C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Wheel bearing?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Sevenman   
Thu Apr 13 2017, 11:32pm
Member No: #2241
I have had a noise from the front of the C6 for a couple of weeks that i thought was tyre related (cheap tyres) but, having just had new tyres on, is maybe a wheel bearing.

The noise seems like it is on the front right / driver's side, but it is hard to tell.

When wheel bearings have started to fail on other cars it had been quite obvious. If you loaded up the failing bearing in a corner it got louder, and if you turned the other way it got quieter. But that was steering enough to get some weight transfer.

This only requires very subtle steering to make noise. Straight steering and turning left is quiet. The slightest amount of right steering (at 70 mph on a smooth motorway) and there is a very distinct hum noise and a bit of vibration. This is not weight transfer as i am steering right so little, so there is really only small changes in suspension geometry.

I also get the noise when going straight if the car is bouncing a bit over undulating road. At the high points of suspension travel / extension you get the noise for a brief moment, at normal height or compression it is quiet.

Has anybody had similar experiences and can provide advice?

Thanks
gmerry   
Fri Apr 14 2017, 06:33am
Member No: #21
When you replace the wheel bearing, make sure you order and fit a new ABS sensor at the same time regards. (in my experience, the wheel bearing will take some time, maybe 5000 miles, to progress to an obvious failure noise)

regards
e3steve   
Fri Apr 14 2017, 11:17am
Member No: #1163
If it's the r/h front it will increase in volume more when turning left than when turning right, as there's more sideload on the journals. It's likely to have been kerbed or potholed at some point.

Have the steering geometry laser checked by a garage or tyreshop, post replacement.

You shouldn't need to do both sides, as they're pretty robust bearings. I'd always replace the rears as a pair, but the fronts are tough but susceptible to poor road surfaces.
Sevenman   
Fri Apr 14 2017, 09:30pm
Member No: #2241
I had thought the noise was coming from the front right, but i suspect that is because of where i am sat and vibrations i could pick up. A bit of roundabout driving today makes think it is probably the left side.

I will see about a the ABS sensor as well.

Still got a loose suspension rattle somewhere when going over certain bumps, will have to get that tracked down. The car seems to like attention...

Thanks for the information.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club