Well hello from me :-)

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
MGmike   
Sun May 21 2017, 06:47am
Member No: #3151
I've finally done it!
Been trying to convince myself I need a C6 (but don't really). So now I've accepted I don't need one but I want one anyway!
Well, I've just added a 07 Exclusive with lounge pack to my ever increasing fleet of Citroen's and MGB's.
If you missed out on the one with the knackered gearbox last night, I'm sorry

However, having bought the C6 it does present me will a little problem..... what to do with the two C5 Exclusives I currently own!!
Anyone interested in a nice 07 2.2 with 80k at a reasonable price, get in touch.

As for the C6, I'll be back for help when I get started on it's repair and recommissioning but for now...... do I get the gearbox reconditioned or just have a go at changing the valve block?

cheers
gmerry   
Sun May 21 2017, 07:49am
Member No: #21
Welcome, and another Scottish owner too!

I'm in Aberdeen, there's a couple in the Borders, several across in the West and there was some around the Falkirk area. So hopefully localish help if you need it.

Regarding your box, what you need to do depends on the symptoms. If it was a case of bad shifts, missing gears, slippage etc, then you might get away with just changing out the electro/hydraulic valve block (in-situ). If the problems had been going on for a long time, there might have been some damage to the clutches etc.

I would start my draining the fluid and having a look. Unless it is full of metallic debris (from disintegrating clutches, bearings or gearteeth), I would say its worth a punt on just changing the E-H valve block and see how you get on after that.

regards

PS, read the forum: there was a posting giving a direct supplier for a new EH valve block, very reasonable cost, without having to go through a dealer
Doctorbaz   
Tue May 23 2017, 05:57am
Member No: #3086
Hi MGMike! Welcome to the wonderful world of C6, from another new C6 owner in Scotland! I'm just west of Glasgow and loving getting to know the car.

2006 2.7 Exclusive black/cream/lounge
gmerry   
Tue May 23 2017, 08:34am
Member No: #21
Hi again, regarding the EH valve block, EuroCarCare in Derby have them for a very reasonable price: if you join up as a premier member of this forum, you should get a further discount. - Click Here -
vaho   
Tue May 23 2017, 10:34am
Member No: #2228
Or One Stop Gearbox Shop. Even cheaper + free UK delivery: - Click Here -
MGmike   
Tue May 23 2017, 11:26am
thanks to all for the warm welcome and pointers.
I'd already found One Stop on the bay of E but that link saves another few quid..

I think the plan will be to pick up a low mileage secondhand box just in case the one I have is terminal! I'll probably try swapping the valve block first but have the whole box as a fallback.

cheers
Doctorbaz   
Thu May 25 2017, 05:07am
Member No: #3086
Is your C6 the one that was for sale in Aberdeen by any chance? I was going to go and look at that one!
MGmike   
Thu May 25 2017, 07:09pm
Hi Doc,
No not that one. I'm too much of a cheapskate too spend that much and I like a challenge!
This is mine...
- Click Here -

I'll probably end up spending about the same in the long run but hey ho, I'll have a bit of fun on the way! Also, I like to buy my cars in the south of the UK as they are less likely to have much road salt damage. Well so the theory goes .

I've already picked up a new rear light unit for £60 and a 47k mile gearbox out of an 07 407 (£200) and the work starts over the weekend. Hopefully just a Electro Valve unit, some fresh ATF and away we go (famous last words!).

MGmike   
Sun May 28 2017, 05:53am
Hmm, it appears I may have bitten off more than I have time for!
This is definitely a case where the advice about not buying blind should have been heeded! I mean, just how bad can a C6 be after only 112K miles
If you are wondering, the answer is very I hope the PO isn't reading this....

I've spent yesterday assessing the work required to get a usable car and I'm not sure if I should enjoy the ride or cut my losses. I need some collective encouragement

I suppose I should be grateful the dashboard lights up like a Christmas tree which means it’s still working
I'll give a brief update here but I might start a separate "restoration thread" to catalogue the work as it progresses (slowly).
so... Having spent a few hours assessing my purchase this is where I'm at:-
1, Changed gearbox valve block and filled with 3lts of ATF, didn't fix it. Still slips in reverse, okay in first, second and third, drops out of fourth, no fifth and sixth is just a pipe dream at the moment! Looks like the gearbox will be coming out for replacement.
2, The "cracked rear light" turns out to be broken because of a rear end shunt! Bumper will need to be removed to assess and repair damage to the supporting metalwork and a dent in the rear wing.
3 the interior has not worn well and is very grubby. I'm hoping this will just need a deep clean! But there are a few trim bits and mats to replace. It seems Cream really isn't the colour to go for.
3, Handbrake faulty but seems to work okay!
4, Obviously after a long (year to eighteen months) lay up the brakes will need overhauling.
5, For some reason the car has been used (extensively) with the front OS wheel arch liner removed! All the stuff under their needs cleaning and checking.
6, Wheels need a refurb, (anyone got a usable set with MOT standard tyres going cheap?)
7, FAP additive low so I guess that needs further investigation
8, Water was low, taking at least 3ltrs!
9, There was a "knock" from somewhere on the short drive I did manage. Guess there’s a bush away somewhere.
10, Both bumpers have significant scratches which will need sorting later! With parking sensors, this should be impossible (unless done by others I suppose but doesn’t look like it).

oh and the service counter say -15000 mls! I guess the PO ran it in to the ground before parking it up

So there you have it, one very sick C6 which may turn out to be terminal.

