Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Looking for a C6 - dealer asking price vs online valuation?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Doctorbaz   
Fri Mar 31 2017, 04:33pm
Member No: #3086
Hi folks!
I'm hoping to join the band of happy C6 owners in the next few weeks. I've found several cars from the usual online sources which seem to fit the bill.
My question is around your recent experiences of dealers and haggling for the right deal.
Make no mistake, I'm well aware of the rarity of C6s and that Exclusives seem to attract a premium. However I'm a little worried that the cars I'm keen on are listed online at significantly higher prices than the valuations given by What Car. I'm talking anywhere between £2000 and £2500 more in each case!
Are the dealers' asking prices inflated to reflect what people are willing to pay for these rare cars? Even taking account of a nominal 10% off for haggling to seal the deal, do I need to expect to pay up to 2k more than the valuation to get one?
Anyone have recent experience of this? I'm willing to pay the going rate for a great C6 but want to know the market a bit better to set my own expectations.
Thanks so much for any help!
Doctorbaz   
Fri Mar 31 2017, 04:49pm
Sorry, I should have said, I'm after an Exclusive with FSH, low-ish miles, ideally no lounge pack but not really bothered, in any colour but grey! Changing from a BMW 5 to something much more characterful!
Dan595   
Fri Mar 31 2017, 05:40pm
Member No: #299
I haggled about £4K off (about 20%) when I bought mine, but that was in 2009. Not that they were exactly thick on the ground then.

I suspect cars in good condition with low mileage will sell above book. Just did a What Car valuation on mine and was a little surprised how high it was, to be honest. But then some of the cars on a well-known auction site are more expensive than mine was at 2 years / 5,000 miles.
Doctorbaz   
Fri Mar 31 2017, 05:49pm
Thanks and Hi, Dan595!

That's good to know. I hope there's still some haggle room.
Dan595   
Fri Mar 31 2017, 09:23pm
Take a good look under the car - particularly at the rear - for corrosion. Haggle, and be prepared to walk away. There are others out there. Worth waiting for a good one, the C6 is a great car.
Hattershaun   
Sat Apr 01 2017, 11:26am
Member No: #320
Doctorbaz, I've sent you a PM, I have a car that may interest you.
e3steve   
Sun Apr 02 2017, 09:10am
Member No: #1163
Official Citroën dealer prices will reflect the fact that they must provide the purchaser with a six-month minimum-term warranty for more or less the entire vehicle, fair wear & tear items excluded.

Basics

Non-approved used car dealers must, by law, provide a three month warranty for the power train and running gear, at least, but most other items may still be covered under the The Sale Of Goods Act. Morally, buyers should be offered the opportunity to purchase, at additional cost, an underwritten warranty -- basically an insurance policy (there will be exclusions!) -- and there are many underwriters of such policies.

If something fails, it is assumed that the condition was pre-existing, and unless the seller can prove otherwise the buyer is entitled to repair, replacement or refund for a period of six months.
C6Chester   
Sun Apr 02 2017, 08:53pm
Member No: #2287
I personally think the online valuation's of the C6 are much lower than they actually sell for.

I bought mine about a year and a half ago for just under £6,000 - it's a 2007 2.7, in very good condition, full service history and only done 69,000 miles. Online valuations suggest I should put it on the market for between £3,300 - £4,200.

I've probably spent a couple of £k on the car in that year and a half - just general servicing and wear and tear. If I were to sell it, which I unfortunately may have to soon, I wouldn't let it go for any less than £5,000.
Dan595   
Mon Apr 03 2017, 08:58am
Interesting comparision with C6Chester, my car - very late 2006 2.2 manual with 185,000 miles and full service history - valuation suggests I'd get £3,000 for it. Which as I mentioned above, seems a bit high to me. But definitely agree that good cars sell for more than valuation. Not that mine's a bad car at all, I just think that the number of people prepared to drop £3K on a C6 that is approaching 200,000 miles is probably quite small....

I'm a Cestrian too - have to live away these days though, sadly.
Doctorbaz   
Mon Apr 03 2017, 09:14am
Thanks everyone - really useful responses and I'm much more comfortable with the C6 marketplace as a result. Looking forward to the joys of C6 ownership very soon!

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club