Top-end noise

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
e3steve   
Sat Jul 08 2017, 08:29am
Member No: #1163
Clatter, clatter, clatter!

Robert & Barry didn't seem fazed by the noisiness, but is anyone else's 3.0 like it? Shaun? David?
Sue(Phil )?
Tjensen   
Sat Jul 08 2017, 10:46am
Member No: #954
There should be little or no traditional diesel clatter from the 3,0 Hdi, if that was the question. But you can hear the deep murring of the V6 and that it is a diesel, especialle at idle (and a little more when cold, but nothing like the classical diesel clatter) The 3,0 should have less diesel sound than the 2,7.
e3steve   
Sun Jul 09 2017, 07:46am
Tjensen wrote ...

There should be little or no traditional diesel clatter from the 3,0 Hdi, if that was the question. But you can hear the deep murring of the V6 and that it is a diesel, especialle at idle (and a little more when cold, but nothing like the classical diesel clatter) The 3,0 should have less diesel sound than the 2,7.

Mine emits mechanical clatter, as opposed to diesel detonation noise...
Tjensen   
Sun Jul 09 2017, 08:24am
Member No: #954
Probably there is a problem that should be fixed before it gets expensive.....
e3steve   
Sun Jul 09 2017, 09:55am
Tjensen wrote ...

Probably there is a problem that should be fixed before it gets expensive.....
That was my view but, as previously stated in my opening gambit, BL Autos didn't seem particularly bothered by the noise...
321dave   
Sun Jul 09 2017, 02:34pm
Member No: #614
Hi Steve, can you record with your phone the sound your referring to on the 3.0 and maybe others can do a similar compare sound for you. That way you will know what a normal 3.0 sound is like versus a slight knocking engine sound. I know as these engine sounds change they can creep up and we don't notice the subtle changes till it's quite noisy.
Hattershaun   
Mon Jul 10 2017, 05:03am
Member No: #320
Not really sure what to say. My 3.0hdi engine sounds just the same as the 2.7hdi other than being quieter (when inside the cabin).
You can hear the EGR valves go through their start up and close down procedure of opening/closing about a dozen times when the engine is first switched on or turned off. That's a clackerty clack noise.
I'm assuming your engine oil is at the correct level and of the correct grade.
Could there be something loose in the engine bay that is rattling, maybe a heat shield or the auxiliary belt tensioner not doing it's job properly or one of the components with a worn bearing (alternator, air con pump).
cruiserphil   
Mon Jul 10 2017, 09:22am

Member No: #38
E3,

I would go along with Tjensen and Hattershaun. Drive away sound would be a little quieter too. Definitely interior sound is very different - not just the level but the whole sound of the engine.

Might try a recording as suggested bu 321Dave.

Best regards,

Phil C.

Hattershaun   
Mon Jul 10 2017, 09:12pm
Member No: #320

Steve, next time you are passing my house, by all means come and do a back to back drive/comparison.
e3steve   
Tue Jul 11 2017, 06:51am
321dave wrote ...

Hi Steve, can you record with your phone the sound your referring to on the 3.0 and maybe others can do a similar compare sound for you. That way you will know what a normal 3.0 sound is like versus a slight knocking engine sound. I know as these engine sounds change they can creep up and we don't notice the subtle changes till it's quite noisy.

That's my next move, Dave.

I started up, in the garage, on Sunday for a short outing; it's much quieter than my 2.7 on initial startup & idle and only seems to clatter when hot...
gmerry   
Tue Jul 11 2017, 07:15am
Member No: #21
Hi E3steve, what you are describing sounds like a camshaft/tappet issue. Can you isolate it to the front or rear bank?

It may well be worth stripping down the top of the head to have a look.

regards
e3steve   
Fri Jul 14 2017, 07:24am
gmerry wrote ...

Hi E3steve, what you are describing sounds like a camshaft/tappet issue. Can you isolate it to the front or rear bank?

It may well be worth stripping down the top of the head to have a look.

regards

I think I've been fretting over nothing, Gerry; I've had my local independent have a listen, and he reckons it's just the tappets.

The 'Lion' 3.0HDi engine, he says, is bomb-proof (as is the 2.7 version in other cars other than PSA applications!).

He's booked it in for a looksee and attention in a fortnight...
321dave   
Fri Jul 14 2017, 05:04pm
Member No: #614
Hi Steve, are you still thinking about recording the engine sound if you get a chance. Even better when it's cold? You can upload to youtube from your phone video (that's what I do)
And make the video open to public viewing on YouTube. you just need to paste the link back into the site here. I would personally like to start a thread as a noise library for people to check various sounds against there own car. Pity we could do the same for suspension settings of the perfect C6 setup!
e3steve   
Sat Sep 23 2017, 10:32am
Well, I think we found the noise. It's not apparent when the car's cold, and it's not coming from the engine. It seems to be from the front comfort sphere valve block, in the r/h wheel arch and ahead of the wheel.

I'm doing a trip to Gatport Airwick this afternoon, so I'll record the noise.

Here's what I recorded from the engine bay:

1. From cold - - Click Here -

2. Warmed up a little - - Click Here - and

3. After a drive - - Click Here -

And, just because I found it in my YT account, my 1964 Honda Dream 300 Super Sport idling at 450rpm (which isn't supposed to be possible without it bogging out!) - - Click Here -
Please ignore the rattling "little ends" bushes!

EDIT: Ok, here's the clatter that I'm referring to - - Click Here -
speedfix   
Mon Sep 25 2017, 04:04pm
Member No: #1043
Could be the power steering pump, alternator free wheel hub or tensioner chatter maybe, my engine is quiet apart from the V6 song when under power!
Can you try and use a long screw driver and listen to the various units.
If you are this way in Somerset you could compare both 3.0 hdi.
From one of the clips it looked that the engine had excess vibration!
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club