New (to me): GK07 UKR C6 3.0 V6 ES9, Petrol & LPG

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
C6Dave   
Mon Oct 30 2017, 06:47pm

Member No: #1
jamescarruthers wrote ...

I assume the other five will soon follow, presumably being the originals and having done the same mileage?

Not necessarily....
Website
bargi   
Sat Nov 04 2017, 05:41pm
Member No: #2590

I assume the other five will soon follow, presumably being the originals and having done the same mileage?

Recemtly I had 2 go in two months. First was in the front row so dead easy to replace.
Second was in the rear so more effort required.
Given the effort to do the rest I decided to do all of them. Last thing You want is to be stuck on the motorway when goes.(and they will never fail at a convenient location

It's not a massively difficult job, took me about an hour and a half.
I found some instructions and video on YouTube of someone with a 407 coupe and same engine.

Mine were a mix of OEM and aftermarket with less than 50k miles, so shows they can go anytime.

I'll see if I can find the videos and instructions. Also took some photos myself.

Go to eurocarparts website, they do a 30% off sale just about every week and buy them from there.

jamescarruthers   
Sat Dec 23 2017, 12:50pm
Member No: #1548
Done Cambridge to Newcastle and back again last week and about to do the same but now running on four Michelin Primacy 3 tyres instead of the noise crappie it came with.

Sods law had me replacing the rears. Waiting for delivery I got a puncture on the front in that horrendous snow we had for about one day down south. Annoyingly, I was hoping to get another 6 months out of the front and have them refurbed-- that will have to wair for now.

I hardly noticed the puncture, I guess due to the missing tyre pressure sensors, hydraulic suspension and tiny sidewalls. So, I now have four sensors installed but not activated yet. Waiting for a trip to B and L for their help. I always thought the sensors were a lazy luxury but now appreciate it on this particular car.

Is there a fan in the radio unit or screen? It's a little noise which isn't the interior fan (blamed it for months!)

Still a fabulous car and slowly getting it near perfect.

Last question, regarding the orange traffic lamp in the front cluster orange. Is the bulb orange or does it go through an orange lens? I had to have one light unit replaced and the new one is VERY orange and the old is quite pale. Makes the front look wonky!
C6Dave   
Sat Dec 23 2017, 07:36pm

Last question, regarding the orange traffic lamp in the front cluster orange. Is the bulb orange or does it go through an orange lens? I had to have one light unit replaced and the new one is VERY orange and the old is quite pale. Makes the front look wonky!

Orange bulbs. If your going to try and change one this time of year when it's cold, be very careful, as the plastic lugs on the bulb holder unit will be brittle.

Best to remove the whole unit, take it indoors and warm it up before trying to split it.

Break a lug and it won't seal properly letting moisture in which will ruin the reflector...

Been there, done that etc.
Website
ul9601   
Sat Dec 23 2017, 08:38pm
Member No: #1975

Is there a fan in the radio unit or screen? It's a little noise which isn't the interior fan (blamed it for months!)

I get that some times - to me it sounds like coming from somewhere in the back of the car, or under the centre console storage. The fan sound usually lingers on after a/c or fan has been turned off.
e3steve   
Sun Dec 24 2017, 09:33am
Member No: #1163
ul9601 wrote ...

I get that some times - to me it sounds like coming from somewhere in the back of the car, or under the centre console storage. The fan sound usually lingers on after a/c or fan has been turned off.

Yes, there’s force cooling in the head units.
jamescarruthers   
Sun Dec 24 2017, 09:49am
Hmm, I wonder if it wants a hoover out or a fan replacement in time
e3steve   
Sun Dec 24 2017, 10:00am
Dave-Retired wrote ...

Orange bulbs. If your going to try and change one this time of year when it's cold, be very careful, as the plastic lugs on the bulb holder unit will be brittle.

Best to remove the whole unit, take it indoors and warm it up before trying to split it.

Break a lug and it won't seal properly letting moisture in which will ruin the reflector...

Been there, done that etc.
Good advice, Dave; but you omitted to mention that the front bumper must be removed in order to get the headlight units out!

I bought Nao LEDs for mine. They’re available - Click Here - on Ali Express. The white ones are good, too, for the front parking lights and numberplate illumination. I’ve kissed a lot of frogs with W5W LEDs; these have been the best!

Heat is the main issue with W5Ws; they get very hot and oxidise (blacken) quite quickly, as the glass envelope is very small for hosting its 5W filament.
e3steve   
Sun Dec 24 2017, 10:03am

Hmm, I wonder if it wants a hoover out or a fan replacement in time

That should work. Dust cruds up on the leading edges of the fan impeller, making it noisy. Same with PC cooling fans...

Compressed air works best!
C6Dave   
Sun Dec 24 2017, 01:15pm

e3steve wrote ...

Good advice, Dave; but you omitted to mention that the front bumper must be removed in order to get the headlight units out!

Realised that I was referring to the wrong bulbs after seeing your reply Steve however it would appear that you can change the left side Orange bulb in the headlamp unit without removing the headlight itself.

The bulb holder can be accessed (OK it's a bit tight and your working backwards) so a twist anti clockwise should free it off so it can be removed?

Right hand side is behind the LDS tank which maybe answers why 1 bulb has been changed and not the other as a pair.....

PS. apologies for the picture quality but it's the angle of the dangle holding the camera backwards to blame
Website
e3steve   
Mon Dec 25 2017, 09:43am
I’ve always managed to replace mine (and those of others’) reasonably easily, but I don’t have pudgy puds, so I can worm my way into awkward spots — albeit paying the price with nicks and tears to the skin!

The r/h/s lateral is best attempted with the left hand inserted above the LDS tank, whilst facing the l/h/s of the car; a sort of backhanded action, palm upwards.
MarkBevan   
Sun Dec 31 2017, 09:34am
Member No: #3172
e3steve wrote ...

I bought Nao LEDs for mine. They’re available - Click Here - on Ali Express. The white ones are good, too, for the front parking lights and numberplate illumination. I’ve kissed a lot of frogs with W5W LEDs; these have been the best!

Heat is the main issue with W5Ws; they get very hot and oxidise (blacken) quite quickly, as the glass envelope is very small for hosting its 5W filament.

Thanks for the tip on those iLight NAO W5W LED bulbs e3steve.

I have a blown sidelamp, and want to replace all of the sidelamp and lateral lamp bulbs, as they give off a yellow light, which doesn't match the white light given off by the headlights !

The write up for those bulbs says 'depending on your vehicle electric circuit, you may need to add a pair of load resistors to prevent hyper/error flashing or malfunction problem', so it doesn't look like these particular bulbs are CanBus friendly. Have you had any problems with flashing or dashboard warnings ? Did you fit a separate resistor in the wire ?

jamescarruthers   
Thu Mar 15 2018, 08:08am
C6 is still going strong.

A few slightly interesting points:
- due to the really cold weather that we had in the UK recently, Autogas supplies have been diverted to prioritise people's housing tank's. Fair enough, but mildly annoying that I can't get LPG. Running on Petrol for now

- this C6 has been doing a few good turns as a community taxi. Essentially picking up a few grannies and taking them to hospital a few times a week. It goes down very well! They are particularly impressed with the comfy passenger seat and the ride

- I forgot the lounge pack seats down fold down so today it is being left at home and my 87 Volvo 480 is going to do the 600 mile round trip in this awful weather to pick up an electric piano (and visit family). It's the only time I've found the C6 hasn't been able to do something. On the other hand the electric rear recliners always wow passengers.

Still love the performance and style of this car.
Go to page   <<       

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club