C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

All four wheels off ground

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
FCM   
Sun Apr 30 2017, 07:38am
Member No: #866
I know this has been discussed before but, as an infrequent Forum user, I'm not sure where to find it.

Is there problem with dropping all four wheels simultaneously and its possible effect on the hydraulic system? I've seen something about this having the possible effect of splitting the hydraulic tank.

My C6 is due its MoT shortly. This has to be done at a garage different from the one previously used. It may even be the first C6 the garage has done!

My questions therefore are: is there indeed a problem as I mention above?; does this arise in the course of an Mot test?; is there something I should ask the garage to do to avoid a risk of damage?

Many thanks for someone's help!

FCM
321dave   
Sun Apr 30 2017, 09:08am
Member No: #614
Hi FCM,
The answer to your question is yes, you would need to be careful at the MOT. Yes, the tanks can split if mis-treated. The normal advice is put suspension on top setting and open the cap a little to let it bleed pressure so as to avoid splitting the LDS tank when all four wheels are hanging. Now, (the newer versions of the tank) have a pressure release cap so I don't open my cap anymore at MOT and all has been fine. I have at times seen a little LDS come through the top of the cap, but very little. It's in fact working as intended. Which is good new! Hope that helps a bit.
FCM   
Sun Apr 30 2017, 10:19am
Thanks, Dave. Yes, that helps a lot. Thanks.

Just a couple of further points:

I assume the top suspension setting is the highest: can the MoT be carried out with the suspension raised; or will the car need to be in its normal, road going condition? If so, can the suspension be lowered to normal for the test with the tank cap opened a little?

How can I tell if my cap is the newer kind: it probably isn't in view of the car's age and the fact that I don't think it's ever been changed?

Hope you or someone else can help further.

Many thanks.

FCM
321dave   
Sun Apr 30 2017, 01:24pm
Member No: #614
FCM wrote ...

Thanks, Dave. Yes, that helps a lot. Thanks.

Just a couple of further points:

I assume the top suspension setting is the highest: can the MoT be carried out with the suspension raised; or will the car need to be in its normal, road going condition? If so, can the suspension be lowered to normal for the test with the tank cap opened a little?

How can I tell if my cap is the newer kind: it probably isn't in view of the car's age and the fact that I don't think it's ever been changed?

Hope you or someone else can help further.

Many thanks.

FCM

Hi FCM, it shouldn't be a problem to leave the cap lose and to put the car back to the normal green setting, the cap will still be on the tank (you don't want any dirt particles getting in) and it's only for a short time, and when all is completed and the MOT is over, you just need to remember to tighten it back up again, not very tight (hand tight is fine).
Top suspension as you were correct in spotting is the top setting after pressing the suspension button for up. Car won't raise any further, and it stops at the top.
Regarding the type of cap, It's hard to tell to be honest, as it could have be changed. I think the change in the design was mostly in the internal valve. I believe (could be wrong though) it can be bought separately from the tank, but in any case if you were changing it out it comes with the lastest tank. Hope that helps. Best of luck anyway. Dave.
FCM   
Thu May 04 2017, 12:26pm
Thanks again, Dave. MoT test passed this morning!

FCM
klu   
Thu May 04 2017, 09:23pm
Member No: #2779
FCM wrote ...

The old LDS cap (part No. 4009.L6) has been redesigned and the new one (part No. 4009.V9) has a different vent, see images below.

gmerry   
Thu May 04 2017, 09:31pm
Member No: #21
The "new" LDS cap is just a PSA common part / rationalisation used for power steering systems (same as wife's C4 with electric/hydraulic steering).

Nothing special for HydraActive!!!
robingc33   
Mon Jun 12 2017, 08:04pm
Member No: #2303
After driving at speed over a rather switchback road today...

It's possible to get the car almost into a "zero-gravity" situation over a hump - which is presumably temporarily equivalent to all wheels off the ground(??), but I've certainly not noticed any adverse effects; not that I'd make a habit of it, but one can get caught out!

I'd be interested in any theories on this if you've nothing better to do!

Robin
Tjensen   
Mon Jun 12 2017, 10:15pm
Member No: #954
The difference between a few seconds and the time that makes the (under-)pressure build up and ruin things

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club