C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Battery Technology Improvements for C6

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
gmerry   
Wed Sep 06 2017, 08:08am
Member No: #21
For anyone purchasing a replacement battery for their C6, it might be worth reviewing what new technology is available on the market that would fit/suit the C6.

I've been aware of carbon additive enhancements to Lead Acid batteries for some time, eg refer to some CSIRO technology - Click Here - which is mainly aimed at solar energy storage but there is a certain cross over with start stop and micro hybrid battery automotive battery technology.

Anyway, I've just purchased an Exide Premium battery for the other Citroen: surprisingly affordable and a considerable advancement on ordinary Lead(Ca) Acid starter battery performance.

- Click Here -

Carbon enhanced batteries offer high starting currents, lower self discharge rates, reduced material loss from anode (longer life), etc etc

regards
G

Here's a direct replacement in the correct size 190high x 175wide x 353long
EA1000Exide Premium Car battery 017TE

- Click Here -

- Click Here -

Tjensen   
Wed Sep 06 2017, 11:47am
Member No: #954
Thanks for information. My Next battery will be the SA1000 (differet brand in Norway, same battery). AGM is also considered. Existing battery only 3 years and no problems, but the C6 3,0 is a very demanding car in the elctricity Department. Probably the elegant "piloted alternator" system in the 3.0 Hdi is adding to the strain (?)
gmerry   
Wed Sep 06 2017, 03:05pm
AGM technology is very good but HUGELY expensive in the amp hour capacity that the C6 needs, especially if like mine its not used as a daily driver.

The Exide Carbon Boost technology (Yuasa also do something similar) is really making an affordable boost to battery performance.

In the meantime, I'm sticking with AGM for my boat where the ability to operate at any attitude, tolerance to shock loads and ability to operate as a dual purpose starting/house battery are worth paying the considerable premium.

regards
e3steve   
Wed Sep 06 2017, 09:22pm
Member No: #1163
Bear in mind that AGMs require 14.7V in order to achieve full potential, Gerry.

Varta's "start/stop" duty range include AGM, and many cars (and later Volvo Penta marine engines) are being fitted with 15V/115A or 125A alternators, minimum, nowadays.
gmerry   
Thu Sep 07 2017, 08:06am
Hi e3steve, the AGM I'm using for the marine application is an Odyssey. Their recommendations for recharging are 14.1- 14.7 volts. 15 volts will cause outgassing and cause the VR feature to operate which is a partial failure of the battery. Trickle charging needs to be lower, about 13.5 volts but one feature of AGM is their very low self discharge rate so mostly all loads are eliminated in off season and the battery just sits there, subject to very occasional recharge and voltage checks. Obviously it pays to be fussy for a marine application (No AA, jump starts, tow starts possible). Odyssey would be crazy expensive for an automotive application other than for motorsport.

regards
e3steve   
Thu Sep 07 2017, 09:16pm
Thanks Gerry. I fit Optima or Rolls AGMs, whose Tech boys recommend 14.7V bulk charge, dropping to 14.4V in absorption and float.

By the time the voltage gets attenuated by the cable lengths, the Mitsubishi alternator, now fitted to most VP marine diesels, starts life at 15V but is 14.8 by the time is gets to the battery terminals. VP have specified the new 15V alternators, as most marine applications call for a two- or three-bank splitter diode, which has, due to its characteristics, 0.7V 'loss' through the diodes and to each output, and not all OEM yards want to fork out for charging management systems other than the most basic of the aforementioned diodes.
gmerry   
Fri Sep 08 2017, 06:15am
Hi e3steve, yes I'm aware of the diode voltage drop which is why when I reviewed the best way of arranging the batteries, I decided on a "no diode" system. Cabling voltage drop from the alternator to the battery has not been an issue to date.

regards

Note BlueSea Systems offer a range of systems to suit most configurations that do not rely on simple diode system, see here - Click Here -
e3steve   
Fri Sep 08 2017, 08:05am
I guessed that a man of your calibre would be fully-informed!

I'm a Blue Sea Systems' dealer, but I use Sterling Power's PSR devices and PCU chargers, along with Victron or Studer for bigger-budget vessels. slightly...
gmerry   
Fri Sep 08 2017, 10:03am
Hi E3steve, something here about grandmothers and egg sucking (my apologies).

I suspect you are dealing with big boys toys whilst mine is just a wee 90HP thing with a tidler auxiliary - batteries need to be very reliable for starting though.

The horrible old Mariner O/B could be started with a rope (no battery at all). The replacement air assisted direct injection unit need high battery volts (during starting) to keep the ECUs happy and operate the solenoids - such is progress.

regards
G

Note, getting back to the original posting, any direct experience with carbon boosted flooded lead acid batteries?
e3steve   
Fri Sep 08 2017, 01:02pm
No apology necessary; always happy to learn!

90HP is a good-sized engine (VP?); most of the stuff I deal with nowadays is mainly VP D1-30 to D2-75, but I only deal with the electrical & data (MultiLink) side of things.

Yes, ECUs have a nasty habit of disliking voltage decays (as opposed to on or off!).

No. No experience of that battery technology, as we steer owners away from flooded batteries in the marine environment; I encourage them to pay the extra and go fo the appropriate AGM units, if not, then fully sealed at least.
Tjensen   
Fri Sep 08 2017, 03:09pm
Member No: #954
Anada what is the best recommendation for our C6's ? Is AGM the best ? Or the best of the old (carbon reinforced)

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club