C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Wheel Alignment including REAR wheels

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
gmerry   
Wed Mar 29 2017, 12:30pm
Member No: #21
I have some inside shoulder wear on my rear tyres: not sure if this is caused by wheel alignment alone or also excessive rear camber.

So the first thing is to get all 4 wheels aligned, which raises the little problem of seized rear adjustable stabiliser links.

So I ordered 2 off MAPCO #49417 rear adjustable links - Click Here - To remove the old links, jack up the entire rear of the car, evenly side to side so that the ARB doesn't load up the suspension. Then with the rear wheels off, remove the outboard bolt/screw using a T60 Torx bit. Yes that's a T60 size, which probably won't be in your bit set and will need to be ordered separately. The inner bolt has a 18mm across flats nut that must be removed, so loosen that and tap the nut with a hammer before unscrewing it completely so that the bolt breaks away from any stiction. That nut is hidden beside the electrical connector for the height sensor. There is not a lot of space for your 18mm spanner, especially on the left side due to the exhaust. So use an obstruction spanner or a deep offset ring spanner. Don't be tempted to unscrew the bolt using a T40 torx bit (I did and just broke the bit). Lever off the ball rod end for the height adjuster sensor.

Before installing the new adjustable stabiliser bars, completely dismantle them and rub some coppa slip into the threads - hopefully this will stop them seizing. Then screw them back together and adjust to the length of the old one (don't mix up Left and Right). Then unscrew the ball headed pivot from the old stabiliser bar and install on to the new.

To reinstall the new stabiliser bars, start by screwing in the outer T60 headed bolt. If you do it the other way, the threads on the bolt and the threaded alloy of the suspension vertical link won't line up and you will end up with a stripped thread. Anyway, get the outer bolt started, screw that in but don't tighten it yet and then bend the suspension out a little and with a hammer, tap in the inner bolt. Get the nut on and tighten up the suspension fasteners to the recommended torques. Reattach the suspension height sensor ball joint.

Now get the wheels aligned.

By the way, you may find the ball joints on the rear suspension height sensors rather gritty from corrosion. In which case I'm sure the replacement part number is #527381 (can anyone confirm the part number?)

regards
vaho   
Wed Mar 29 2017, 01:49pm
Member No: #2228
Yes, the part number of the rear (and front) suspension height sensor ball joint links is 527381

klu   
Wed Mar 29 2017, 05:12pm
Member No: #2779
I had my garage replace all 4 height sensor links (#5273 81) after one of them broke causing the front suspension go full up while I was driving on a highway. They are really thin and look different to the ones presented on a service documentation.
It's the same part number for all 4 links. They are not expensive - 5€ per piece at Citroen dealer.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club