Sun Sep 28 2014, 02:13pm
Member No: #1799
Phew!!!
magicands   
Mon Sep 29 2014, 09:14am
Member No: #1021
Rooster wrote ...

Phew!!!

Its a known issue with the C6, I got really Pi**ed off with mine a few months ago and slammed the steering rack adjustment back and forth a few times, this SEEMS to have ended my long running problem with loss of button function.
Website
Rooster   
Mon Sep 29 2014, 02:41pm
Member No: #1799
I havent seen that method in the owners manual Magichands........

Whatever works though eh? Its a Citroen afterall.
cruiserphil   
Mon Sep 29 2014, 07:44pm

Member No: #38
There's also Pappanase's trick of giving the underside of the steering column a sharp rap with your hand. That works for me!

Regards,

Phil C.
ChrisW   
Thu Jan 19 2017, 01:54pm
Member No: #1335
A huge thank you to Shaun! My cruise control had been dead for over a year. I did the steering wheel aerobics whilst driving slowly along a quiet straight road and it immediately came back to life - amazing.
e3steve   
Thu Jan 19 2017, 02:32pm
Member No: #1163
ChrisW wrote ...

A huge thank you to Shaun! My cruise control had been dead for over a year. I did the steering wheel aerobics whilst driving slowly along a quiet straight road and it immediately came back to life - amazing.
It won't last... I just bash the steering wheel rim nowadays. ColinC's, which is presently under my care, is the same!
Hattershaun   
Thu Jan 19 2017, 06:56pm
Member No: #320
Another forum member has removed the cowling under the steering wheel, removed the cable ties that are holding the wiring loom, slackened the cabling, installed new loose fitting ties and all has been OK since.
e3steve   
Sat Jan 21 2017, 11:42am
Member No: #1163
Hattershaun wrote ...

Another forum member has removed the cowling under the steering wheel, removed the cable ties that are holding the wiring loom, slackened the cabling, installed new loose fitting ties and all has been OK since.
Tried that too, Shaun, to no avail! The connector is, I seem to recall, just three or four ways; when it warms up a bit, weather-wise, and I get CYX back to a driveable status, I shall attempt to disassemble the connector and re-tension the female receptacles. This worked with my (b l o o d y awful RT3!!) rear connectors, which haven't given an issue since.

The problem with CANbus systems it that the digital switching signals require 100% conductivity integrity -- 99% just doesn't cut the mustard -- therefore the tiniest alteration/addition to the circuits' resistances results in critical changes to the control laws. This becomes particularly evident when the steering column connector is disturbed and, thus, its control signals become corrupted by the slightest alteration in resistance; suddenly, a button press to, say, increase or decrease the CC's speed setpoint causes the CC to 'pause' or the change to 'limit' instead of 'cruise control'. I've witnessed this on both my and Colin's cars! It's disconcerting if one isn't ready for it or is aware that it sometimes happens...

A sharp bash on the steering wheel rim and all is well again. Till the next time!
tyanko   
Mon Aug 07 2017, 08:59am
Member No: #1745
Hello guys,
Here is a very simple procedure I did, to bring back to life my buttons on steering wheel.

1. There are two T25 torx bolts under the steering wheel, that have to be removed.

After you need to pull the shell out, with a slight twist in orger to get over the ignition key element.

Inside are placed 5 connectors of COM 2000. I have pulled out every one end treated them with contact spray.

@ NOTE they they has a little lock pin that you need to press down to be able to release the coupling out.

This exercise takes me no more than 10 min.

Now everything on my wheel works great again.

321dave   
Tue Aug 08 2017, 02:38pm
Member No: #614
Hi Tyanko, thanks very much for posting the pictures of the under steering cowling and switches/wires. I was wondering do you have any photos of the cable that connects to the steering column adjuster switch visible in picture 3. Is that cable made up of a two or three cables in a wrapped bundle and how many pins connect into the sockets? And have you had any issues with the column adjuster jamming, or the switch failing outright? Thanks.
Wantathreelitre   
Fri Aug 11 2017, 05:55am
Member No: #3179
The steering wheel thing worked for me too!
tyanko   
Fri Aug 11 2017, 08:14am
Member No: #1745
321dave wrote ...

Hi Tyanko, thanks very much for posting the pictures of the under steering cowling and switches/wires. I was wondering do you have any photos of the cable that connects to the steering column adjuster switch visible in picture 3. Is that cable made up of a two or three cables in a wrapped bundle and how many pins connect into the sockets? And have you had any issues with the column adjuster jamming, or the switch failing outright? Thanks.

Hey Dave, unfortunately I haven't got other pictures taken. But you can go boldly to unscrew these two T25 bolts under wheel to check these cable wiring. On second question... No, I had no issues which this switch at all. My only problem was typically with buttons for cruise/speed limiter control.
Best, Tyanko
C6Marcy   
Thu Jul 16 2020, 03:25pm
Member No: #4417
Thank you "Tyanko" this electrical contact cleaner worked an absolute treat

A very quick, easy and rewarding job
Fraunie   
Thu Aug 06 2020, 02:46pm
Member No: #3763
After the procedure mine worked for the first time without moving the steering column first!
Thanks again for the tutorial!

Btw, there is a theory saying if you treat all the connectors everywhere in the car with contact spray, the C6 will drive again as new
M2dis   
Wed Jun 14 2023, 07:45am
Member No: #3475
Thanks for this tip, tyanko! I searched trough the forums years ago, possibly before your post and decided that I can live with moving the steering column.

Cleaned the contacts and CC has been working nicely since then. Cant believe that it was so easy fix all along
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club