Extension towing mirrors

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Juggernaut-j   
Mon Jan 09 2017, 11:10am
Member No: #2947
Hi
I have a 2.7 c6 and I will be towing a small caravan (cost me a small fortune to have a towbar fitted) my question is, has any body used extension mirrors on a c6 if so are there any problems as they auto retract when the car is locked does it put strain on thd motors on the mirrors and is there any make that is recomended
Regards john
gmerry   
Mon Jan 09 2017, 12:48pm
Member No: #21
There is a workaround to stop the mirrors retracting. Was posted a few years ago when we had some harsh winters. Somewhere on the site..

Basically retract the mirrors using the control, then just open then manually by unfolding them by hand. Done.
Juggernaut-j   
Mon Jan 09 2017, 02:26pm
I was more concerned about the extra pressure cased by drag on the mirror motors
Regards john
gmerry   
Mon Jan 09 2017, 02:45pm
Member No: #21
Hi John, belated welcome to the forum.

As you probably know, drag force is 1/2 velocity squared x drag coefficient.

Your rig is now limited to 60mph compared to design (max) speed of 138mph for the 2.7.

That is 0.2 times the original design force - OR, your new towing mirrors can have a drag coefficient FIVE TIMES greater than the existing mirrors before you will run into trouble. That should give you plenty of leeway (let's as friends ignore the leverage issue)

Best regards
Hattershaun   
Mon Jan 09 2017, 10:37pm
Member No: #320
I tow and use extending mirrors, without any problems at all. Mirror fold in when locking the car without bothering the extension mirrors, no interference with window or body of car.
I lost a mirror once, which flew off at 60mph never to be seen again.
So, I replaced with cheapies from eBay, £10-15 per pair, with rubber straps to attach to the car's wing mirror.
Some time ago I posted a picture of my mirror attached to the car, it'll be in the archives.

One other tip for towing. I put the suspension in 'Sport' mode, which minimises the car's rear end propensity to bob up and down with the weight of the caravan acting on the towbar.

Juggernaut-j   
Wed Jan 11 2017, 11:22am
Hi thanks I've got round the site more and have found your pictures
John

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club