C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Windscreen replacement - any tips ?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
CitroenCrazy   
Tue May 30 2017, 08:38am
Member No: #443
My windscreen is cracked and needs to be replaced.
It's covered by insurance, but only if I use Autoglass.

Just wondered if anyone has any particular tips or experiences to share.

I had a bad experience years ago with a Xantia, when the plastic scuttle panel wasn't re-sealed properly and the footwell promptly filled with water the next time it rained. I hope the C6 doesn't have an equivalent failure mode.
TIA
Andrew
CitroenCrazy   
Tue May 30 2017, 09:10am
PS - Looking around this and other forums, several people have commented that the only source of supply for windscreens is Citroen, which is reassuring, if accurate. According to Citroen Service, the windscreen is supplied with new seals.

I'm just wondering if there's any evidence to the contrary and there are non-Citroen windscreens out there. It would be a surprise to me if the original manufacturer didn't also supply the aftermarket direct.

Scenario I want to avoid is new glass + old seals
321dave   
Tue May 30 2017, 11:15am
Member No: #614
My original windscreen isn't in great shape idir, very pitted from flying stones. Got hit just last week! Was also considering a replacement or at least getting ready. I was wondering what the insurance companies would fit? Thanks for the information.
Dan595   
Tue May 30 2017, 02:28pm
Member No: #299
There are probably people who know more about this than I do, but...

LHD screens are different to RHD ones (well, the masking is).
Very early RHD cars had LHD screens.
I think HUD requires a different screen to non-HUD.
Make sure that they fit the right one!

I would have thought it unlikely there would be any aftermarket glass around for C6, but I have noted that the n/s/r window on my car - although it is Saint-Gobain glass like the others - has no chevrons on (replaced after break-in).

Windscreen on my car is 'Sungate' rather than 'Saint-Gobain'.
cruiserphil   
Tue May 30 2017, 07:26pm

Member No: #38
Lads,

Have a look at this thread - Click Here -

Best regards,

Phil C.
CitroenCrazy   
Thu Jun 15 2017, 08:17am
Just to resurrect this slightly aging thread; it's taken until today to get the windscreen replaced.

I originally asked for a genuine Citroen part, and was told the insurance company would have to accept the charge, which of course they didn't. I was then offered the opportunity to pay a supplement to "upgrade"; which turned out to be almost £500, in addition to the glass excess of £75, which wasn't too attractive.

It was therefore a big bonus when the nice chap turned up with a Citroen-branded piece of glass this morning.

It does reinforce what's been said elsewhere, that there doesn't seem to be an aftermarket supply for C6s these days.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club