C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Adjusting C6 suspension height

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
FraserG   
Thu Aug 03 2017, 10:14pm
Member No: #2011
Hi Steve, I have one similar right hand corner which seems to catch the C6 suspension out a little and it feels like it is kicking sideways. My pervious Citroen's don't or didn't react the same way and I just put it down to how heavy the C6 is. Perhaps it shouldn't behave this way? I don't have another C6 to compare to. I obviously need another one.

ul9601   
Thu Aug 03 2017, 11:19pm
Member No: #1975
FraserG wrote ...

Hi Steve, I have one similar right hand corner which seems to catch the C6 suspension out a little and it feels like it is kicking sideways. My pervious Citroen's don't or didn't react the same way and I just put it down to how heavy the C6 is. Perhaps it shouldn't behave this way? I don't have another C6 to compare to. I obviously need another one.

Want to buy mine?
We can do another swap-a-drive if you like - while at it, get Ken as well.
FraserG   
Mon Aug 07 2017, 02:33am
Good idea although I suspect that my wife would not understand.

Still loving my car although I feel that I should really be treating it to some preventative maintenance? I hear the odd squeal from a belt somewhere and I'd really like to have the gearbox oil changed. And then of course there are the cam belts which are due about now.

I suspect my wife won't understand those costs either.

We should organise a run with the cars and Ken. I shot up to Whangarei for the afternoon on Saturday and it was a breeze with the family on board.
ul9601   
Mon Aug 07 2017, 05:26am
FraserG wrote ...

...Still loving my car although I feel that I should really be treating it to some preventative maintenance? I hear the odd squeal from a belt somewhere and I'd really like to have the gearbox oil changed. And then of course there are the cam belts which are due about now...

Gearbox oil can do wonders for the car - it doesn't cost much. I've had down twice so far.
I should get the height checked/adjusted first before partaking in swapdrive...
Let me know if you want quote comparisons for cambelt/water pump/injection pump belt.
PercyPorcelain   
Mon Aug 07 2017, 07:50pm
Member No: #2027
I seldom play with my suspension height, isn't it only for emergencies or crawling up a mountain track? And with all the speed bumps in London, I'd never lower it. Anyway doesn't the manual say it resets itself to normal height once you're over about 30mph?
ul9601   
Mon Aug 07 2017, 10:55pm
PercyPorcelain wrote ...

I seldom play with my suspension height, isn't it only for emergencies or crawling up a mountain track? And with all the speed bumps in London, I'd never lower it. Anyway doesn't the manual say it resets itself to normal height once you're over about 30mph?

Percy,
We are talking about the factory spec height at normal setting, which supposedly has a massive impact in ride comfort.
By the way, I use height setting switches quite often, especially when parking nose in as the long front overhang tends to go over the kerb or parking stop, which tends to be higher than the lowest part of the nose.
Cheers,
Sam
HiPOL   
Tue Aug 08 2017, 09:45pm
Member No: #2699
gmerry wrote ...

Hi Phil, I should really post this elsewhere together with some suspension geometry data: however, I have a problem with the rear suspension (specially driver side) kicking sideways over bumps.

This started after I had all 4 wheels aligned. Prior to that I changed out the rear adjustable toe-in links (old ones were seized). Changing the links but adjusting the new lines to the same length as the old (say+/-1mm) did not induce any sideways kicking.

Prior to that I had excessive rear tyre wear on the inside edges and excessive rear camber.

The excessive camber problem was reduced by realigned the rear wheels.
Does anyone else have a sideways kicking rear suspension?

thanks

Considering your problems started after wheels alingnement - probably somebody did something wrong...
My friend had similar problem , he reduced settings for more neutral (afair 4.5 -> 1) and problem was gone.
speedfix   
Wed Aug 09 2017, 08:19am
Member No: #1043
This may help with the strange suspension failings including a rear wheel kicking out.
When I purchased my car the front shocks were leaking and shot together with other items.
The ride was less than perfect and was used in sport mode to get the best ride until the new parts arrived and fitted.

Once all the jobs were done a road test was carried out with the improved ride but not perfect still with the o/s rear wheel kicking on turns with bumps.

Time to get Lexia out and do program check, this showed the rh rear height sensor fault, locating bracket was out of sink [bent] also all the sensor links had some wear, temp repair carried out to them still ok now!

