C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Car Care and Maintenance Tips

Driver's chest (steering wheel centre) airbag removal

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
e3steve   
Mon Apr 17 2017, 08:42pm
Member No: #1163
DISCONNECT THE BATTERY BY THE APPROVED AND ADVISED METHOD (i.e. Wait three minutes after switching off the ignition. Lower the driver's door glass fully and open the other doors to activate the micro-descent of their drop-glasses. Open the boot and, using the tip of a screwdriver, close the boot latch to prevent accidental closure!)

Here's a pictorial look into what occurs under the driver's chest airbag enclosure, showing the method of removal from the steering wheel:

Aperture, retaining clip and retainers' recesses

Screwdriver in place and ready to depress clip

Screwdriver pressed home -- note the clip is now slightly deformed in order to release the retainers
cruiserphil   
Mon Apr 17 2017, 09:30pm

Member No: #38
Brilliant Steve,

Many thanks for posting,

Best regards,

Phil C.
321dave   
Tue Apr 18 2017, 12:36pm
Member No: #614
Thanks Steve, I'll need this very procedure soon as I'm fitting a new steering wheel and airbag as part of the interior upgrade. Many thanks. I'll pop up picture when I finally get around to the task. The new rear anti roll bar will be fitted this week and new bushes on the front one. Should be interesting to see the difference.

Phil, how did your respray workout recently, was just wondering. Would be great to see a few photos of the finshed car. I'm sure it's amazing.

eduardomaio   
Sat Jul 08 2017, 10:13pm
Member No: #869
I like how in the technical documents they very specifically ask for a Torx27 when a Torx30 or a square bit of similar size is enough to depress the clip and the airbag just pops out. Like so:

- Click Here -

But in the document about removing the steering wheel nowhere is mentioned that you need a Torx45 to actually remove a screw.
Website

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club