C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Car Care and Maintenance Tips

Battery spec

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
PercyPorcelain   
Wed Jun 07 2017, 09:15pm
Member No: #2027
What is the official battery spec for our cars? Just received a new Lucas (L100, I think it was) and while it turns the engine well enough, it's somewhat shorter than the (probably original) Citroen battery and needed to be secured forwards for sharp braking, also is rated 640ma instead of the 950ma one I took out...
321dave   
Thu Jun 08 2017, 07:04am
Member No: #614
Good morning Percy,
I think you observed the situation perfectly, the replacement battery you have is not the right size needed to sustain the C6. It needs the biggest strongest battery you can fit really. Because the C6 has a lot of small electric motors and a good example is the C6 windows going up and down repeatedly all day long, a small battery would be drained fairly quickly even a good one. Also how is your alternator performing? That's the other part of the act! It's a good idea to see if it's performing well and giving a correct charge back to the battery.

Dave
e3steve   
Thu Jun 08 2017, 07:29am
Member No: #1163
PercyPorcelain wrote ...

What is the official battery spec for our cars? Just received a new Lucas (L100, I think it was) and while it turns the engine well enough, it's somewhat shorter than the (probably original) Citroen battery and needed to be secured forwards for sharp braking, also is rated 640ma instead of the 950ma one I took out...
Oh dear, Percy; you've been 'done'!

95Ah / 800CCA minimum.

Varta 'Silver' H3: 100Ah / 830CCA. Barden UK, with 5-yr warranty...
gmerry   
Thu Jun 08 2017, 08:44am
Member No: #21
Hi Percy, you have fallen victim to incorrect information held by most of the battery suppliers: we discovered this and documented the same back in 2012 if you check out forum posts.

The correct battery will just fit into the space allocated.

The only exception to this is if you elected to go for an AGM battery: then you would be on your own in terms of specification but in theory, this would give you a better battery, better able to withstand significant levels of discharge but at a much higher price. (approximately 2.5 times more expensive!!!!!)

For a long life with a car that is not used a lot, I would go for an Odyssey brand of AGM (very low self discharge, excellent starting, and can happily be discharged down to say 70% of capacity without massively impacting cycle life)

regards
Tjensen   
Fri Jun 09 2017, 11:37am
Member No: #954
Too low CCA should be avoided, slow starting revs will wear on the starter bearings, and they are a weak point, at least in the 2,7. 800CCA or more is right. The 950 CCA in the original is a very high value, not easy to get. The "original spare part" is priced relatively low and is the right one.
robingc33   
Fri Jun 09 2017, 08:14pm
Member No: #2303
I recently replaced mine with a Silver Varta Type 019 H3 100Ah 830CCA from "batterymegauk" on ebay (currently £108.50 with free delivery). It turned up overnight, well packed and I'm very pleased with it. It's a perfect fit and has bought new life into the car, starting in particular
gmerry   
Fri Jun 09 2017, 10:29pm
Member No: #21
Here's the first post on the battery replacement subject. I ordered the wrong battery back in 2012. It went in to the C4 and got the proper one. - Click Here -
PercyPorcelain   
Wed Jun 21 2017, 07:37pm
Thanks all... remember my car is only a 2.2 (C-Crosser engine) so perhaps I'll be alright with the lower ampage. It was only 53 quid and is a Lucas... ask me again in 12 months (assuming I get through the winter!)
Hattershaun   
Wed Jun 21 2017, 09:01pm
Member No: #320
Citroen specified the same battery for all C6 and all engines according to their parts website 'Citroen Service'.
L5 - 950A and 95Ah.

Most main dealers in the UK have a fixed price offer to supply & fit a battery, my local dealer's cost is £110, which I think is good value as you have to dismantle most of the internal boot trim to fit a battery.

Remember, every time a C6 door is unlocked with the remote control, the suspension motor runs to self level the car and all the ECUs wake up. Open a door, the window glass drops a bit, then goes back up when the door is closed.
When I bought my car at 3 years old, the first thing I did was fit a new battery, for my peace of mind, as the previous owner had used the car infrequently and for short trips in town.

PercyPorcelain   
Sat Jul 15 2017, 02:33pm
Correct, everyone, the 640Ah battery was a disaster and is now going back. Ended up immobilised after a week or two. Pretty shocking that ebay allows vendors to blatantly misdescribe car batteries like this ("All C6 diesels from 2005"). Anyway the good news is I got a 100Ah type 019 with a 4-year warranty for under £70 which fits perfectly (though ironically, it was not specified for C6)

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club