Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Faulty Sensor

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
keithc   
Fri Jun 16 2017, 10:44am
Member No: #2584
So driving home yesterday about 2 miles from home I had a red service light flash up in front of me and on the screen in the centre a "engine sensor faulty" or something like that as it didn't stay up long before it and the red service light went out.

I went to the onboard screen and the temperature gauge to the left was fluctuating from normal position (usually bottom of the two dots) to about half way to minimum.

This morning the temperature gauge went up to the pic below and never moved once it got to that height. ie it stayed there, not fluctuating etc.

Is that the coolant temp and if so where is the sensor located? Prob best to try changing it first?

321dave   
Fri Jun 16 2017, 02:17pm
Member No: #614
keithc wrote ...

So driving home yesterday about 2 miles from home I had a red service light flash up in front of me and on the screen in the centre a "engine sensor faulty" or something like that as it didn't stay up long before it and the red service light went out.

I went to the onboard screen and the temperature gauge to the left was fluctuating from normal position (usually bottom of the two dots) to about half way to minimum.

This morning the temperature gauge went up to the pic below and never moved once it got to that height. ie it stayed there, not fluctuating etc.

Is that the coolant temp and if so where is the sensor located? Prob best to try changing it first?

Hi Keith,
It appears your correct, it is most likely a faulty sensor as it's going down, but Lexia will give more information on the fault or if indeed it's another fault. It's the grey sensor coming from a coolant pipe at the top of the engine (drivers side) just under the engine cover. You can plug it out and check the screen again and as a sign it's the correct sensor, the double radiator fans should fire up in response, I believe that correct. Good also to check the fans while your at it. The pipe and sensor I think are the one item, but not totally sure. Hope that helps a bit Keith.

Dave
cruiserphil   
Fri Jun 16 2017, 06:38pm

Member No: #38
Keith,

Just to add to 321Dave's guidance, check the condition of the plug contacts, clean and refit and see how it goes before you change the sensor.

Best regards,

Phil C.
keithc   
Sat Jun 17 2017, 10:01pm
Member No: #2584
After I came back from town this morning I gave the car a full service (oil, oil/air/fuel filters) and had a look for the sensor. All I did was disconnect it, plug it back in and give it a good old scientific wiggle. And a quick test drive after the service showed the sensor working perfect again

And also I did a 261 km trip this afternoon and it was fine throughout! I'd forgotten how good the scientific wiggle could be as it was rather handy on a Laguna I had too

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club