A total suspension programming was then carried out I will not even attempt to do a write up on that but Cruiserphil has put up a good account of a time consuming job.
The end results are just beyond expectations.
Now the cars ride and handling at speeds, bumps loaded or otherwise is just amassing.
e3steve   
Wed Aug 09 2017, 08:34am
Member No: #1163
Both of mine rock/jiggle a bit, side to side, on some less-than-even road surfaces, and the front end has a tendency to 'fall off' speed humps, with what sounds like the struts reaching full excursion -- again, both of them.

In COMFORT mode, both exhibit the same undulating waft in a straight line; switching to SPORT setting does not affect the comfort of the ride, but merely suppresses the waftiness.
tich731   
Wed Aug 09 2017, 09:12am
Member No: #3023
My car behaves in the same way that e3steve describes. As a new owner, I would be reassured by others if this is confirmed as normal suspension characteristics.
FraserG   
Wed Aug 09 2017, 09:33pm
My car also behaves as e3steve describes. I actually prefer the sport setting for comfort. My CX's rode better in my view as did my XM and DS. The C6 really does bang when falling off speed humps.
e3steve   
Thu Aug 10 2017, 08:33am
Member No: #1163
I'm instructed to switch to SPORT mode when The Lovely m'Tracy is aboard; she claims she feels nauseous in the C6s. I found a cure (stop looking down at her device!), but does she listen...?

We sold her Megane CC in favour of a late Megane GT diesel. Back-breaking suspension!
gmerry   
Thu Aug 10 2017, 11:18am
Member No: #21
Hi Speedfix and others, most helpful comments.

I suspect the rear right suspension height sensor linkage rod is sticking on its balljoints (I replaced the linkages completely on the rear left) and that may be contributing to the suspension behaviour.

So, its time to sort any mechanical issues, check all with Lexia, maybe tweak the ride height and then reassess the rear wheel alignments. (I might just do that with a crude measuring stick first, before asking any garages to intervene with their laser based gizmos).

On the sideways rocking, yes that's normal C6 behaviour.

regards
speedfix   
Thu Aug 10 2017, 09:19pm
Member No: #1043
If I was being critical about my C6 ride I would say the first mile or so is not the best, I tend to think that the suspension etc is in its learning curve.
After it settles IMO the ride is comfy perfect in comfort mode, put it in sport mode the suspension becomes more harsh and lower the rear locks the travel in under hard acceleration.
The steering becomes more direct with sport and speed, the use of the steering angle hardware when set up correctly after the suspension programming makes the car a delight to drive .
Amvar with sky and road hook really works well.
As for the speed humps slow or fast the ride is smooth, still on the original spheres!

IMO. If all fails with correct setups get the car to a main dealer and get a software update.
HiPOL   
Thu Aug 10 2017, 10:34pm
Member No: #2699
e3steve wrote ...

Both of mine rock/jiggle a bit, side to side, on some less-than-even road surfaces, and the front end has a tendency to 'fall off' speed humps, with what sounds like the struts reaching full excursion -- again, both of them.

In COMFORT mode, both exhibit the same undulating waft in a straight line; switching to SPORT setting does not affect the comfort of the ride, but merely suppresses the waftiness.

This effect described by you as "strut reaching full excursion" was my nightmare for a long time. I solved it changing height settings. When i was adjusting height following DiagBox instructions my C6 was always standing little too high. Actually not only my, cause i did this procedure in other C6s, and in many cases wasn`t happy with result (too high position). Then i changed parameters "cheating" CSS ECU and finally my C6 was standing in correct position. Ride quality was way better, effect described above is gone now. I don`t remember any other Citroen beeing so sensitive for height setting - margine of error is very, very low.

Must admit that i also drive my car in SPORT mode on bad quality roads. Sometimes i find it a little too soft in COMFORT mode.
Checking parameters with DiagBox while driving i found that in SPORT mode AMVAR valves automaticaly switch to position 6 instead of 1 in COMFORT mode (same driving conditions).
Just like e3steve mentioned , difference in comfort between is SPORT/COMFORT mode is hardly noticable. Can`t say that about other Citroens where difference is bigger. Even C5 X7 which has almost identical suspension is way harder on SPORT mode. No idea why...?

Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club