C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

2.2 just died

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Norman   
Wed Jun 28 2017, 04:17pm
Member No: #364
Hi all several times over the last week my 2.2 has failed to start on the turn of the key turning the ignition on and off has resulted in starting normally, But last night leaving the house we got 50 yards down the road when the car died turning the key off and on again gave me a display with the engine management light on and nothing more no turn indicators, windows would not come down but worked ok. When opening the doors, checking the centre display showed no errors the first time but when I tried it this morning nothing connecting the lexia showed lots of no communication between the various cpu's so called the breakdown service and took it down to citroen this morning, just rang them for a update and they tell me the battery was flat and it's now on charge. Now awaiting news..
Wantathreelitre   
Fri Jun 30 2017, 07:05am
Member No: #3179
Should this be in cars for sale???
Ciaran   
Sat Jul 01 2017, 05:41pm
Member No: #3087
You'd be very surprised at the array of weird and wonderful behaviour these cars can exhibit with a weakened or dead battery, you may get away with just charging / replacing it. A BSI reset would probably be in order too, if Citroen don't already think to do that.

Norman   
Sat Jul 01 2017, 07:51pm
Update! Heard back from Citroen the battery is definitely the culprit and a new one ordered which arrived Friday and guess what it is the wrong one! So the correct one should be here on Monday but I won't be we are having a week in France so will see what it's like when we get back. It seems strange that a battery would cause such a problem. And no it's not for Sale!!!!
Ciaran   
Sat Jul 01 2017, 09:02pm
Member No: #3087
It's quite feasible for unexplained glitchiness and particularly things like failure to start, dying suddenly, ancillaries like indicators not working, to be caused by a battery that isn't up to par.
The likes of the XM are very hard on their batteries, but the C6 and other cars of the modern CAN generation take it to a whole new level. There are a million and one computers, core functions controlled and modulated by software, plenty of scope for error and unexpected behaviour if battery supply isn't optimal.
On older cars things like the indicators were physical, a switch, a power source (battery), a circuit and an output device, such as a bulb at the other end.

With the C6 and cars of its ilk, these functions and devices are nearly all logical. When you operate the stalk, the various ECUs communicate, via the BSI, and a 'request' for indicator flash is sent through the relevant CAN networks, eventually, hopefully, resulting in the bulb flash.
You can see a lot of this terminology when browsing the various ECU functions in Lexia / Diagbox, things like 'Request for incicators', 'Request for horn' etc.

If the battery is not providing ample supply then plenty can go wrong with this convoluted process and its quite common for things to just stop working altogether, as you saw with all your 'failure to communicate' with the BSI, nevermind physical operations such as turning the starter motor.

To be fair, these issues are by no means unique to the C6, any modern car is likely to suffer similar issues if the battery isn't 100%.
e3steve   
Sun Jul 02 2017, 09:35am
Member No: #1163
Ciaran wrote ...

It's quite feasible for unexplained glitchiness and particularly things like failure to start, dying suddenly, ancillaries like indicators not working, to be caused by a battery that isn't up to par.
The likes of the XM are very hard on their batteries, but the C6 and other cars of the modern CAN generation take it to a whole new level. There are a million and one computers, core functions controlled and modulated by software, plenty of scope for error and unexpected behaviour if battery supply isn't optimal.
On older cars things like the indicators were physical, a switch, a power source (battery), a circuit and an output device, such as a bulb at the other end.

With the C6 and cars of its ilk, these functions and devices are nearly all logical. When you operate the stalk, the various ECUs communicate, via the BSI, and a 'request' for indicator flash is sent through the relevant CAN networks, eventually, hopefully, resulting in the bulb flash.
You can see a lot of this terminology when browsing the various ECU functions in Lexia / Diagbox, things like 'Request for incicators', 'Request for horn' etc.

If the battery is not providing ample supply then plenty can go wrong with this convoluted process and its quite common for things to just stop working altogether, as you saw with all your 'failure to communicate' with the BSI, nevermind physical operations such as turning the starter motor.

To be fair, these issues are by no means unique to the C6, any modern car is likely to suffer similar issues if the battery isn't 100%.

