Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Door mirrors misbehaving when locking / cruise woes / sluggish cranking & hesitant starting

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
e3steve   
Wed Jan 25 2017, 07:06am
Member No: #1163
Occasionally (and erratically) the power-folding of the door mirrors doesn't happen when I lock her up. Does anyone else's suffer this anomaly?

It's no biggie; just a mild irritation (a bit like the occasions when the cruise control goes into a coma, and a mere but assertive jarring of the steering wheel revives it!), but I've noticed that Colin's sometimes does the same. Just unlocking and re-locking via the fob -- sometimes twice -- and all is well in C6land again.

I have Colin's C6 in my care ATM; I'm replacing his starter motor this weekend, as I noticed that the car is beginning to behave the same way that mine once did -- and others' have -- with the sluggish, laboured cranking, the RT3's LCD 'flashing' during the cranking and the reluctance of the engine to fire-up, when cold, without hesitation. And I must be some kind of masochist. Anyway, the non-appearance of the mirrors' power-fold-when-locking has happened just once or twice with Colin's car this week. I've unlocked and locked it a only a couple o' dozen times, but it did happen, nonetheless. It's comforting, I guess, to know that my C6 isn't the only one...

Incidentally, I had a new C3 Picasso for over a year, in Spain during 2011/2012 and before my current (also new, but now four months old) C4 Picasso that I have there. Both 'Exclusive' derivatives, both with lock-up power-fold. Neither had/has ever presented me with the 'I'm not playing' petulance. Newer, more stable CANbus and/or better connectors between the wiring harnesses is my assumption.

Oh, and incidentally incidentally: I started-up C6Steve yesterday, and for the first time since mid-October. It's on SORN and awaiting my attention to various mechanical and electrical things. It's been kept outside but under an elasticated, breathable cover, and with the battery disconnected. I reconnected the ACtronics-tested BSI and the battery, turned the key and she burst into life before the motor had turned a couple of revolutions! The motor 'hunted' for a minute or so, but no black smoke or anything untoward.

And, surprise of all surprises: one press of the cruise's power-on button and the telltale icons in the instrument cluster showed immediately!

I share these experiences because there may be other C6 owners who have noted these anomalous phenomena. Nothing to get perturbed over; we seem to need to learn to live with such issues. Hey-ho...

321dave   
Wed Jan 25 2017, 08:17am
Member No: #614
Morning Steve, not had the pleasure of the key fob experience just yet, but thanks for sharing. I do remember that if you press the fob lock button very fast, you can lock the car without folding the mirrors. This procedure is not mentioned anywhere, but no harm in checking that you didn't perform that particular action on the folding mirrors. It seems to be just a speed of locking thing! or maybe a special quirk of my particular C6, who knows!

Its new front and rear anti-roll bar bushes this weekend for me, no bushes available for the rears, so a new ARB bar as well needed. Tried out a few Peugeot bushings but they weren't really correct replacements.

Best of luck with the starter motor replacement, but you have probably the best experience of any member yet in that regard, should be a piece of cake for you now.

Dave
Tjensen   
Wed Jan 25 2017, 09:25am
Member No: #954
I too have mirror fold-in issues. Actually I call it "the mad mirror syndrome". After a few hard knocks by passing cars on my left mirror the fold-in procedure has been unreliable, and even some incidents of really mad behaviour, fold in and out by itself at irregular intervals. The problems come more often after a "handwashing" companys wash the car and certainly use high pressure water in the area. It is not unrelieble enough to repair, but more than enough to be annoying. Only left mirror. I suspect water/connection problems and suggestions on what to do will be very welcome ! (I have changed the operating switch in the door, it was broken anyway)
e3steve   
Wed Jan 25 2017, 08:32pm
Member No: #1163
Tjensen wrote ...

