aug 14 2017, 09:54am
Thanks for good advice ! Is the water outlet tank the same as 2,7 ? I have talked to the local dealer and they have ordered the necessary parts for generator, aux belt, water pump, timing belt and acessories, but not the water outlet tank. Is it the same as the thermostat housing ?
Cisco   
Mon Aug 14 2017, 11:01am
Member No: #1429
Hi Tjensen,

The item that is being recommended to change is the water INLET tank (the outlet tank is a different item and contains the thermostat). The part number for the 2.7 inlet tank is 1336Y2. I cannot confirm if it is same item for the 3.0hdi. I have attached a pic.

It is a simple item but completely inaccessible without removing the alternator. The plastic flange fails underneath the O-ring...

You will be very upset if you replace all the items you mention above only to have to go back in to replace this later so definitely replace it now!

Good luck with it.

Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club