CANbus can really get its panties in the crack when voltage is low and, as a direct result, the availability of current becomes restricted. It will throw all sorts of curveball-antics and lead you to believe that your CANbus car is on its last legs!

Never, ever skimp on battery capacity when replacing same. Citroën dealer menu pricing is currently, IIRC, just £110 for the correct 95Ah / 850CCA beast, so there's no excuse...

Alternatively, online sellers stock the Varta H3 Silver 100Ah/830CCA -- type 019 -- which comes with a 5-year RTB warranty. Mine still has two-and-a-bit years on that score.
jamescarruthers   
Mon Jul 10 2017, 02:28pm
Member No: #1548
Is that the same for the V6 petrol? I'd like to check mine as the garage changed it jut before I bought it. Everything else they did was wrong!
Hattershaun   
Mon Jul 10 2017, 09:08pm
Member No: #320
jamescarruthers wrote ...

Is that the same for the V6 petrol? I'd like to check mine as the garage changed it jut before I bought it. Everything else they did was wrong!

Yes, the battery is the same for all versions of C6.
Norman   
Tue Jul 11 2017, 08:22pm
Picked up the car today with the correct battery fitted a 950 Ah at £135 + fitting and diagnosis totalling £240. Apparently the battery which was replaced in 2009 was the wrong one being of a smaller capacity but has done sterling service
Further update two days later after parking up the car refused to start again it just kept trying but nothing so it was not the battery!! But Citroen said when it was recharged it failed it checks?
So tomorrow it's going back to Citroen for further tests so I may not be able to make the rally this weekend if it's not ready
Norman   
Sun Jul 23 2017, 06:39am
Further update Citroen have still got the car, I spoke to someone at B&L who said they had nad a similar model in with the same fault and that cleaning up the door connectors had cured the problem unfortunately in my case it didn't work I wonder if anyone has any suggestions? The other two faults it has and has had for some months are the rear nearside door won't open from the inside door pull but works fine externally and the parking sensors keep turning themselves off, does anyone know what the circuit through the door connectors is for? And could it be a ignition switch problem as happens on the Xm's. Any suggestions would be welcome.
Cisco   
Sun Jul 23 2017, 01:55pm
Member No: #1429
Hi Norman,

Check your battery positive connection carefully in case it has split. I had an intermittent electrical fault which manifested itself in a number of ways and took me a while to trace to this spit clamp. Note that the car always started despite this.

I have attached a couple of pics. You have the same clamp/fuse box on your 2.2hdi. It is not possible to see this crack unless you remove the fuse box and and look inside the clamp as the red plastic surround, which ironically is supposed to prevent over tightening, hides it.

With this crack it is possible to seemingly tighten the clamp however if you put a flat screwdriver under the clamp and give it a slight twist the clamp will pop off the battery post, so easy to check!!

Such a fault could also cause your intermittent park sensor issue.

Your problem with the internal door pull is a red herring with respect to your electrical issue. The internal door pull is a straight mechanical cable connection to the door latch.

Good luck with it.

Frank

MarkBevan   
Sun Jul 23 2017, 03:08pm
Member No: #3172
Cisco / Frank

There appears to be a broken battery clamp/fuse box, obscuring that photo of your Caterham Superlight R (you lucky man)
Norman   
Mon Jul 24 2017, 08:39pm
Further Update went to see how the car is performing to be told when they came to look at it last week it started first time!!! The technician has checked everything over several times but has been unable to find the fault to date so it looks like a test drive is on the books so will keep you updated.
Norman   
Sun Jul 30 2017, 10:17pm
Further update spoke to to Citroen Friday night the technician has gone over it again and not found anything, all the door connections checked as suggested so the service advisor took it home without any problem so I picked it up Saturday and it has worked ok up to date so fingers crossed.
Norman   
Mon Feb 12 2018, 11:13pm
Just had the front disks and pads replaced for a reasonable £246. Nice to have full brakes again but now going out tonight the engine management light came on and it went into limp mode carried on for a bit and the power came back for a short while then later on the way back in the outside lane the engine just stopped !! Restarted the engine and drove off with full power only for it to go into limp mode for the rest of the journey home. Back to citroen tomorrow to let them run diagnostics the wife says it's funny it always goes funny after a trip to the main dealer. Update to follow
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club