C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Key/remote disassembly

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
chrisisbd   
Tue Mar 07 2017, 01:30pm
Member No: #2258
One of our remote 'plips' is broken, the squishy rubber had deformed and popped the tiny switch inside out of its seating. I have repaired the switch OK so that it now works but I need to put the actual key onto a new case.

I have a new key case which has a blank key, what I need to do is transfer the old key to the new case but I can't see a way to remove the metal key from the plastic case. Has anyone done this or know how to do it?

I thought the electronics repair was the difficult bit!
e3steve   
Tue Mar 07 2017, 01:40pm
Member No: #1163
You need to remove the sprung press-button which flips out the key blade from the casing.

You'll also need to have the new key casing's immobiliser transponder memorised into the BSI via Lexia. The transponder chip is embedded into the plastic, alongside the recess where the remote's PCB sits.
Cisco   
Tue Mar 07 2017, 02:44pm
Member No: #1429
Hi Chris,

I have replaced both my key cases as the spring/flip assembly had become weak.

I tried this the way Steve has suggested above but ended up breaking the assembly which I was trying to replace. The correct way to replace the blank with your existing key is as follows..

Press the spring flip button and swivel the key blade 45 degrees. You will see a small recess (about 0.5mm) which contains a locking pin. You need to carefully drive out this pin with a suitable punch type tool. The key blade will now pull out of the assembly. Do the same to your new key and, as they say, assembly is the same operation in reverse!

After you do one it's easy

ATB Frank
PercyPorcelain   
Tue Mar 07 2017, 10:03pm
Member No: #2027
I was lucky enough to the 2 original key fobs but the rubber membranes on both were punctured. One had suffered ingress of dirt/moisture and the microswitch was seized, this may be a goner, though I was going to try a drop of contact cleaner as a last resort. The other is still functioning and I have now managed to protect it with a slip-on cover available on ebay for a couple of quid.
e3steve   
Wed Mar 08 2017, 09:41am
PercyPorcelain wrote ...

I was lucky enough to the 2 original key fobs but the rubber membranes on both were punctured. One had suffered ingress of dirt/moisture and the microswitch was seized, this may be a goner, though I was going to try a drop of contact cleaner as a last resort. The other is still functioning and I have now managed to protect it with a slip-on cover available on ebay for a couple of quid.
There are keyfob repair kits on eBay and comprising new micro-buttons and a fresh battery; I acquired a kit for my old Cougar. You need to be proficient at soldering, but it's simple enough surgery. - Click Here -
All the PBCs in this type are pretty much the same.
e3steve   
Wed Mar 08 2017, 10:21am
Cisco wrote ...

Hi Chris,

I have replaced both my key cases as the spring/flip assembly had become weak.

I tried this the way Steve has suggested above but ended up breaking the assembly which I was trying to replace. The correct way to replace the blank with your existing key is as follows..

Press the spring flip button and swivel the key blade 45 degrees. You will see a small recess (about 0.5mm) which contains a locking pin. You need to carefully drive out this pin with a suitable punch type tool. The key blade will now pull out of the assembly. Do the same to your new key and, as they say, assembly is the same operation in reverse!

After you do one it's easy

ATB Frank

Thanks Frank! That's a good method also. I've only refurbed mine by obtaining used-but-good upper casings and flip buttons & springs, therefore those tend to be a bit worn and the key blades can be removed fairly easily.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club