C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Does cold affect diesel injectors?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
PercyPorcelain   
Mon Jan 23 2017, 08:14pm
Member No: #2027
I know diesel doesn't freeze but does it coagulate in some way to affect injectors? I had an alarming loss of power on the motorway at the weekend (or more acccurately, a sudden tugging) which was bad enough to make me pull in to the Services. Happily I had a bottle of Redex fuel additive in the boot which I tipped into the tank and managed to get home without further incident. Could it be cold-related? Should I get it checked out anyway?
Stealth   
Tue Jan 24 2017, 10:35am
Member No: #986
Sounds like a sticking EGR valve. I've just had a similar experience with the system logging a depollution fault and a 'risk of blocked particulate filter'. Turns out the rear EGR valve has failed at 147,000 kms (91,000 miles). Awaiting repair at my dealer.
Hattershaun   
Tue Jan 24 2017, 08:27pm
Member No: #320
Could be a partially blocked fuel filter.
When diesel gets cold it becomes thicker (less viscous) and can become like a wax, so blocking the filter.

Fuel bought in the Winter usually has additives to keep it liquid, but can vary from supplier to supplier.

If your filter's not been changed in a while, it's the low cost item to replace.
gmerry   
Tue Jan 24 2017, 10:51pm
Member No: #21
This winter, the weather has not been cold enough to cause diesel fuel problems. By the time the fuel gets to the injectors, the amount of work done (how many hundreds of bars?) causes the temperature to increase, to the extent that a cooler is required for the excess return circuit. So no, it wont affect the injectors, but could affect the fuel filter if that is already partially clogged

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club