C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Reasons for loss of power?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Sevenman   
Thu Dec 01 2016, 09:18pm
Member No: #2241
C6 is running smoothly, no warning lights, but feels low on power. 2.7 engine as most are, with a mere 111k miles.

Building up speed when changing lanes on the motorway, or accelerating up hills, is notably poor. This is before and after gearbox flush. MPG appears to be fine.

Nothing obvious wrong, any ideas for likely places to look?
speedfix   
Thu Dec 01 2016, 11:21pm
Member No: #1043
Possible fuel filter needs a change!
travlician   
Fri Dec 02 2016, 12:21am
Member No: #350
Had that before particle filter clogged completely. Lots of messages in Lexia but no MIL or message on display in car. Suggestion: check logs with Lexia (or alternative).
gmerry   
Fri Dec 02 2016, 07:42am
Member No: #21
To add to the previous suggestions, check air circuit values with Lexia, especially turbocharger boost (from memory, the Mechanics guide has some specification values).

If still no joy, remove the inlet throttle body and clean out all the crud which is likely to be there, restricting airflow.

Best regards
Sevenman   
Fri Dec 02 2016, 07:47am
Member No: #2241
Thanks for the suggestions. Fuel filter has been done in the last 10k miles. Will get looks checked with Lexia and see where we go from there.

Would be good to test boost levels, but mechanics guide sounds like a dealer thing?
onthecut   
Fri Dec 02 2016, 08:54am
Member No: #2793
If you haven't already, worth removing the engine top covers and doing a visual check for oil spray. On the one I recently acquired, the front of the engine turned out to be drenched in oil, emanating from a split turbo hose.

Mike.
321dave   
Fri Dec 02 2016, 09:26am
Member No: #614
onthecut wrote ...

If you haven't already, worth removing the engine top covers and doing a visual check for oil spray. On the one I recently acquired, the front of the engine turned out to be drenched in oil, emanating from a split turbo hose.

Mike.

Hi Mike, that's interesting, which hose do you know was split? Might be worth checking that one out. Doing my rear brakes in the morning. Might put that on my inspection list tomorrow.
Thanks for that.
onthecut   
Fri Dec 02 2016, 11:00pm
Member No: #2793
Hi Dave.

In a sense I couldn't have been luckier with mine; the split hose was the simplest of all to fix. If you take off the main plastic engine cover you will see that the flattened stainless pipe that runs over the top of the engine is joined by a short length of hose to a 'Y' piece. On mine it was that short piece of hose that had given out.

The thing that puzzles me is why ? It's not a hose that is subject to abrasion, excess heat or any other nasties as far as I could see. The main thing I noticed was that the turbos between them are clearly letting plenty of oil through (relatively; 100k miles) so if there is a split or leak anywhere on the pressure side you should see some telltale oil.

When I first acquired the car I happened by chance to be talking to a guy with a Disco with the same engine and as soon as I mentioned it had a smoking problem he said without hesitation to look at the turbo piping. Maybe the spec of some of the hosing isn't all it should be.

Mike.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club