C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

cooling fan run-on

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
rosecut   
Mon Jul 03 2017, 09:53am
Member No: #2520
Have noticed over the last week or so that when I stop engine a fan runs on (quite loundly) for up to 10 minutes.I understand that the weather is a tad warmer now, but I have had the car for over a year and this has not happened before.
The only work I have had done recently was a top-up to the air conditioning, cant imagine this is linked, just a heads-up.

Any thoughts?

Rosecut
e3steve   
Mon Jul 03 2017, 10:10am
Member No: #1163
The aircon condenser gets pretty hot, as it needs to get rid of the heat created at the pressure side of the system. Ten minutes seems a long time, though.

My fans only seem to run on full chat if I test them by removing the connector from the (grey) temperature sensor, atop the heater matrix supply hose (r/h/s of the engine and just beneath the "V6 HDi" cover on the 2.7). Perhaps yours is faulty; what does the temperature gauge read? It shares the same sensor.
travlician   
Mon Jul 03 2017, 12:53pm
Member No: #350
Check coolant immediately!
e3steve   
Mon Jul 03 2017, 04:46pm
travlician wrote ...

Check coolant immediately!
Good shout but, from personal experience, I know that the fans don't run at all if the coolant drops below the level of the temp sensor. Even the temp gauge doesn't show an increase! The sensor must be immersed in order to function properly, otherwise it's just sensing the temperature of the air in that hose (which is about as helpful as a handbrake on a canoe).

B l o o d y ridiculous place to put the damnable thing, if you ask me; right at the top of the highest coolant hose in the entire system. That hose isn't even too hot to touch when the coolant level drops...
rosecut   
Mon Jul 03 2017, 06:22pm
Update.
Fan runs for around 5 minutes, seemed longer, so that ties in with cooling of the condenser.The air con, since the re-gas, works better than ever before so this could also lead down the same road.

Thanks guys,

Rosecut
Leo   
Tue Jul 04 2017, 10:44am
Member No: #94
Agree with Steve, again from personal experience, two head gaskets and a whole lot of hassle.

Leo
rosecut   
Wed Jul 05 2017, 01:03pm
Duhhhh.
Checked coolant level, way down.
Topped up and took for a spin, no fan over-run.
Now worried about why I needed to add just over 1.5 litres to system.
Will monitor level, hope not to go down the same road as Leo......
Hattershaun   
Wed Jul 05 2017, 02:00pm
Member No: #320
Check the coolant inlet & outlet degassing tanks on the end of the engine, they are known to go brittle with age and leak, along with associated piping.
They can give way suddenly and dump all the coolant.
Same end of the engine as the LDS reservoir and the main coolant reservoir.

Leo   
Wed Jul 05 2017, 02:27pm
Member No: #94
Agree wholeheartedly with last post. My outlet tank failed suddenly and with catastrophic results. There was no warning. I had kept an eye on coolant levels and had no gradual losses. The tank failed on a motorway journey. No rise in temperature indicated on the temperature gauge. Just a sudden loss of cabin heating. I pulled in promptly to investigate, to find steam venting from under the bonnet. Head gaskets blown. Get your entire cooling system checked.

Leo
gmerry   
Wed Jul 05 2017, 02:33pm
Member No: #21
Rosecut and any recently joined forum owners, the most effective solution to alarm on loss of coolant is to install a level sensor in the header (pressurisation) tank. There is a sticky of how to install the OEM level switch/sensor from a Pug 407 and how to wire this back through the relevant ECM and activate the coolant low level warnings through the in-cabin displays.

As E3steve says, the temperature sender for the gauge cannot be relied on.

regards
e3steve   
Thu Jul 06 2017, 06:26am
rosecut wrote ...

Duhhhh.
Checked coolant level, way down.
Topped up and took for a spin, no fan over-run.
Now worried about why I needed to add just over 1.5 litres to system.
Will monitor level, hope not to go down the same road as Leo......

The coolant output tank (thermostat housing, in real terms) is nestled within the top of the vee and immediately beneath what can only be described as the "throttle butterfly Y-piece".

Remove the V6 HDi plastic cover from the engine; locate the grey coolant temperature sensor which is inserted into the uppermost coolant hose, just inboard of the degassing tank (header tank). The diesel supply & return pipes are clipped into a [very brittle] plastic support that's attached, with a single screw, to the Y-piece.

You can just observe the 'stat housing under the Y, but you'll need a bright, pinspot light; look for any signs of moistness!

The part itself isn't expensive -- under a hundred quid -- and it comes pre-assembled and contains a new thermostat; and the job isn't really difficult, but you'll end up breaking off and, as a result, replacing many brittle plastic tubes & parts.

You'll really end up wanting to take a sledgehammer and/or a chainsaw to the whole car...

Take a look through this entire thread - Click Here -
rosecut   
Thu Jul 06 2017, 02:25pm
Thanks for all the input, am still monotoring level.Seems ok, I check it in the morning when car is cold.
One thing puzzles me, if the temp sensor was sat in hot air and not showing a high reading, what made the fans activate?
Is there another stat, maybe on the air/con?

Confused Rosecut.
e3steve   
Thu Jul 06 2017, 06:10pm
rosecut wrote ...
Is there another stat, maybe on the air/con?
Yes, there is; which is probably why the fans were running hard.
rosecut   
Wed Aug 02 2017, 06:57am
Update.
Coolant loss continued, slight but enough to be worrying.
Even after thorough checks I could not see any visible leakage.
Time to get the chainsaw out(see e3steves post)but took car to Citroen garage in Winchester instead.
Diagnosed as coolant output tank leaking(e3steve again)
Had good service from garage, they advised me not to drive the car, but were happy to let me have a courtesy vehicle until the C6 was ready.
On picking up the car they told me they had replaced other relative bits that could fail at a later date.
Not a cheap fix, mostly labour, a shade under £660.Ouch....

Thankyou for all your input on this,

Rosecut
e3steve   
Wed Aug 02 2017, 05:56pm
You had good service from Freeborn? My, how times must have changed...
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club