Trainman   
Sun May 28 2017, 06:28pm

Member No: #86
I believe that Robert at BL Auto's in Welwyn Garden City could be breaking a Mauriaus Blue and Cream C6......... It's only a rumour but it wouldn't hurt to touch base with him as he sometimes does break them......

contact details: - Click Here -
MGmike   
Thu Jun 29 2017, 05:59pm
Not sure if I should start a new thread for the restoration of the Starship CP07 or just follow Trainman's approach. Let me know what you think?

Anyway a quick update:
After a couple of false starts I managed to get a day in the garage to move the work on. I must say, I was struggling to see how I would get the gearbox out as there's not a lot of room in there. Anyway, after a call to Robert @ B.L Autos about some seats (thanks for the heads-up Trainman) and a little brain picking during the conversation (thanks Robert, I be in touch after I get the box sorted ), I jumped in and removed the front end and the engine/box as a lump. Robert gave me a little false hope that I could get it out and back in in one day by telling me he takes a couple of hours to whip it out (I guess practice helps )

As it stands the lump is on the floor and the list of jobs to do is ever increasing!
Adding to the list above I now have this little lot...

1, Might as well change the timing belts and water pump while their accessible.
2, Broke the end of the small pipe from the expansion tank to the top of the radiator
3, Front engine mount isn’t holding anything anymore (pic to follow) and isn't the cheapest of parts!
4, There’s an oil leak somewhere on the non-drive end of the engine that’ll need finding and sorting
5, The engine bay will need degreasing
6, Might as well change the heater pipe that’s showing signs of corrosion (but not yet terminal)
7, I found what I think is the cause of the suspension knock! The near side bottom hub support isn’t! Looking at pictures of a new one suggests there should be a bearing in there but I couldn’t find any ball/rollers
8, One of the mounting points on the O/S headlamp has broken off. The price of a replacement is scary so this will get some form of repair to reuse.
9, Have found out why the A/c isn't working, No gas! Guess I need to track down a leak somewhere.
10, Brakes defo need work as the front pads have about 1mm left!
11, Plugged Lexia in and one of the rear ABS sensors is U/S

That's it so far…… But a question to all… should I be doing any other “preventative” measures whilst the engine is out? I’m thinking about EGR valves maybe?

The bad news is I won’t get back in the garage for another month to make a start crossing things off the list It also looks like the final "price paid" will be more than the car will be valued at when finished (well, I'm used to that with MG's )

321dave   
Thu Jun 29 2017, 10:24pm
Member No: #614
Hi Mike,
I'm a bit ahead of you in the restoration process, but the one area that definitely needs attention on the 2.7hdi is the coolant circuit/pipes. Now, that includes everything literally on the circuit. Ever single bit in my opinion and I'm guessing everyone else will be along soon to say the same thing.

Coolant outlet and inlet housings attached to the engine block need changing.
Coolant pipes all over the engine will be getting tired now at 112000 mls - in my opinion change ever single one now as well, you can relax in knowing they were changed.
Coolant expansion tank- no harm in changing that as well and get the small bore pipes new as well while your at it.

The whole circuit becomes unstable and the plastics become very brittle (you've experienced this already)
If your putting 3ltrs in' then its most likely leaking in various points on the circuit already.

Keep the questions coming anyway, there is great knowledge and people on the forum to help you get some way sorted.
These C6 just need attention if they have been neglected. Very normal really. But when it's sorted you'll really enjoy the car.

Best of luck
Dave
MGmike   
Wed Jul 05 2017, 05:25pm
Dave, sorry for the late reply, busy weekend! Thanks for the info.

I think I'll take your advice on the housings, the rigid plastic pipes and possibly the expansion tank, but all the pipes? That seems a little overkill. In all my years and many many miles of driving, I've only had one hose let go and that was on a 25 year old mini. I did noticed one pipe rubbing against a bolt head and I think my approach will be to inspect all of them, replacing those I find compromised.

It might be a false economy in the long run but this was meant to be quick fix and rolling resto. Hmmm, where have I heard that before

Thanks again
vaho   
Thu Jul 06 2017, 06:02am
Well the rubber pipes, as long as they are clamped with original clamps, rearly fail, that is true. But the plastic connectors from rubber to different pipes/housings are prone to fail. I had three of them failing in one year, two of them broke just by doing some work around them and touching the connectors. Some connectors are with permanent plastic clamps, they can not be separated from the rubber pipe and inspected properly(the connector to the EGR cooling pipe for excample(see the rear EGR sticky) which broke in my car). So I suggest to check all the connectors by separating them from the rubber hose where possible, they tend to brake underneath the clamp, which means you can not see any cracks from outside.
vaho   
Thu Jul 06 2017, 10:53am
For illustration one of my broken plastic connectors:

Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club