Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: Owners Reviews and Road Tests :: C6 owners and drivers reviews

Citroen 'Metropolis'/DS9 to replace the C6?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
C6Dave   
Mon Aug 23 2010, 06:34pm

Member No: #1
From 'Autocar':

Citroen DS9?Citroen is working on bringing two of its recent concepts to production: the Metropolis upmarket saloon, which could be badged DS9, and the Survolt sports car.

Citroen’s attempt at breaking into the European executive saloon market with the current C6 hasn’t been successful, but PSA design boss Jean-Pierre Ploué told Autocar that Citroën must persevere, and the Metropolis is the model that could do this, coming to European showrooms as a range-topping DS model

“We cannot afford to let the likes of Audi, Mercedes and BMW forge into Citroën’s heartland supermini territory without fighting back and pushing into theirs,” he said.

He added: “Selling large luxury cars in Europe is not easy at the moment, but I believe Citroën has a great deal more to bring to the market.

“A large, characterful DS flagship model — we could call it a DS9 to reference the original DS19 — could do great things for us.”

Ploué also suggested that developing such a car for the Chinese market, and badging it as a Citroën, would be a sound financial bet.

The Survolt project, meanwhile, has produced a running prototype that gave a demonstration run at the Le Mans Classic race meeting. It has an identical specification to the concept car, giving it 248bhp and 738lb ft of torque.

“It’s still our intention to put the Survolt into low-volume production, and we’re pursuing the idea of a one-make race series,” our source confirmed.

Source: Autocar

From Autoexpress:

From the Champs Elysee to China, tomorrow’s Citroen-owning exec will cut a global dash! That’s the emphatic message sent out by the beguiling new Metropolis luxury concept set to take a bow at the Shanghai World Expo from 1 May.

With the C6 limo now in its fifth year, this svelte four-door hybrid gives a tantalising glimpse of how a future replacement would prioritise style and grace in a bid to take on luxurious rivals such as Jaguar’s XJ.

Designed from start to finish in Citroen’s Shanghai studio, the 5.3-metre long car reinforces just how important China is to the firm. Sales were up 57 per cent in 2009, and the market is now its second biggest after France.

The Metropolis takes a more sober approach than many of Citroen’s recent concepts, but keeps the same show car design language of the DS3 hatch. The familiar blade detail ahead of the front wheel arches runs elegantly into a thin metal strip separating the headlights.

Down the flanks, a prominent crease creates a shoulder effect that tapers inwards and down to the boot, with its active spoiler. However, the heavy surfaces are broken up to dramatic effect around the nose thanks to details such as the plunging grille, the badge cutting into the bonnet and the ‘floating’ undertray that brings to mind the aggressive 2008 ‘GT by Citroen’ concept.

No pictures of the cabin have been released yet, but Citroen claims that the styling will be ‘partly inspired by Chinese musical instruments’. The Metropolis’ hybrid drivetrain incorporates 2.0-litre V6 petrol power mated to an electric motor to deliver 460bhp, while emitting 70g/km of CO2.

Source: Auto Express

At 5.3 metres it's even longer than the C6 and would be a nightmare to park in the UK.

Well, any thoughts on this anyone. It does seem to back up the rumours of the demise of the C6.
Website
tonyrome   
Mon Aug 23 2010, 07:30pm
Member No: #15
Several months ago, I read that Citroen are aiming for the Chinese market with the Metropolis, which is just as well because I can't see this selling at all in the UK, certainly not in any significant numbers. The size of the thing is not just a bit bigger than the C6, it's huge. We're talking about larger than an S-Class! It will be totally impractical in the UK and, come to that, most cities in Europe. Parking will be a nightmare.

Whether the Metropolis is produced or not, I'm still convinced that the C6's days are numbered. Despite Citroen's denials, it's obvious that the C6 has been massively unsuccessful and I would bet that it'll be disappearing from the UK next year or 2012 latest.
Trainman   
Mon Aug 23 2010, 07:39pm

Member No: #86
I have to say that I for one this car!!

C6Dave   
Mon Aug 23 2010, 10:00pm

Steve, where would the front numberplate go without spoiling the lines?

Nice pictures though, I searched but couldn't find any like those
Website
Trainman   
Mon Aug 23 2010, 10:14pm

Member No: #86
C6Dave wrote ...

Steve, where would the front numberplate go without spoiling the lines?

Nice pictures though, I searched but couldn't find any like those

Number plate

Pics - Click Here -
c6bern   
Wed Aug 25 2010, 05:35pm
Member No: #148
C6Dave wrote ...

Designed from start to finish in Citroen’s Shanghai studio,

... by children who've never scratched their knuckles on a DS or SM.
RichardKC6   
Thu Aug 26 2010, 02:25pm
Member No: #49
tonyrome wrote ...

Several months ago, I read that Citroen are aiming for the Chinese market with the Metropolis, which is just as well because I can't see this selling at all in the UK, certainly not in any significant numbers.

It doesn't matter what Citroën make and try and sell in the UK - until they get their dealer support, training and logistics up to scratch they're never going to meet the requirements of the C6's (and Metropolis') target market.
C6Dave   
Tue Mar 20 2012, 07:00am

Well it looks like Citroen will be launching the car for the Chinese market at the Bejing Motor Show according to Autocar
The saloon is inspired by the Metropolis concept, which starred at the World Expo in Shanghai in 2010. The concept was seen as an executive saloon that could take the fight to the German brands that dominate the sector.

Although the DS9 – the name is a reference to the original DS19 – and the other two new DS models will be China-only at launch, Banzet said the firm was open to offering them in other markets, including Europe.

“They could end up elsewhere as we have a worldwide ambition with DS,” he said.
Website
theguardian   
Tue Mar 20 2012, 08:08am
Member No: #645
god this car looks fab i wouldnt care where the front number plate went but just one thing if this is to take over from the c6, and me for one hope they build it better than they did with the c6 along with better dealership customer service cos if they dont the ds9 will flop big style
but again what a fab looking car
mark28   
Tue Mar 20 2012, 02:11pm
Member No: #102
Looks amazing but to echo what has already been said, Citroen are not set up to support a car of this standard .

ChrisHunter   
Sat Mar 24 2012, 09:46am
Member No: #188
Noticed the 'DS9' just now on Autoexpress
C6Dave   
Sat Mar 24 2012, 10:43am

Looks like they were doing a photo shoot on the car

For me, if that's the production version then it's not something that would appeal

(Wonder how tall the Chinese model is, she looks about 7 foot!)
Website
Hattershaun   
Sat Mar 24 2012, 11:58am
Member No: #320
That looks stunning. I'd have one today. Bye bye C6, it was nice knowing you!
ciao_chao   
Sat Mar 24 2012, 02:12pm
Member No: #518
Stunning? I think it looks fugly! Big Citroens of old have always been quirky but elegant, (the equivalent of a Couture Dress) but this...it looks like an overgrown DS3! To me it feels more Stella McCartney than Christian Dior.
BruceB   
Sat Mar 24 2012, 02:36pm
Member No: #234
Unless it makes a serious contribution to the aerodynamics of the car, I think that rear spoiler rather lives up to its name by completely spoiling the lines.
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club