C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Heater/Glow Plugs

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Riffe   
Mon Mar 27 2017, 12:16pm
Member No: #1615
Hi there, I am in the middle of starting to change my heater plugs on my C6 2.7hdi
2007 can anyone advise on the removal of the plastic connector on a bank of three plugs, does one just pull the connector off?
Cisco   
Mon Mar 27 2017, 12:46pm
Member No: #1429
Hi there Riffe,

Yes, it pulls off but needs a good tug, I looped some material under it at each plug to get some purchase. Good luck with the job and let us know how you get on.

All the best,

Frank
Riffe   
Mon Mar 27 2017, 02:34pm
Thanks Frank, will let you know, just before I do that I have to remove the oil recoverer which I understand also pulls off, funny that, nothing mentioned in workshop manual.
travlician   
Mon Mar 27 2017, 10:57pm
Member No: #350
Riffe, I changed mine years ago without removing the oil recoverer, didn't feel the need either.
e3steve   
Tue Mar 28 2017, 09:36pm
Member No: #1163
I had to remove practically everything nestling within the vee; I also had to remove the coolant output tank ('stat housing), the fuel heat exchanger, the front bank's injectors and "airbox" (camshafts' cover)! Four of the six glowplugs sheared, in spite of a good overnight soaking in release oil, heat application and gentle teasing with an 8mm socket!

I had to drill and tap them M6 and use a slide-hammer (of sorts) to eventually extract the damnable things...
vaho   
Wed Mar 29 2017, 06:23am
Member No: #2228
The shearing is a really common issue so it is wise to prepare yourself. If you don´t know when the glow plugs were changed or maybe they haven´t changed at all, it is 90% chance that some of them will brake. My car previous owner changed them in the Citroen dealership and 5 of them broke. Citroen charged him some 3 500 euros because their pocedure requires to take the engine out and basically dismantle the heads. It can however be done without taking the engine out. For that this kind of kit is handy:
http://www.lasertools.co.uk/product/5205
Riffe   
Thu Mar 30 2017, 07:20pm
Well I managed to remove all six heat-plugs safely, three were faulty, replaced everything back, thinking that my C6 would now start, no such luck, am now looking else where the as to what the problem is.
At least I have eliminated one fault.
Any ideas would be welcome.
gmerry   
Thu Mar 30 2017, 07:54pm
Member No: #21
What were the starting symptoms (problems?) prior to removing the glow plugs and associated components.

Does it crank over, sound OK.

regards
e3steve   
Sat Apr 01 2017, 10:46am
Member No: #1163
Further to GERRY's question: When cranking, does it sound laboured, and/or does the instrument cluster and the centre LCD flash / blink?

If 'yes', then I'd suspect the starter motor...
Riffe   
Sun Apr 09 2017, 07:35pm
Thanks gmerry & e3steve,
The starter motor seems fine and the engine cranks over as it should, lights stay on.
It just does start, sometimes it tries too fire but thats it.
Me thinks I will have to trailer it in to someone that knows diesels, even though I have ran a diagnostics, for me it is not easy to analyze why it is not starting.

Regards
Cisco   
Mon Apr 10 2017, 10:04am
Member No: #1429
Hi Riffe,

This may sound like a stupid suggestion, however if everything is good and no fault codes are present, then try starting the car with the other key.

It is possible that the imobilliser in the key you are using is faulty.

All the best,

Frank

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club