C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Steering Screech

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
onthecut   
Mon Dec 12 2016, 07:49am
Member No: #2793
Noticed this morning a screeching noise on first turning the steering wheel from a cold start. On a conventional system I would have put it down to a slipping belt, but I don't recall seeing a steering pump pulley when I did the belts. I also now realise I haven't a clue about how the system works on the C6.

Is this a screech of impending doom or something less troubling ? I suppose if the steering loads the electrics it could still be a belt noise, but all the belts and all the tensioners are new.

Mike.
vaho   
Mon Dec 12 2016, 10:39am
Member No: #2228
Hi. The system is conventional though, it has a mechanical pump, high pressure and low pressure pipes. The only difference is that there is no separate oil in the system, it uses the same hydraulic LDS fluid and is connected to the LDS fluid system. So it may well be that the pump pulley is screeching, or the belt, or something in that region.
321dave   
Mon Dec 12 2016, 11:29am
Member No: #614
vaho wrote ...

Hi. The system is conventional though, it has a mechanical pump, high pressure and low pressure pipes. The only difference is that there is no separate oil in the system, it uses the same hydraulic LDS fluid and is connected to the LDS fluid system. So it may well be that the pump pulley is screeching, or the belt, or something in that region.

Hi Vaho,
I've replaced a lot of the auxiliary belt pulleys for new with the exception of the steering pump pulley, I'm wondering how much longer will it last, I guessing like the rest of the car it's only seeing service from my self and its currently on 131000.

Dave
Trainman   
Mon Dec 12 2016, 01:19pm

Member No: #86
I've had this on mine if I park at a certain angle, almost like the car has no power steering, the Steering feels heavy and then all of a sudden goes light.
furriegurrie   
Mon Dec 12 2016, 02:46pm
Member No: #2448
Are you sure there is sufficient LDS in the tank?
onthecut   
Mon Dec 12 2016, 03:54pm
Still confused (easily done ). As I recall, the cam belt only drives the cams and the aux. belt does the water pump, alternator and air con. If there is a separate power steering pump, whereabouts on the engine is it and does it share the main suspension fluid tank ?

Mike.
onthecut   
Mon Dec 12 2016, 04:00pm
PS -- just found the relevant bit in the tech docs. Must have been asleep when fitting belt. Question is, why is it sqealing --- . Fluid OK in main reservoir.

Mike.
Bishop   
Tue Dec 13 2016, 02:55pm
Member No: #868
Has the power steering pipe failed? - mine made strange sighing noises and would judder when turned quite hard on roundabouts, for example. Warning ... not cheap to fix!
onthecut   
Tue Dec 13 2016, 09:29pm
Not sure of the pipe setup. When I first had the car and the bumper off, I noticed a new pipe and integral small cooler assembly. I presume this is part of the steering setup ?

When yours failed, was it because of a leak to the outside -- in which case I guess fluid would be visible -- or did it fail due to internal delamination and blockage (if it's a flexi) ?

Mike.

vaho   
Wed Dec 14 2016, 07:31am
The pipe setup:

vaho   
Wed Dec 14 2016, 07:43am
Just realized that you have steering on the right hand side
This is the assembly for your car, the pump is located in the circle:

onthecut   
Wed Dec 14 2016, 08:53am
Hi Vaho.

Thank you for the diagram.

On mine, it is pipe assembly No. 4 that has been replaced which I now guess is the return leg of the system. My instinct would be that these give out because the cooler section corrodes through, being in a pretty exposed position.

I have checked and appear to have no LDS loss in a couple of thousand miles, so I guess I don't have a leak issue, at least.

Mike.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club