I too have mirror fold-in issues. Actually I call it "the mad mirror syndrome". After a few hard knocks by passing cars on my left mirror the fold-in procedure has been unreliable, and even some incidents of really mad behaviour, fold in and out by itself at irregular intervals. The problems come more often after a "handwashing" companys wash the car and certainly use high pressure water in the area. It is not unrelieble enough to repair, but more than enough to be annoying. Only left mirror. I suspect water/connection problems and suggestions on what to do will be very welcome ! (I have changed the operating switch in the door, it was broken anyway)
Yep. That certainly smacks of water ingress, I have to say!

Mine and Colin's only ever misbehave as pairs and only when locking up when the non-fold thing happens (thanks Dave for the heads-up on the fob-press; I hadn't given such a function consideration!) so it's a system issue, as opposed to a problem with the mirrors themselves; and my l/h door mirror assembly is only a year on the car (the old one did the same thing).

They never play up when unlocking the car, always deploying correctly...
Norman   
Wed Jan 25 2017, 10:35pm
Member No: #364
My drivers door mirror pleases Itself unfolding or folding when opening or closing the car surprisingly the passenger mirror has never been a problem I suspect the gears in the mirror as if I push or pull it it will start to move into position so It could be a lazy motor.
arconell3   
Fri Jan 27 2017, 11:46am
Member No: #922
Folding door mirror problem

To fix:
- Remove the mirror glass, it is clipped on. (on youtube you'll find many instruction video's, works the same as with most other cars).
- Remove the mirror adjusting motor, 3 torx screws)
- Remove the mirror housing, 4 plastic clips.
- Remove the mirror housing support frame, 2 torx.

Now you'll see the motor housing. Unplug the wiring and clean the plug contacts.
That might do the trick. However, it is better to go one step further.

- Remove the motor cover. It is fixed with one clip and two plastic pins. Cut of the pin heads with a sharp knife.
- Carefully lift off the cover taking care that the pins remain undamaged.

Now take out the PCB and the electric motor. The PCB has 2 square contact surfaces pressing on the contact springs of the motor. Clean the contacts and the springs, solder 2 wires to the contact surfaces, the other side of the wires are soldered to the contact springs.

Rebuild in reverse order, put the motor cover back on while applying a drop of super glue to the pins. This is necessary to prevent the cover being pushed up by the gears.

Obviously, after the OP the motor is permanently sealed. So make sure you do the job properly.

Regards, Robert
Website
Winiton   
Fri Sep 15 2017, 06:01pm
Member No: #3269
Hi all, I found this site while searching for an answer to a c6 problem I have. Sorry for hyjacking this threat, I could not find a better one to post my question.

Unfortunately the right mirror of my parents c6 has been hit causing it to fold in. Now the mirror does not stop at the right position anymore, it fold in when locking the car but you hear the mirror engine go on for a while until it eventually stops. When unlocking the car the mirror folds open but way to far, it keeps going until it can not go any further.

I took the mirror of and apart (with help of some descriptions on this website, thank you very much for sharing the information on here!) to discover that one inside part of the folding engine is in pieces.

Contacted the citroen dealer to find out if they can deliver a new folding engine but they can only provide me with a complete mirror unit for serious money. As you can understand
I am looking into a different sollution since only the folding engine needs replacing and am wondering if any of you know if there are other citroens or other cars that have the same folding mirror engine I could use.

It looks like some c5's do but I am not sure since I have only some poor internet pictures to compare. I would realy appreciate if anyone could help me to help my parents.

Thank you very much,
Winiton
C6Dave   
Sat Sep 16 2017, 06:47am

Member No: #1
Winiton wrote ...

I am looking into a different sollution since only the folding engine needs replacing and am wondering if any of you know if there are other citroens or other cars that have the same folding mirror engine I could use.

Look in the 'Parts' section of the forum, there is someone 'breaking' a C6 who may have a mirror plus there is one on eBay being broken for parts.
Website
pshawfocus   
Sun Oct 15 2017, 11:47am
Member No: #1322
Having experienced the occasional mirror shenanigans I now press the fob twice, more slowly. A nano second longer between the two presses seems to do the trick. The mirrors open and close correctly each time now.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club