C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

TPMS- How should it work?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
furriegurrie   
Sun Nov 27 2016, 12:56pm
Member No: #2448
I've replaced my 18" wheels with tpms for winter wheels. These do not have sensors. I was expecting to get alarms about tire pressure. But for the first couple of kilometers nothing happened. The picture showed the normal, a car with 4 green tires. After a while these changed to blinking orange tires. But no alarm or anything? Is this normal? It doesn't seem right to me....
David Hallworth   
Mon Nov 28 2016, 12:45am

Member No: #90
If you loose pressure then it will alarm on the dashboard to say you've got a puncture. If you move wheels around it can take a few miles for them to update on the screen.

As you've removed your sensors the car won't be able to find any of them so the symptoms of the flashing orange wheels on the screen makes sense. If it's lost comms with the wheels maybe there's no alarm, I'm not sure. If it's not alarming, at least it saves you switching it off and you know the 4 sensors were working if they were green when you started out.

When you switch back to your normal wheels now, after a few miles you'll see the wheels go green again

David.
cruiserphil   
Mon Nov 28 2016, 11:12am

Member No: #38
I had a failed TPMS sensor which produced the flashing icon. After a short time on each journey a one off message saying "tyre pressure not monitored" would appear for a few seconds.

Best regards,

Phil C.
gmerry   
Mon Nov 28 2016, 02:02pm
Member No: #21
As per Phil's reply, you will get the occasional warning announcement if running on winter wheels sans pressure monitors.
furriegurrie   
Mon Nov 28 2016, 03:02pm
So the consensus is the system works as designed.
This weekend I'll move the winter tires to alloy rims and I'll install new tpms at the same time. I already put them in the car with the Lexia some 6 months ago. So if they are fitted to the wheels and the wheels to the car and I've been able to wake them up (they are brand new ones) after a few kilometers driving the picture should show 4 green wheels again!
gmerry   
Mon Nov 28 2016, 04:12pm
Yes, should work but have a look first in Lexia and see if there are already 8 sensors in the database. If you introduce additional sensors to a full database, the ECU gets confused and/or will not recognise them.

Futhermore, for writing sensors to the ECM, you really want a TPMS activator /transmitter.

regards
furriegurrie   
Mon Nov 28 2016, 04:40pm
There were free spaces when I introduced them to the car.
I'll be in a Citroën garage Saturday and they have the tool to activate the sensors. The seller confirmed they are in sleep mode now to conserve their batteries.
So I'll also have a official lexia or Diagbox available should the need arise....
furriegurrie   
Mon Dec 05 2016, 11:41am
So tires changed from the steel rims and now on the 17" alu rims (from a C5 exclusive). Looks a lot better.

Unfortunately I was unable to get the new sensors to work. We had the original Citroën tools available. Tried to use Diagbox and a tool you should hold close to the sensor with the wheels inflated to around 4 bar (which supposedly sends the 125 kHz signal to wake the sensors up), but could not get them to work...
The 2 sensors in both rear wheels showed a PASS on the testbox after trying to wake them up, the front ones didn't. But none of the sensors seem to talk to the car. The display just shows the orange wheels, not the green version with OK next to them.

I might have another go later after firstly removing the manually added sensors.
Does anybody have any other ideas or suggestions

gmerry   
Mon Dec 05 2016, 12:04pm
My experience is with Lexia and ATEQ VT15 tool (transmitter for awakening a sleeping transmitter or "forcing" the read function.

Firstly, better to write the transmitters to the ECU if at all possible (but note decimal to hexadecimal conversion required - see this website). ALWAYS make a permanent note of the transmitter IDs

Secondly, follow the Lexia (Diagbox?) routine to the letter if reading all 4 sensors - don't try doing this wheel by wheel, do the entire set

Thirdly, the dealer tool for awakening the transmitters is very poor, my dealers failed on my new transmitter whereas the VT15 worked perfectly first time.

regards
G
furriegurrie   
Mon Dec 05 2016, 01:56pm
I have the numbers in the ECU, did that as you mention by making decimal numbers from the hex numbers on the sensors. I've got full detail pictures of the sensors too, so can find any data/numbers that are on them.
We did do the procedure for all 4 wheels (while the numbers were already in the ECU), but it was unable to communicate with each wheel. Tires were inflated to 4 bars approximately. I do have my doubts about the dealer tool too, it doesn't seem to be consistent. The rear sensors will pass on this tool, but not always within the same time frame. It might take 20 secs to respond, but the time before was 3 for instance.

So I need to find a tire shop with a decent tool to wake up the sensors it seems...
gmerry   
Mon Dec 05 2016, 06:06pm
The cost of my VT15 was less than what the dealer charged me for the failed attempt to wake up my sensors (but he blamed my sensors, which I had already fitted - live and learn). As it turned out, the sensors were fine so it must have been the (useless) dealer tool.

regards
G
furriegurrie   
Wed Dec 07 2016, 07:33am
So this weekend I put the Michelin Alpin winter tires on the alu rims I bought a while ago. 2 pictures

As mentioned we didn't succeed in waking up and adding the sensors to the car. I visited Euromaster yesterday at the end of the day to see if they could be of help.
They required me to make an appointment for actually adding the sensors to the car, but they did quickly check to see if they could read them with their tool. And they could! All 4 respond, have a full battery and are indeed inactive.

So I'll make an appointment and I'll bring my Lexia for them to add them to the C6. I'll bring my Lexia too, just in case their system will not negotiate with the car...
321dave   
Wed Dec 07 2016, 08:32am
Member No: #614
Lovely colour scheme!! Very elegant! Well done getting your TPMS system back online as well. Nice safety system when In good working order. It's a job I need to do again when I install fresh new sensors hopefully in the new year. Thanks again for posting the pictures and the setup information.

Dave
gmerry   
Wed Dec 07 2016, 08:35am
So the dealer tool (is this a Facom branded tool?) doesn't seem to work!
e3steve   
Wed Dec 07 2016, 08:44am
Member No: #1163
I had all sorts of issues in trying to get the decimal conversion (I used the scientific calculator on my phone) to work with Lexia and with Snap-On's Solus Ultra.

The Solus worked fine, using the hex code on the sensors!
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club