Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
onthecut   
Wed Jan 04 2017, 09:26am
Member No: #2793
'
So, if the added weight of the C6 over the C5/ 407, etc
'.

Erm --- No ! We have a 2.2 C5 x7 estate in the household and give or take a few pounds that is the same weight as the C6.

Unlike probably quite a few C6, this C5 really works for its living and at a bit over 100k miles has consumed just one set of rear drop links, one front and is now in need of inner drive shaft joints.

Next time you are in a tyre place or MOT station, have a look under some of the other cars; there's more meat in just one corner of the PSA set up than some makers manage across their entire suspension.

Mike.
Bishop   
Wed Jan 04 2017, 09:44am
Member No: #868
I do and will, thank you. I shall also follow up with Robert on your helpful advice with the FRIP joint.

These cars are probably the last of a noble lineage and I feel very lucky and privileged to be able to afford the running of one.

I apologise if my comments have caused some offence to you and others who frequent the site - I try to be balanced and reflect both the joy of owning such a unique vehicle and what could be seen as some of the trade offs that one experiences for that exclusivity.

Just one point in specific response, I still have the bent 'stub axle' in a box in my garage at home (which is how the part was described to me by my local concessionaire (Slip End Garages)), it's bent, and I have a bill somewhere for its replacement, so it's not mythical to me.

Thanks again for a great site and excellent contributions from yourself and others of such excellent expertise.
gmerry   
Wed Jan 04 2017, 12:01pm
Member No: #21
Hi Bishop, no offence taken nor hopefully given.

I'm not an apologist for PSA but I do feel that overall, the French engineers there do genuinely try and design and make a good product. The quality of the design for the suspension extends to the use of expensive HIPP processing for the main castings so certainly no corners cut there.

The FRIP sealing problems really reflect the state of the automotive industry where vehicle manufacturers are very dependant on suppliers, SKF in this case, to design and manufacture sub assemblies. When they do go wrong, it's a long supply chain with convoluted lines of responsibility to get things correct.

There's a similar story with the cooling components: the designer and supplier of the thermostat tank and hose assemblies (durite is French for hose?), only becomes aware of the issue many years after first supply, probably the vehicles are out of warranty and in this case, will probably never be resolved by a redesign.

But getting back to your bent "stub axle", please post a photo of the component in question. If it is the drive shaft (not a stub axle because it does not play any part in supporting the vehicles weight), the most likely cause is that a sloppy mechanic did not properly torque the nut after performing some suspension maintenance. The problem is that most cars have had several previous owners and who knows what has been previously done on the car by who.

regards
321dave   
Wed Jan 04 2017, 05:38pm
Member No: #614
arconell3 wrote ...

321dave wrote ...

Here's a few for collecting now! Happy new year to everybody.

- Click Here -

First of all a happy new year to all C6 fans and family!

Gina collector cars is obviously a Dutch seller. The 2 C6'es are advertised with an exceptionally low mileage, which makes one wonder: to me that appears rather unrealistic. It looks like the 2,7 came from Germany or at least from a German speaking country, since the RT3 display shows German text.

The 3,0 petrol probably has had its front end damaged, since the plastic rad cover under the hood lacks the 2 stickers. Considering all that, the asking prices are, well, somewhat inflated?

As for longevity, my 2008 2,7 now has clocked 210.000 kms, 130.000 miles, and runs like a dream.
At 200.000 the cam belt was replaced, and the water pipe and and thermostat housing were replaced before they could cause problems. All suspension parts are still the ex-works pieces and in good shape, TÜV (MOT) approved again 3 months ago.

Still, original brake parts are expensive and so are fuel filters and other consumables. Additionally, the extra work every 20.000 kms, for checking and adjusting ride height (which is always done on my instigation) doesn't lower the ownership costs either.

Being mostly moved on German roads I would guess that on average she probably moves faster than her UK counterparts. On longer journeys on motorways I tend to maintain speeds of between 90-110 mph.

I find my C6 very reliable, reasonably economical, and in terms of maintenance and repairs affordable. But above all, she is a beauty and a dream to drive.

Ps: Together with a couple of friends in both Germany and Holland, we started a new C6 website, which, although completely in German and Dutch, does contain a large photo section with hundreds of photo's and video's, taken at various C6-events. So by all means, have a look if you feel like it! - Click Here -

Regards, Robert

Hi Robert,
Happy new year to you. You mention the Gina collector cars, they do seem expensive, but you were surmising that it had sustained front end damage? I think it could also be the fitting of a possibile new Radiator, and they possibly needed to cut the old slam panel as the bolts on mine were so badly rusted I needed to cut the panel out and that destroyed it. That's my experience of why they most likely were missing the stickers.

Dave

arconell3   
Wed Jan 04 2017, 11:48pm
Member No: #922
Hi Dave,

Of course you could very well be right. Still, being a Dutchman by birth, I have met too many Dutch car traders not to be extremely skeptical. Even more so when cars are being advertised that have clearly been imported (as used cars) into the Netherlands, making it impossible to check the cars' history both in terms of previous accident damage and mileage.

The only way to get at least some information on the cars' history is through a Citroën dealer, by looking up the VIN on the Citroën factory server. Very often you'll find that information only for the first 3 or so years, after that most cars went into the used car market and are then very often serviced and repaired outside the official Citroën service network.

Anyway, being LHD, I don't think these C6'es will end up in the UK, but if anyone here on this forum is interested in buying a C6 in Holland, be very careful and if in need of help, drop me a line.

Regards, Robert

Website
Kaloteck   
Thu Jan 05 2017, 03:56pm
Member No: #1271
My bro wants one and actually found an interesting one in Holland - take a look - - Click Here -
Is it NOT a good idea to buy in Holland?
This NAP thing is OK, right ?
arconell3   
Thu Jan 05 2017, 11:27pm
Hi Kaloteck,
As far as I can see that all seems to be genuine enough. However, it still doesn't tell you anything about the technical state of the car. The price is including Dutch VAT, 21%.

This document - Click Here - tells you more about the car. It was originally registered in Holland. The Ganache is called red on the registration papers. The MOT (Dutch: APK) expires 28-06-2017.

On the picture with the invoice you can just decipher the VIN, VF7... Jot it down and take it to a friendly Citroën dealer near you. Ask him to run it through the Citroën server and you might find out a lot more.

If the car is in good condition, i.e. not in need of major repairs or service, the price is high but not unreasonably so. It is an asking price one would expect from a Citroën dealer, including Citroën Select warranty.

Good luck!
Robert
Website
Kaloteck   
Fri Jan 06 2017, 05:00pm
Member No: #1271
Thanks for the tip. BTW, that Dutch VAT, 21% is it the same as Mehrwertsteuer ?
arconell3   
Fri Jan 06 2017, 11:50pm
Hi Kaloteck,
Yes , but the percentage is different. 21% in Holland, 19% in Germany. Just out of curiosity, what is the word for Mehrwertsteuer in Polish, and what is the percentage?

Regards, Robert
Website
Go to page   <<       

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club