C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Introduce yourself

Greetings from Preston (part 3)

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Trainman   
Sat Apr 04 2015, 01:02pm

Member No: #86
Well, it's been a while...... again.....

The Peugeot has gone and been replaced with a DS3 DSport+ Blue mostly because I couldn't get a couple of issues out of my head with it and because SWMBO was struggling with the weight of the doors due to a medical condition. I have to say I'm extremely pleased with this little gem, I'm averaging 62mpg overall which is extremely pleasing to the pocket.

I've recently changed the wheels for some second hand 'Atlantique' I acquired from young Robert at BL Auto's

and I finally got round to changing the Daytime Running Lights (DRL's) the other day, it's a simple enough job to do and makes a hell of a difference.... this is with the OffSide Front done and shows the difference

and then this one shows both of them having been replaced

I also got round to putting the CCC badge back on after it's winter hibernation ready for the rally season, which of course is on the horizon......... I need to find somebody in Preston can do a proper job of detailing the car including the cream leather, it seems there aren't to many detailing people in Preston so I'm struggling a little bit........ but I will persevere
verycleverman   
Sat Apr 04 2015, 11:00pm
Member No: #65
What happened to your pal at GSF in Trafford Park?

Pete
Trainman   
Sun Apr 05 2015, 09:35am

Pete,

He left GSF and went to work at Andrew Page, but became disheartened with them and is now working somewhere else........ I'm not sure where.

I've had another mate in Sheffield step forward with an offer to detail the car, but it's a bit of a way out, but I think I may have found somebody quite local, so I'll give them a call on Tuesday, the inside is filthy, once that's done, I'll worry about the outside.....
Norman   
Sun Apr 05 2015, 10:35am
Member No: #364
Would that have been Vince by any chance

Norman
Trainman   
Sun Apr 05 2015, 11:12am

It was Norman
Trainman   
Mon May 11 2015, 07:33pm

After replacing the DRL's last month, I've now changed the sidelights to LED's and have the LED's ready to change in the marker lights.

I recently decided to get the C6 detailed, I used a guy that used to work at a local supercar dealer, the results 'grand' I love the stripes in the carpet.....

He even got the leather clean....

I've also got a squealing coming from the front brakes, which I think is down to the shims missing, Mr H has a set of shims, from the 2.2 when he replaced the pads, which, incidently are the same as the 2.7, failing that he has a spare set of OEM pads, so I can do these at the Northern........
Trainman   
Fri Jun 05 2015, 07:18pm

Well after tolerating the squeal from the brakes for long enough, I finally got round to changing the pads at the rear, as you can see they were beginning to come apart.

I then tackled the other side which were even worse

They actually have come apart, I've noticed a bump stop has gone too....... That's now on order at the princely sum of £38 hock:

C6Dave   
Sat Jun 06 2015, 02:44pm

Member No: #1
Check the calipers as well Steve, by the colour of those pads they have been sticking and overheating
Website
Trainman   
Sat Jun 06 2015, 02:49pm

The OSR was sticking a little, but I've managed to free it up, hopefully that should sort it.
Trainman   
Fri Feb 19 2016, 07:02pm

I was just sitting here thinking It's been ages since I updated my blog, Didn't think it had been this long though.

I've got some work to do on her now the weather is hopefully changing The heater has started to only blow hot air on the passenger side, told SWMBO that it was fine she wasn't in the car Her response, as you might imagine was

I've got an intermittant sticking NSF caliper, need to replace a damaged bump stop on the OSR, I've noticed the driver door handle sticking when it's opened on a couple of occasions, I want to change the gearbox oil and she needs a service......

Trainman   
Sat Jul 16 2016, 03:11pm

It's been a hell of a long time since I've updated this, for one reason or another. Back in September last year I suffered my second rear end shunt in the C6, This time, hit by an uninsured driver :grr: Thankfully the damage wasn't to bad. We were sat at traffic lights and the driver behind, took his foot off the clutch with the car in gear. After Speaking to the Insurance company and getting a quote for £2,000 to replace the back bumper hock: I decided to leave it as it wasn't to bad.

Around Christmas time, I heard of a C6 being broken at BL Auto's and was told it was Mauritius Blue, I was straight on the phone to Robert, and managed to secure the rear bumper. For a price significantly lower the the quote from the insurance....... A trip down to BL Autos was then planned for before the Northern in May and I spent a couple of days down there having the front suspension bushes replaced along with the NSR door I had replaced quite some time ago, but never been happy with.

Just Prior to the Northern this year, she was treated to a service, and the gearbox oil change (3 times) this makes one hell of a difference and the gear change is silky smooth I also took the opportunity to have the C6 remapped which I have to say has made a vast improvement, not just in power (208 bhp to 250bhp) but also in economy hock: my average mpg used to be 32.9 and I now get 39.2 and on a run with the cruise set at 70mph I can easily get 50mpg. The last thing I've had done is the wheel powder coated.

I still need to get the timing belt done, but that's a dealer job (Fixed price item) and the paintwork sorted.

Trainman   
Wed Jun 28 2017, 12:32pm

I can't believe its been 12 months since I updated this thread

Anyway, There's been a few things happen, Firstly the wheels had to go back to the powder coater's after they started to crack, apparently they put the wrong lacquer on them. Those will be back on the car tomorrow.

I went to the Citroen Car Club Northern Rally back in May, on the way there, I noticed that the street signs were showing a strange pink colour, then came the blinking headlamp icon on the dashboard, yep, bulb gone.....

Now, never having tackled this before, but, having heard the stories of people removing the front bumper, it wasn't a task I was looking forward to.... first job, get the bulbs (yes, bulb's....... I decided that rather than replace just the pink one, I'd replace both.....).

The next thing was to track down somebody with the bulbs, the usual suspects of motor factors returned prices of anywhere between £60 and £90 each A trawl though eBay found me a pair of Osram bulbs for £35 RESULT!!

Next came the job itself, which, once you get started isn't as fearful as you might think. Once you get the bumper off, removing the headlight is a doddle.

Just after rebuilding the car, I saw a post on one of the facebook pages, about a couple who were getting married and the booked car had broken down and wouldn't be repaired in time for the wedding, so I offered the C6 and was taken up on the offer.

Here's a couple of pictures from the day

Now I have another problem with the dashboard, it intermittantly fails, I can go out and start the car it will work, the next couple of days it's blank.......... I've still got the Heads Up Display, just a total blank dashboard..... I remember when I used to have money
cruiserphil   
Wed Jun 28 2017, 03:27pm

Member No: #38
Thanks Steve,

Yes, removal of the bumper is not such a great movie!

Best regards,

Phil C.
Norman   
Wed Jun 28 2017, 03:57pm
Member No: #364
Hi Steve see my thread on the dashboard repair, I drove down to the repairer who took about two hours to repair it. Fitted it and it's only not come on once and it's been fine since.
Only about £175
Trainman   
Tue Oct 31 2017, 12:40pm

Well, I never thought I would say this but the C6 is off to pastures new

I've decided that rather than spend the best part of £2,000 on her, it's best to let her go to a new home, and yes I do mean a new home, she's off on her farewell tour from Preston to the Southwest in the early hours of Thursday morning.

I've been pondering for a while what to do with her, and found an enthusiast who was looking for a project, the agreement is mutual and he knows her history.

So from Thursday, I'll be C6 less......
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club