C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Preventative jobs whilst in the garage

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Ungarsee   
Tue Jan 10 2017, 02:18pm
Member No: #1407
Hello all. I'm going to be booking my 2.7 C6 in soon for various jobs as the MOT is due in Feb and it's just ticked over 90,000 miles. The pads and discs were showing as advisories last year so I'm going to get those changed. Due to age and mileage it seems like a sensible time to get the cam belt changed as well.

Current issues I have are the ABS, handbrake & traction control lights have all appeared (intermittently and typically when wet). I had the ABS sensor changed just over 2 years ago so is there anything else this may be or are they particularly fragile? Lastly the air con refrigerant is leaking as it typically only lasts a year or less before needing a recharge. Is this a typical C6 problem? Any suggestions (and likely costs!) appreciated.

What I'm trying to ask in a rather long winded way is, while these jobs are being carried out is there anything else I should consider getting done based on age (2007) and mileage?

I should add that I am in no way competent with a spanner so will be relying on BL Autos.
frozenbeard81   
Tue Jan 10 2017, 03:10pm
Member No: #2503
2007 will need a cambelt and water pump soon. It's coming up to 10 years or 100k miles.
I know as mine is the same age same mileage. Albeit 95k
gmerry   
Wed Jan 11 2017, 01:26pm
Member No: #21
As the cooling system is such a weakness on these cars (plastic parts), it may well be worth getting BL Autos to pressure test the cooling system before they strip down the engine for the cambelt/water pump replacement. This will find any minor seeps. You might as well get the thermostat tank changed out too, whilst the cambelt end of the engine is apart.

Looking at other issues, I would get the glowplugs all tested and replace them if you have more than say two faulty. The auto gearbox oil should be changed (at least 2 partial changes) and other than that, a good mechanical and electronic looking over (check ECU fault logs).

regards
Ungarsee   
Sun Jan 15 2017, 10:23pm
Member No: #1407
Thanks for the advice, very much appreciated. The car is booked in with BL Autos now for a few weeks time which should give me enough time to prepare my wallet for the shock!
e3steve   
Thu Jan 19 2017, 01:18pm
Member No: #1163
Starter motor! They're back on eBay now: - Click Here -

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club