C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Changing bonnet safety latch mechanism

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Tjensen   
Fri Jan 06 2017, 10:07pm
Member No: #954
The safety latch is in a position for collecting dirt & water (horizontal wire), in freezing cold it will be extra stubborn and sooner or later fail with a broken wire. Happened yesterday. The good news is that the whole complete mechanism is very cheap (18 £). The bad news: It looks complicated to replace. Someone with experience ? The protective plate around the front motor compartment must be taken off and there are many bolts and clips......... Or.... ?
321dave   
Sun Jan 08 2017, 01:19am
Member No: #614
Hi TJ, it's actually easy fit the new latch, and the latest design means your bonnet will open on the safety latch much easier than before, now that's the good news. The bad news is, well it depends. Yours is a newer 3.0, so you might not have the bad rust issue regarding bolts on the slam panel as I had.

If your going to fit the new latch you'll have to do the following:

1. Remove the front bumper
2. Remove the slam panel, its held on by 3 bolts and the middle bolt is recessed and troublesome. Hopefully your bolts will unscrew, if not you'll need to cut it off, then you'll need a new one along with the new lock, and a good tip for the future is to fit if possible rust proof bolts when you reattach!
3. Reattach the release cable from the bonnet open lever to the new lock and slam panel (goes back on fine)
4. If release cable from car is broken. You'll need to reattach a new cable as welll That cable runs along the wing I believe to the interior, that wasn't broken on my particular job.

I'll put up some old photos as soon as I get on to my laptop, photos don't load to site from the iPad unfortunately.

Best of luck and hope that's of some help
Dave
321dave   
Sun Jan 08 2017, 01:39am
[quote]
Hi TJ, it's actually easy fit the new latch, and the latest design means your bonnet will open on the safety latch much easier than before, now that's the good news. The bad news is, well it depends. Yours is a newer 3.0, so you might not have the bad rust issue regarding bolts on the slam panel as I had.

If your going to fit the new latch you'll have to do the following:

1. Remove the front bumper
2. Remove the slam panel, its held on by 3 bolts and the middle bolt is recessed and troublesome. Hopefully your bolts will unscrew, if not you'll need to cut it off, then you'll need a new one along with the new lock, and a good tip for the future is to fit if possible rust proof bolts when you reattach!
3. Reattach the release cable from the bonnet open lever to the new lock and slam panel (goes back on fine)
4. If release cable from car is broken. You'll need to reattach a new cable as welll That cable runs along the wing I believe to the interior, that wasn't broken on my particular job.

I'll put up some old photos as soon as I get on to my laptop, photos don't load to site from the iPad unfortunately.

Best of luck and hope that's of some help
Dave

321dave   
Sun Jan 08 2017, 09:01am
A few more photos I found from the time I removed the radiator (leaking at top seal) for a new unit.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club