C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Wheel refurbishing and TPMS

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Sevenman   
Sun Apr 02 2017, 07:49pm
Member No: #2241
I seem to have a slow puncture at the front which could give me an excuse to get rid of the Jinyu tyres (the previous owner fitted) on that axle and replace with Goodyear Eagle as on the rear axle (which replaced the Arrowspeed tyres the previous owner fitted).

When I do that I would like to get the wheels refurbed as they have some corrosion and scrapes. There is a good wheel place 30 mins from me that could do this, but i have 2 question topics:

- Is it worth trying to reinstall the TPMS with well-priced sensors off eBay? I assume Citroen are expensive but haven't asked. Currently TPMS is deactivated (as when I bought it) and only 1 of the wheels has a sensor (which probably doesn't work). Forum posts indicate that it can be awkward to get it to work. Has anybody had any success? I don't feel I need TPMS, but if it is simple to fix it may be worthwhile as it is the only thing on the car that doesn't work. Do many people have it deactivated or is it reliable?

- While my wheels are done, does anybody have a spare set they could lend me in exchange for a few £? Maybe if the wheel place can be quick and i can put the car up on stands I will be ok, but i need the car for work. I am near Worcester, but work takes me towards Fleet, Salisbury, Portsmouth and Weymouth.

Thanks for any advice / help.
gmerry   
Sun Apr 02 2017, 08:43pm
Member No: #21
- Is it worth trying to reinstall the TPMS with well-priced sensors off eBay? I assume Citroen are expensive but haven't asked. Currently TPMS is deactivated (as when I bought it) and only 1 of the wheels has a sensor (which probably doesn't work). Forum posts indicate that it can be awkward to get it to work. Has anybody had any success? I don't feel I need TPMS, but if it is simple to fix it may be worthwhile as it is the only thing on the car that doesn't work. Do many people have it deactivated or is it reliable?

I've had great success purchasing fresh stock, updated design from a company called World Car Parts. - Click Here - Don't bother with ebay, sensors will cost more by the time you find they are the wrong parts for your car or are old stock.

When you go to install them make a note of the hexadecimal code for each sensor / wheel and write the equivalent decimal code to the ECU with the help of Lexia, or a tyre dealer that has a TPMS programming tool.

regards
Sevenman   
Mon Apr 03 2017, 09:40am
Thanks for the link, if those are the 'proper' sensors and more reliable, then I will get a set of 4.

My garage suggests it is rare for the central module to go wrong, it is more likely the previous owner (who bought economy tyres) didn't want to spend the extra £££ on getting replacement sensors when they fail.

It may be going in next week for the wheel refurb, will look a lot better when it is done and, with new TPMS everything on the car will work - It is then a waiting game for what might chose to go wrong next...
gmerry   
Mon Apr 03 2017, 03:35pm
I have 8 from that supplier on my car (3 for the winter wheels 1 for the spare/winter).

Make sure your garage has a full TPMS tool, or at least an activator & Lexia

regards
Sevenman   
Tue Apr 04 2017, 06:12am
The garage is an independent. He seems to have the right kit and says he has activated / deactivated plenty of these sensors before...

Once I have been to the wheel place tomorrow so they can have a look and I can get the car booked in, I will order a set of the Siemens sensors.

I can make a note of the hex codes, but will be reliant on the wheel refurb place telling me which sensor went on which wheel when they refit them.

Thanks for the advice.
Tjensen   
Tue Apr 04 2017, 08:51am
Member No: #954
Now there are aftermarket units that automatically copy and pretend to be the originals. Very pleased with this solution on my 8 wheels (CUB universal), but probably you need the originals to copy from to avoid complicated reprogramming.
Sevenman   
Tue Apr 04 2017, 12:49pm
I don't have any originals to copy from, this will have to be done from the start. Hopefully that is going to be ok, will be awkward if my local garage can't manage it.
cruiserphil   
Tue Apr 04 2017, 02:16pm

Member No: #38
Sevenman,

If the garage have a decent TPMS tool it will be able to read the sensor ID fitted to the wheel.

Best regards,

Phil C.
Sevenman   
Wed Apr 05 2017, 09:04pm
Car now booked in for Monday (back Thursday), 4 x TPMS ordered. I shall take some before and after photos.
Jas16   
Tue Apr 11 2017, 09:53pm
Member No: #2994
Hi, I'm interested in the outcome too. The previous owner of mine mentioned that he didn't want to pay for the wheel sensors and i will be looking to do the same thing, ie buy 4 sensors and have them programmed

edit: noticed that german swedish [gsf car parts] have, what looks like the same sensor advertised for £130 each!
Sevenman   
Wed Apr 12 2017, 09:19pm
Getting car back tomorrow, will post some pics.

The £50 / corner sensors are well recommended, so hopefully that will all be fine.
MikeH   
Tue Apr 18 2017, 07:03pm
Member No: #1555
With a little care, you can simply replace the sensor valves with kits like these on eBay. It's straightforward and easy to do and if the batteries still work in the sensors, it seems an expense to change them just for the sake of it. Mine's a 2007 car, the batteries are original and fine on all four wheels and the replacement valves have worked a treat whenever I've needed one. If the valve is seized, don't force it as you'll simply rip out the connector to the sensor. Simply remove the tyre and from then on, replacing the valve is easy. Just a thought.

- Click Here -
gmerry   
Thu Apr 20 2017, 11:27am
Hi Sevenman, any feedback on getting the new TPMS linked in to the car?

regards
Sevenman   
Fri Apr 21 2017, 06:18am
Hello

New wheels look very good and i will have to share the pictures soon.

The car is going in next week for TPMS activation. And for a front left wheel bearing and unknown front suspension rattle.

Updates to follow...
nirgunapa   
Fri Apr 21 2017, 07:11am
Member No: #2672
I'd be interested in knowing where you got the wheels done as I need to do mine!
Thanks
Colin
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club