Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Sphere with damage at the fitting lip - are these ok?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
ul9601   
Sat Jun 24 2017, 05:31am
Member No: #1975
I bit the bullet and ordered a shipset of spheres from IFHS, which arrived fairly quickly (it spent almost as much time at the customs as it did crossing halfway around the world).
I booked the car in for the job and was going through each sphere to make sure all is well. Unfortunately almost all of them have some sort of defect.
I'm not sure if they would affect the fitment (and long term durability).
I'd appreciate the opinion of more learned members in the forum.
One has actually a part of the lip deformed (the plastic protective cap cut through similar to the later photo)
Four have one or more nicks on the lip (but no deformation)
Three have a bit of deformation on the seal.
What are your thoughts?
Cheers
Sam

gmerry   
Sat Jun 24 2017, 06:43am
Member No: #21
Hi Sam, if you were not so far from the supplier, you would have a case for returning the "damaged" goods.

However, giving the time and cost involved in their replacement, you need to make a detailed examination of:-

1/ the threads (use a magnifying glass)

2/ The sealing face for the rubber seal.

None of the dents and nicks in the photos that you have shown, involve the two areas above.

Note, best to fit the seals into their grooves before fitting the new spheres. You can buy a replacement sphere seal from EuroCareCare (if needed)

- Click Here -

regards

Good luck with the Test at Eden Park!
ul9601   
Sat Jun 24 2017, 07:13am
Thanks G.
Does anything fit into the bore of the sphere at all? If not, I can risk it and ask for partial refund.
I think the defects weren't caused during the transit as only two of the protective caps were damaged and only one of them has a defect (which is the deformed lip).
Cheers
Sam

PS As for the rugby, ABs are too dominant, not good for the world rugby. There were times I'd stay up all night to catch ABs play Springboks but not any more - parity makes top level sports fun.
cruiserphil   
Sun Jun 25 2017, 03:15pm

Member No: #38
Sam,

As per G, once the threads are fine and the sealing face is good there is no concern with the lip damage. As you say, unfortunate in transit - but not a show stopper. As for the seals I would fit them and if you get a bit of leakage, you can replace them. Keep the questionable seals for the easy to access spheres!!!

Unfortunately I'm not qualified to comment on rugby. When G mentioned a test I thought it was for your car!

Best regards,

Phil C.
ul9601   
Sun Jun 25 2017, 06:47pm
cruiserphil wrote ...

Sam,

As per G, once the threads are fine and the sealing face is good there is no concern with the lip damage. As you say, unfortunate in transit - but not a show stopper. As for the seals I would fit them and if you get a bit of leakage, you can replace them. Keep the questionable seals for the easy to access spheres!!!

Unfortunately I'm not qualified to comment on rugby. When G mentioned a test I thought it was for your car!

Best regards,

Phil C.

I reckon the deformation on the lip might have happened during transit but the nicks must have been at the factory, as the protective caps on them are fine.
As for the seals, I'm positive they were damaged in transit (or storage) as they were pinched between the protective cap and the sphere (the threaded part sits facing down) - it's unfortunate but could have been easily avoided in my opinion...
I'm definitely replacing the affected seals, as it's not worth the labour cost to do the jobs again. Downside is the OEM seal seems around 5 times the price of the IFHS ones (which would mean around 10 times here - we get seriously ripped off here in NZ).
Thanks guys.
ul9601   
Sun Jun 25 2017, 08:33pm
GBP12 for sphere seal. Ouch. At least they have it in stock.
ul9601   
Tue Jul 11 2017, 04:59am
UPDATE: The Sphere Shop gave me the full refund, which I thought was a bit over the top given that only some of them had defects and only the one with the deformed lip concerns me.
I'll discuss the "fair" reimbursement amount with them.
ul9601   
Thu Jul 13 2017, 09:23pm
Update:
I had a number of correspondences with them since, they apologised to me profusely for 1) the defective products and 2) my emails being sent to their junk email folder and not getting back to me for a couple of weeks. I came up with a partial reimbursement proposal (full refund on the sphere with the deformed lip and seals and partial refund on the other damage) and put to them but they pretty much told me just keep it.
In short, I really can't fault their customer services (minus their junk mail folder management) but just watch out for any defects although their product reputation has been good from what I've heard.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club