C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Passenger Windscreen Wiper Fix

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
markp   
Fri Jul 14 2017, 06:41pm
Member No: #1746
A couple of weeks ago the passenger side windscreen wiper on my 2007 C6 simply stopped working. It would not move from the parked position. The driver side wiper carried on working fine.

There are a couple of threads (fairly inconclusive) on this issue, but, now that I've fixed mine, I thought it was worth giving an account.

First I connected a laptop and interogated the system using the proper Citroen software. Looking through there were no faults against the wipers.

Judging by previous posts, the passenger side wiper is controlled by the driver side wiper, which is controlled by the relevant ECU in the car.

So, my problem was either a failure in the driver side wiper with it not properly controlling the passenger side wiper OR a failure in the passenger side wiper.

Removal of the wiper motors is easy:
Open the bonnet, remove the wiper arms (a wiper arm removal tool is great), prise off the black plastic cover across the base of the windwscreen. Each wiper assembly has three bolts holding it to the car and there is a big plastic clip on the assembly that clasps a large cluster of cables (this is easily unlatched, just by pulling the latch bit away from the centre of the clip). Then the electrical plug comes away easily if you depress its latch.

I opened the driver side gearbox/controller first - there are a number of stainless steel clips holding the cover plate to the main part of the gearbox. These clips can be sprung off with a small flat bladed screwdriver. Once this was open, I could see nothing obvious, but I couldn't prise the electronics board off the cover plate.

Opening the passenger side wiper I found water inside the gearbox/electronics (they are contained together).

I noted all of the part numbers and the hardware (hw) and software (sw) revision numbers from the passenger wiper assembly and found an identical item on a popular Internet auction site (!). In fact, I found two, both from Peugeot 407 coupés. I suspect that Peugeot 407 saloons and estates (SW) do not share wiper motors with the C6 - only the 407 coupé (although the saloon and estate wiper motors look the same, they don't seem to come with the same part numbers etc.).

On fitting this identical passenger side wiper assembly from the 407 coupe, the passenger wiper worked. Problem solved.

My comments on the other threads:

*Maybe* you have to program the driver side wiper motor to the car. I doubt it though. There seemed to be no function for this in the Citroen diagnostic/service software.

I doubt that you would program a passenger side motor to the driver side motor - I would say that you simply have to have matching part and revision numbers.

You *may* be able to swap your original matched pair with a different matched pair (I think that the part numbers should be the same as your original parts, but the hardware and software revision are allowed to be different to the old parts - but would match within the new pair). However, I don't know if the driver side motor would be successfully controlled by your car - although I would expect it to be OK if the part number is the same (even though the hw and sw revisions are changed).

If you have a right hand drive car, don't replace the wiper motor assemblies with items off a left hand drive car. It's *extremely* unlikely that they would work (my assumption is that they could not possibly work).

It is always the driver side motor that controls the passenger side motor whatever side your steering wheel is on.

I hope that this is helpful. Comments and corrections are welcome.

Cheers,

Mark
e3steve   
Sat Jul 15 2017, 08:39am
Member No: #1163
Thoughtfully researched, recounted and written, Mark. Nice one!
PercyPorcelain   
Sat Jul 15 2017, 02:23pm
Member No: #2027
Can I just say (on the subject of wipers) that finally, after about 15 near-disasters, I have reached that level of C6 owner professionalism whereby I ACTUALLY REMEMBER to return wipers to rest on screen BEFORE attempting to lower the bonnet!

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club