C6owners :: Forums :: The Lounge :: The Lounge

Why do C6s fetch so little money?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Wantathreelitre   
Mon Jul 03 2017, 08:23pm
Member No: #3179
For me this is a totally unique car. Likely to be the next DS in the collectable Citroen stakes, once their numbers fall a bit further in R H D form. Loaded with kit, even in Lignage spec and absolutely great to drive. Equivalent Mondeos fetch more fgs, even with a boring 2.0 diesel 4 pot instead of the creamy 2.7 V6 in my car.
So why in your view is a good low mileage one, costing almost £40,000 new, not a £9,000 car now, rather than the £5,000 they command?
FraserG   
Mon Jul 03 2017, 09:35pm
Member No: #2011
People with little imagination are scared of what they perceive as complicated engineering that every day mechanics will struggle to service and maintain. It's all about perceptions supported by mechanics and so called experts. I owned two CX's for twenty five years and people always queried how I could afford to keep such exotic machines serviced and maintained. The reality was that they were cheaper to operate than their new Japanese looser cruisers or SUV's which devalued at twice the cost of maintaining my wonderful characterful Citroens which I loved driving. Plus they were much easier to find in the supermarket carpark! My C6 would be the same but I never park it at the supermarket, only parallel parking on the street.
Trainman   
Tue Jul 04 2017, 04:29am

Member No: #86
Big Citroen's have always lost relative value because, as Fraser says, it 's the "Fear Factor" people have been told for years that the suspension will fail and it's expensive to repair.......

When we were kids we had a CX Familile and people were always saying to my dad that he must be mad for for buying it...... look at what they are fetching now....... IF you can find one....

PercyPorcelain   
Wed Jul 05 2017, 07:33pm
Member No: #2027
They seem to be cheaper than ever now... trying not to amass a fleet! I think the road tax frightens off many, with only 2.2s, early 2.7s and 3.0s escaping £500+ a year. Call me cheap, but I would just be permanently incandescent about being ripped off like that by 'the man'
MarkBevan   
Thu Jul 06 2017, 08:35am
Member No: #3172
Why do C6s fetch so little money, it's because they are rubbish !

Do we allow that kind of humour on this forum
Bishop   
Thu Jul 06 2017, 08:36am
Member No: #868
The low pricing reflects the fact that it is not a cheap car to own ... and also that there was not exactly strong demand for them when they were new, hence the instant rarity/ classic status. As has been pointed out, the tax on the vast majority of C6s available is very high, and although parts are not that bad, most jobs take a number of hours and so rack up the labour costs. I'd add that most cars seem to hit a certain mileage/ age when a number of things go wrong in short spurt, and then things settle down again - but to some onlookers it might seem like they just constantly go wrong after - say 80k.

As I have written before, I love my C6 and have kept it on even though it's no longer my daily driver (I do 15 miles a day, most days, on my commute to work),, which is probably the most decadent thing I have ever done in my life. However, I am realistic about the ownership costs and experience which is not for the faint-hearted.
Trainman   
Fri Jul 07 2017, 08:50am

MarkBevan wrote ...

we do!!! taking the mickey and having a laugh are one of the things that make this forum work.

e3steve   
Sat Jul 08 2017, 07:45am
Member No: #1163
Trainman wrote ...

MarkBevan wrote ...

we do!!! taking the mickey and having a laugh are one of the things that make this forum work.

Hence my avatar...
e3steve   
Sat Jul 08 2017, 07:52am
Member No: #1163
Like Phil & Shaun, I now have two (possibly three soon!).

I'm not fussed about selling my 2.7; I still love it, especially now it's pretty much through its menopause!

I may have to take on Colin's soon, as he's in a sad state and partially paralysed due to a neck injury, although I think he needs something to work towards.

The fewer these luscious Citroëns become, the more they'll appreciate...
Sevenman   
Sat Jul 08 2017, 08:38am
Member No: #2241
As Bishop noted, a small pool of people willing to buy these new probably translates to a small pool of people keen to buy them 2nd hand.

