C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Suspension fluid top up without a Lexia

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
C6 DEN   
Sun May 21 2017, 09:28pm
Member No: #2200
I have a drip on my C6...It is coming from (near to!) below where the black rectangular hydraulic reservoir is situated.
Is there a generic problem with this reservoir?...so...can I top the fluid up to the bottom of the reservoir "Cup"with the car switched off
Thanks Folks Dennis.!
321dave   
Sun May 21 2017, 09:45pm
Member No: #614
C6 DEN wrote ...

I have a drip on my C6...It is coming from (near to!) below where the black rectangular hydraulic reservoir is situated.
Is there a generic problem with this reservoir?...so...can I top the fluid up to the bottom of the reservoir "Cup"with the car switched off
Thanks Folks Dennis.!

Hi Dennis,
Maybe the jubilee clip on the pipe connecting to the bottom of your LDS tank has come a bit lose! Worth a check if you have 20 spare minutes to remove the front tyre on the side of the LDS tank and remove the plastic section of the innear wheel arch liner below. Then can see if it's coming from that connection point. It can be a problem area for leaks.
gmerry   
Mon May 22 2017, 08:09am
Member No: #21
If you need to top up the LDS, and don't have access to Lexia (the proper top up procedure requires the suspension to be depressurised via Lexia), then at least put the suspension in its lowest setiing. Wait a few minutes, then with the aid of a very bright torch, cautiously add fluid so that you can see the level make contact with the underside of the basket (but not submerging the base of the basket)

Thanks to E3steve for suggesting this, and also pointing out that this results in the level actually being a bit too high, such that when you next depressurise, it will likely spill out of the top.

regards
C6 DEN   
Sat May 27 2017, 10:15am
As a matter of interest...Does the C6 have a different LDS fluid for the power steering to the suspension?
- Click Here -
Tjensen   
Sat May 27 2017, 10:33am
Member No: #954
NO, this is the right one and VERY cheap compared to Citroen price, (But brake fluid is just ordinary brake fluid)
C6 DEN   
Sat May 27 2017, 01:43pm
I have just heard from the mechanic who is looking at my car... he says
...It looks to be one of the tiny pipes going along the front or the car...it has corroded behind the clip!
I wonder if this could be pipe No 2 in the front suspension diagram...
5270 VL HYDRAULIC TUBE RIGHT
C6 Front Suspension Supply Pipe parts pdf

gmerry   
Sat May 27 2017, 06:41pm
quote "As a matter of interest...Does the C6 have a different LDS fluid for the power steering to the suspension?" unquote

The black tank behind the RHS headlight is the reservoir for the LDS fluid. It supplies the electric motor driven suspension pump and the engine driven (mechanical) power steering pump.

regards
gmerry   
Sat May 27 2017, 06:45pm
Strictly speaking, there are no tiny pipes going along the front of the car: the power steering return pipes and cooler are around 5/8" OD and these run along the front. The very small suspension pipes run down to the front stiffness regulator and these are along the side(ish) of the engine bay.

What is your mechanic proposing to replace?
C6 DEN   
Sun May 28 2017, 12:03am
1st of all thank you for your help & interest!
I haven't seen what he's on about yet....but there is a drip near/ underneath the reservoir...he says it is leaking from behind a "Clip!"....to be honest I am beginning to suspect the return pipes.
and he isn't replacing anything because he doesn't know about citroens.... I will probably end up with a project myself!!
I don't know if this is the pipe....probably isn't..probably the power steering return pipe ...as you said!
CITROEN C6 FRONT HYDRAULIC SUSPENSION RETURN PIPE
- Click Here -

e3steve   
Sun May 28 2017, 05:00pm
Member No: #1163
C6 DEN wrote ...

1st of all thank you for your help & interest!
I haven't seen what he's on about yet....but there is a drip near/ underneath the reservoir...he says it is leaking from behind a "Clip!"....to be honest I am beginning to suspect the return pipes.
and he isn't replacing anything because he doesn't know about citroens.... I will probably end up with a project myself!!
Remove the front portion of the r/h/s front wing liner: suspension on highest setting, a couple of plastic button clips and 7 or 8 T30 screws.

You'll probably find that your LDS leak is the low-pressure supply pipe's clip. This pipe is on a spigot, straight off the bottom of the LDS reservoir. Cut off the clip with a good, strong pair of wire snips and replace it with a stainless steel 16mm wormdrive hose clip...

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club