C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Super Sticky

Practical Advice for Rear EGR Valve Replacement on a 2.7HDi

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
vaho   
Fri May 19 2017, 10:32am
Member No: #2228
Did the front valve yestarday. What can I say, I would take the rear one in any day instead of the front. Was so frustrated that forgot to take pictures. They do not add any information anyway because you can see what you are doing. That includes that you can see that there is no way you can fit your hand with the wrench in certain places or there is no way you can retreive a bolt after unscrewing it. Finally found a way of course and after 6 hours and couple of new bolts was ready to start the engine.

The valve itself was a little bit sticky. It has to fall from the closed position down (open) under its own weight (and vice versa) when the actuator motor is removed but it did not. It did move however if pushed. Cleaned it all up, soaked in owen cleaner, WD-40, carburettor cleaner and so on and it started to move like new. The problem seems to be soot getting into the bushing causing the shaft to stick.
Have not had a chance to hook Diagbox up to see what the airflow is doing but the engine seems to run smoother. It can of course be that it only seems so after so much effort. Either way I now have both valves fully cleaned and operational.

My strong suggestion is that if anybody wants to do it (cleaning or replacing) do something with the radiator to create space. In front turbo replacement guide Citroen is mentioning that the whole cooler cassette can be moved away from the engine, so either that or remove the radiator. The latter includes the cooler cassette operation anyway I think. Even 5 cm extra space helps a lot.

Regards
Vaho
gmerry   
Fri May 19 2017, 12:48pm
Member No: #21
Vaho, I struggled with the front so agree with you that removing the bumper and moving the radiator out of the way would probably be both quicker and less frustrating. Also replace those pesky studs that hold the EGR valve to the cylinder head with the new design which has a 10mm AF head instead of the old 8mm ones (and not so deep so easier to access).

regards
321dave   
Fri May 19 2017, 04:23pm
Member No: #614
Hi Vaho & G,
I agree. If I remember well you can move the cassette forward by about 40mm when the three bolts holding the brackets idir side of the cassette are removed and the famous hidden bolt further down if your taking the whole cassette out, it's just enough room anyway to slide a radiator into position.
321dave   
Tue May 23 2017, 11:16am
Member No: #614

Go to page   <<       

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club