When I bought mine the previous owner asked me what had attracted me to the C6, and I had made a conscious decision to go for something that wasn't mainstream. Given my other car is a TVR, I seem to be consistent.

I think they are more appealing as a 2nd hand buy than when new. Yes the tax is unpleasant on most of them, but I don't think they are any more difficult or expensive to maintain than other cars of a similar age, and certainly have a lot more presence and are far more interesting than a 530d or comparable E-class.

For those that hang in, I see them as a likely future classic.
Trainman   
Sat Jul 08 2017, 09:02am

Sevenman wrote ...

I think they are more appealing as a 2nd hand buy than when new. Yes the tax is unpleasant on most of them, but I don't think they are any more difficult or expensive to maintain than other cars of a similar age, and certainly have a lot more presence and are far more interesting than a 530d or comparable E-class.

The road tax is a big issue, the amount of people that say, "I don't know how you afford it" my answer is the same everytime........."it doesn't matter to me, If I can't afford it, I shouldn't have bought it!"

It would be nice for them to appreciate, I bought mine for the 'long haul' I don't care about the bill's or road tax, and yes the insurance can be horrendous, but I don't care.

How many car's put a smile on your face EVERYTIME you drive it?
Sevenman   
Sat Jul 08 2017, 09:39am
Member No: #2241
Trainman wrote ...

The road tax is a big issue, the amount of people that say, "I don't know how you afford it" my answer is the same everytime........."it doesn't matter to me, If I can't afford it, I shouldn't have bought it!"

It would be nice for them to appreciate, I bought mine for the 'long haul' I don't care about the bill's or road tax, and yes the insurance can be horrendous, but I don't care.

How many car's put a smile on your face EVERYTIME you drive it?

You go in with your eyes open. The C6 has cost me as much to run as I expected, and the tax is just a part of that. If (like a friend of mine), you want to drive a £0 tax Hyundai i30, that is what to go for. If you want a much more interesting car, then the C6 is there.

Insurance is pretty cheap on mine (but an i30 would be cheaper...).
Jas16   
Sat Jul 08 2017, 10:15am
Member No: #2994
From my side, I had always wanted one since I saw it at the Motor show many years ago. Yes the tax issue played on my mind, so I was willing to compromise for a manual version. After searching for many months, one came up within my budget, yes it required some work [bit more than anticipated] but I was willing to take the hit as I wanted it for the long haul. My previous car was a Volvo S70, kept in reasonable condition so I respect that cars need money spending on them. Incidentally I still have the old car, had it too long to see it being sold.

Even though the car is 10 years old it attracts admirers, more so than the equivalent Merc CLS for example.

Alas my time with the C6 may come to a short end, with all the work required, my family has got the impression that I have brought a barge.

We will see how time progresses, the C6, like the S70 I have makes me feel special. What I love most is that I brought a car for my needs, not a sports car, but one that puts comfort at the forefront. I guess my biggest gripe is people by 4x4's that never touch a drop of mud. Anyway I have my motorbike for thrills when the mood dictates.
Wantathreelitre   
Sat Jul 08 2017, 11:54am
Member No: #3179
My current other car is a BMW M4 coupe, a car bought in May this year with high miles (68,000) and thus potentially some outlay due shortly. But on a similar vein i went in with my eyes open, the car was fully £10,000 below average-miles book price for a 2014 car and i accept the risk. I do find it odd, that it's much cheaper to tax than my C6 though. Despite being a 426 bhp 3 litre I6.
Trainman   
Sun Jul 09 2017, 05:41pm

Wantathreelitre wrote ...

I do find it odd, that it's much cheaper to tax than my C6 though. Despite being a 426 bhp 3 litre I6.

As per usual, it's all down to the government moving the goal posts, my first 2005 C6 was £225 per year, come April 2006, it increased to £500+
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club